Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

Congrats!

I got Columbia's as well! Officially heard back from everywhere that I needed to!! Decision time.. 

@neuroendocrinology, you really have great lists there...congrats!

Hey! So I met a lot of you guys who interviewed at both UW and UCSD. Can someone please help me make a pros/cons for each place? I'm really torn between the two!

Program-wise or city-wise? Seattle has enough infrastructure that you don't need a car. You can find a place close to campus AND cool bars. San Diego has lots of sprawling suburbia but has a beach and it's in the seventies year round. TOugh choice.

Hey! So I met a lot of you guys who interviewed at both UW and UCSD. Can someone please help me make a pros/cons for each place? I'm really torn between the two!

I haven't heard back from UW but interviewed at both -- I have to say, I've always liked having seasons but SD was SO beautiful!

Don't know your subfield but here's my impression of ucsd

+ work/life balance, weather, good systems/computational, Salk, scripps, rapidly growing area for biotech, good for allergies, pet friendly, cheap(ish) grad housing

- traffic, expensive, la jolla isn't the most exciting place, not many monkey people if you're interested in that, no snow, grad housing isn't dog friendly

Edited by epsilon

Don't know your subfield but here's my impression of ucsd

+ work/life balance, weather, good systems/computational, Salk, scripps, rapidly growing area for biotech, good for allergies, pet friendly, cheap(ish) grad housing

- traffic, expensive, la jolla isn't the most exciting place, not many monkey people if you're interested in that, no snow, grad housing isn't dog friendly

what are "monkey people"? sounds not cool

Program-wise or city-wise? Seattle has enough infrastructure that you don't need a car. You can find a place close to campus AND cool bars. San Diego has lots of sprawling suburbia but has a beach and it's in the seventies year round. TOugh choice.

Program-wise, mostly, and general happiness level of students. So UCSD has a bigger stipend and travel funding for conferences, Scripps and Salk were awesome, but I have to say I was more impressed by the grad students at UW. They were very down to earth, fun, and I felt like they were more comfortable talking about their research. Not sure, but could this be indicative of better mentorship at UW?

SD is slightly more expensive than Seattle, especially once your two years in subsidized grad housing run out and you also factor in gas for having to drive everywhere and whatnot so the stipend difference shouldn't be a huge deal.

The biggest difference I noticed with the grad students was at the poster sessions. At UW, all the students seemed to explain their stuff really well whereas at UCSD the grad students were like "well, what do you want to know?" One guy kept using acronyms and referring to "the currently accepted model" without bothering to explain wtf those were and when asked to clarify, just used more acronyms, hoho. I think UCSD was also the only school I visited where there wasn't a grad student seminar session, but maybe I'm remembering wrong??

Edited by dendy

Need help deciding between NYU CNS and JHU Neuro. I am finding it impossible to decide between the two. If anyone else has been to either interview please feel free to weigh in with a pros and cons list for either program.

I have also officially decided to attend Caltech. This thread has been more than wonderful, helping me a lot during the process. Thanks for @mccamel to open this one, and I am surprised my post is 700th...! Gluck to y'all in deciding schools..!

• 2 weeks later...

I was informed that I'm on the waiting list in the 1st place of Rutgers' system and behavioral Neuroscience, what's the chance it turns into an offer? Thanks

It would be hard to put an approximate number for that chance, but if you are in the first place, your chance looks very high. It is well known that at most 50~60% of admitted students take the offer.