Official NYU 2009 waiting thread

IronDuke

So I'm confused...based on my visit day experience I was expecting an offer, and on the results page I saw that several people have already been notified. Post here:

1) What your status is (accepted, still waiting, rejected)

2) How/when you were notified

3) If you have any inside info or scoop on the process

Also mention your field. Just for the record, I'm not desperate, it's just that I have offers from elsewhere and I need to start thinking seriously about decisions.

i got nothing. :lol:

6 people have posted acceptances so far, 1 posted a waitlist notification. i read somewhere around here that NYU said they were taking 15 people this year, 2-3 people per subfield. so if 6 of 15 have posted acceptances, i think it's safe to say that's it. last year a few people were notified of acceptances in late march, and one person was notified on april 14, the day before the cut off, so there's certainly still hope of getting in, but if NYU isn't your top choice it's probably safe to start making other arrangements.

i had applied for latin american and caribbean history. oh well.

Howdy-

I'm the Chinese history guy from the prospectives weekend. My potential advisor e-mailed me on Feb. 25th to let me know that the final decisions in the department had been made and that I had been accepted. However, I just received the official letter from the Graduate School the day before yesterday.

So as far as I know, all the decisions are made (have you been in touch with Prof. Goswami after the weekend?), but the official notification seems to be lagging behind the department's decision-making process.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you think they are sending the rejection emails out one at a time, or in mass? I didn't get one.....yet, but my guess is that I'm rejected.

My Rejection began with this:

"When you submitted your application for admission, you indicated that

Graduate Enrollment Services could contact you by email regarding the

status of your application. This email is your official decision letter

from the Graduate School."

Maybe you didn't specify you wanted to be notified by email?

I checked but definitely marked the box where it says to email me updates. Who knows I'll probably receive my email tomorrow or some time later this week. Still kinda weird/annoying.

Did you ask to be considered for a master's program as a secondary choice? I know I did, and I think that's why I still haven't heard from them. For more information, see http://history.fas.nyu.edu/object/admissions.update

Did you ask to be considered for a master's program as a secondary choice? I know I did, and I think that's why I still haven't heard from them. For more information, see http://history.fas.nyu.edu/object/admissions.update

I applied to one of the joint Ph.D. programs and that process takes longer to being with. There was no option to check whether or not I would consider the master's as a secondary choice (don't think I would, because I already have my M.A. from NYU), but I think department to which I applied automatically defers people to the M.A. if they aren't accepted to the Ph.D. The website states that we'll have to wait until early April to hear? That's insane!

Um...did people actually get invited to the prospective weekend and then get rejected? Because I went, and didn't think that I was that impressive, and then about a week later I got an email saying I was on the wait list. And I know the same thing happened to a few other people who were there. So I thought that everyone who got invited to the thing and but who weren't admitted were put on the wait list. But did anyone get an outright rejection?

Regarding MA thing... I doubt it. I applied to NYU last year straight towards PhD from undergrad. I had hoped that they would at least consider me for a MA in Judaic Studies but no such luck.

Waitlisted as of February 27th. And this is after spending a year-and-a-half in a MA program at NYU. I, however, did not get invited to prospective students weekend, oddly enough. I knew about it, but I was out of town anyways so I wasn't going to be able to make it.

Waitlisted as of February 27th. And this is after spending a year-and-a-half in a MA program at NYU. I, however, did not get invited to prospective students weekend, oddly enough. I knew about it, but I was out of town anyways so I wasn't going to be able to make it.

Me too--minus the waitlisting part.

NYU's GSAS seems to lack a bit of tact to me. theirs was easily the most expensive application fee and yet they send out generic two-line emails. they invite people to the prospectives weekend and don't even offer them waitlist places, or they don't invite students to the prospectives weekend when they're enrolled in their own MA program! if a student's already attending NYU, they'd know about the weekend and it's not as though the school would have to pay for their airfare or hotel, so why not just invite them?

it seems very, very odd. not to take anything away from the individual professors there, because many of them are great academics who publish some truly outstanding work, but i get the sense that prospective students feel more jerked around by NYU than any other school. i know that i do.

Dang, NYU waitlisted their own students? Kind of makes me glad that I didn't push for MA consideration when I applied for PhD. I don't know whether it's enough of a reason that MA students ought to be accepted, or at least be on the very top of waitlists, that they worked their butts off and paid all the money to make their dreams happen.

NYU's GSAS seems to lack a bit of tact to me. theirs was easily the most expensive application fee and yet they send out generic two-line emails. they invite people to the prospectives weekend and don't even offer them waitlist places, or they don't invite students to the prospectives weekend when they're enrolled in their own MA program! if a student's already attending NYU, they'd know about the weekend and it's not as though the school would have to pay for their airfare or hotel, so why not just invite them?

it seems very, very odd. not to take anything away from the individual professors there, because many of them are great academics who publish some truly outstanding work, but i get the sense that prospective students feel more jerked around by NYU than any other school. i know that i do.

Was your envelope actually sealed? :mrgreen:

Dang, NYU waitlisted their own students? Kind of makes me glad that I didn't push for MA consideration when I applied for PhD. I don't know whether it's enough of a reason that MA students ought to be accepted, or at least be on the very top of waitlists, that they worked their butts off and paid all the money to make their dreams happen.

Yes they did. This is also after I had three tenured professors in my department write me letters of recommendation AND assure me that I would be getting in. At least one of them, hearing my plight, let me know before I got the official one-page NYU email announcement that I was waitlisted. There is some internal politics going on at the moment that I'm privy to and not going to broadcast here, but the whole things sucks. Makes me a little annoyed that I put all my eggs in that basket.

As for my other schools:

Rejected: Columbia, Cornell, Yale.

Waitlisted: Rutgers & NYU

I'm still waiting to hear from George Washington. Didn't they say they were going to drop their rejections/acceptances by the second week of March or am I just making that up?

I'm still waiting to hear from George Washington. Didn't they say they were going to drop their rejections/acceptances by the second week of March or am I just making that up?

I e-mailed GW a couple weeks ago. I was told that they'd already sent out their acceptances (all *six* of them) and put nine on a waitlist (apparently not me). They will not, however, formally reject anyone until they know that all available slots will be filled from this initial list of fifteen.

On the off chance that I do get un-rejected, I'd personally rather go somewhere that (A) actually wants me and (B) didn't lose my transcript. I'm not just looking to fill a slot here. (Indiana, if you're reading this--you're the exception!)

Was your envelope actually sealed? :mrgreen:

it was an email this year. but last year when i was accepted to their journalism/latin american studies dual MA, nothing actually arrived in the mail until the end of april and nothing was sealed. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
Um...did people actually get invited to the prospective weekend and then get rejected? Because I went, and didn't think that I was that impressive, and then about a week later I got an email saying I was on the wait list. And I know the same thing happened to a few other people who were there. So I thought that everyone who got invited to the thing and but who weren't admitted were put on the wait list. But did anyone get an outright rejection?

I did. Still bitter.