Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from UCLA since their second interview date is coming up in March.  I saw someone post that they were invited last week, but I also saw someone say that they received a rejection email and on the website.  That being said, I've heard nothing back yet and it still said my decision was pending on the decision link... so I am just wondering.  Thanks guys... any info would be appreciated.

Cheers!

They said there would be a decision after the 25th.

Congrats on the interview! From what I've gathered on this thread, most people haven't even heard about interviews from the NGP (including myself). About 3 weeks ago someone had contacted the department about when interview invites would be going out and they were told that the department was still reviewing applications (no time frame was given), so maybe this is contributing to the long response time? Since then I haven't seen any other posts about interviews.

Good luck!

thnx alot!! Good luck to you too :)

Congratulations!  That's great!  You must have done really well on your interview.   :)  

I got wait-listed. I'm not sure whether or not I should just accept Duke at this point or wait and see about Vandy, Emory, and Wake.  I would be happy at any of the schools, I'm pretty sure.  Not even sure which one I would pick if I had all of them as options.  

Thanks stmwap! From what I understand Emory's wait list is short and quite active so I think there is a good chance that it could turn into an acceptance. Even without that you have some great programs to choose from! Good luck!

I have a general question that's kind of silly, but just wondering what everyone's take is.

A current neuro student that is attending an east coat school noted that many PIs were moving from the west coast schools to east coast ones. Basically, the message was that California would not be the "place to be" for neuro during my doctorate studies. I hesitate to take this at face value, but....

Any thoughts? (Esp. with all this budget talk..)

Edited by epsilon

I have a general question that's kind of silly, but just wondering what everyone's take is.

A current neuro student that is attending an east coat school noted that many PIs were moving from the west coast schools to east coast ones. Basically, the message was that California would not be the "place to be" for neuro during my doctorate studies. I hesitate to take this at face value, but....

Any thoughts? (Esp. with all this budget talk..)

I think it rests on a lot of different factors. 

In terms of budget, it really depends on which California school we are talking about. UCSF, for example, relies very little on state funding for its yearly budget, despite being a "public" school. Arguably, the east coast is "better" in the sense that there are more big named private schools with a huge focus on research and consistent NIH funding. 

In terms of research, it also depends on what you want to study. It's arguable that computational neuroscience is really the future; if that is indeed the case, than the east coast is also a better fit as most programs here have a heavier emphasis on computation. 

Fundamentally though, at our stage, I think we should just focus on which PIs we want to work with. 

I think it rests on a lot of different factors.

In terms of budget, it really depends on which California school we are talking about. UCSF, for example, relies very little on state funding for its yearly budget, despite being a "public" school. Arguably, the east coast is "better" in the sense that there are more big named private schools with a huge focus on research and consistent NIH funding.

In terms of research, it also depends on what you want to study. It's arguable that computational neuroscience is really the future; if that is indeed the case, than the east coast is also a better fit as most programs here have a heavier emphasis on computation.

Fundamentally though, at our stage, I think we should just focus on which PIs we want to work with.

Definitely true about thinking about PIs first- this is sort of just food for thought. Although if it is true profs are switching coasts that could be an issue if your poi/close collaborators follow suit.

Interesting point about comp neuro though.

Edited by epsilon

Has anyone heard from Columbia? When are they making their decisions?

I'm not sure which weekend you were at but I did the first interview weekend (Feb 7-8) and heard back from them on Feb 18 if that helps. 

Rejected from CU Boulder today. Certainly happy that I got into Emory, especially since I was rejected from everywhere outside of my home state.

Just saw an Emory Neuro acceptance on the results board. It looked like that person might accept, so if you're on here, PM me. Hoping to find out who is in my class.

Just saw an Emory Neuro acceptance on the results board. It looked like that person might accept, so if you're on here, PM me. Hoping to find out who is in my class.

Hey LMac!

That would be me. I posted that acceptance yesterday. I'm still not entirely sure but I think I'll most probably join Emory.  :)

You havent heard anything yet after interview?

I wasn't invited to interview (so maybe I wasn't considered for admission?) but I'm also an international applicant so that might be why. Any way, when did you receive your good news? Which prof will you be working with?

Did anyone here attend the 2nd Columbia Neurobio & Behavior interview weekend (Feb 21 - 22)? I was wondering if anyone had heard back from them yet. If you have, could you please let me know?

I know that the earlier interview group heard back about 10 days after the interview, so it should be next week. It's one of my first choices, so I'm really anxious to know.

I wasn't invited to interview (so maybe I wasn't considered for admission?) but I'm also an international applicant so that might be why. Any way, when did you receive your good news? Which prof will you be working with?

@Mecasickle, if you are not invited to an interview, I am afraid that's not a good news. I am an international student as well, and I was invited. I was invited about mid January, did the interview in early Feb, and received the acceptance mail three days after the interview weekend. Gluck!