Accepted to Duke today... anybody else?

caleb.roberts811

I haven't heard anything from them. I would imagine I'd at least get an email if I didn't get in. I suppose I'll continue waiting, since it's that time of year.

I emailed them to find out what my status was (I'm out of town for a while so checking my snail mail was out of the question). I have no idea what kind of movement there is from the wait list to admitted status (if any at all) on average at DDS. If anyone out there has any insight it would be appreciated. For now I'm focusing on the facts that I wasn't flatly rejected and that not everyone admitted will attend.

• 3 weeks later...

bigsh: I'm currently at Duke Div, and from what I've gathered, people who get waitlisted have a very good chance of being accepted. I think this is especially true in your situation since you applied during the first round. Also, I can confirm that there is no "re-evaluation process" for applicants who are waitlisted; being waitlisted means that your credentials were good enough to get you in, but they just didn't have room for everybody. In other words, depending on how many accepted applicants decline their offers, if a spot opens up for you, then you're automatically in.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed them to find out what my status was (I'm out of town for a while so checking my snail mail was out of the question). I have no idea what kind of movement there is from the wait list to admitted status (if any at all) on average at DDS. If anyone out there has any insight it would be appreciated. For now I'm focusing on the facts that I wasn't flatly rejected and that not everyone admitted will attend.

Congratulations on your waitlist status. That sounds sarcastic, but it is a great accomplishment! I was on the MTS waitlist. For the MTS, they accept roughly 25 applicants and 10 wait list students in an attempt to end up with 20 students per year. Because of the low number of students who actually come, getting off the waitlist is less likely.

For the MDiv program, they try to end up with 150 new students per year. I believe it is much easier to get off the MDiv waitlist because there are many accepted students will go elsewhere, and this is even into consideration the fact that the waitlist will be bigger than the MTS's.

They do not rank their waitlist at all and, as Ubi charitas has mentioned, they have already determined that you are good enough to go to Duke.

Call admissions and ask them what you can do in your situation. They will take additional items.

Edited by Windfish

Windfish and Ubi,

Thanks for all the helpful info. I have been accepted to the MDiv program for the Fall semester of 2013 and was wondering if you think that department has created a wait-list for funding? Also, since I was passed-over for a scholarship on the first of the three award dates, do you have any idea what my chances are of receiving a fully-funded offer? 

Best,

N

Congratulations!

I can't say I know specifically about full-funded offers. I can say that, if you are United Methodist, you can expect a greater chance at funding. There is, of course, the automatic 33% grant they give you, which you WILL receive unless your income was significant. The other 66% can be at least partially covered by the Duke Endowment or by donor scholarships, but I'm afraid I don't know anything specific on that.

Best of luck!

Windfish and Ubi,

Thanks for all the helpful info. I have been accepted to the MDiv program for the Fall semester of 2013 and was wondering if you think that department has created a wait-list for funding? Also, since I was passed-over for a scholarship on the first of the three award dates, do you have any idea what my chances are of receiving a fully-funded offer? 

Best,

N

Check out my reply to your other post on the thread "Duke Divinity Funding..."

• 2 weeks later...

Applied to Duke M.Div before the 2nd deadline of Jan. 10. Really hoping to get into the dual MSW/MDiv program, but I've heard that is really tough. Regardless, I've been accepted into UT Master's of Social Work which has relieved some stress. Looking forward to getting my admissions statues in 3 weeks! Social work or divinity??? We shall see...

Applied to Duke M.Div before the 2nd deadline of Jan. 10. Really hoping to get into the dual MSW/MDiv program, but I've heard that is really tough. Regardless, I've been accepted into UT Master's of Social Work which has relieved some stress. Looking forward to getting my admissions statues in 3 weeks! Social work or divinity??? We shall see...

One of my roommates is in her 4th and final year of that program. If you get in and have questions, let me know and I can forward you along to her.

Wil, 

Were you accepted into Duke's MDiv program? If so, did you receive funding information?

Thanks jdmhotness!

And religioustiger, no I have not got accepted into the M.Div. yet. My reference letters didn't get in until Jan 2 so I am under the second admissions deadline of Jan 10. They said they would have admissions status 6 wks after, so it will be another 3 wks (Feb 21 give or take). Funding would be nice.

Thanks jdmhotness!

And religioustiger, no I have not got accepted into the M.Div. yet. My reference letters didn't get in until Jan 2 so I am under the second admissions deadline of Jan 10. They said they would have admissions status 6 wks after, so it will be another 3 wks (Feb 21 give or take). Funding would be nice.

Good luck to you, Wil. Perhaps we will meet this year on campus. 

Windfish and Ubi,

Best,

N

Congrats!

Thanks jdmhotness!

Good luck! Still waiting to hear too.

Thanks for the input regarding the waitlist.  I emailed Rev Shea and asked about timeline for waitlist decisions.  He said that the goal is for folks in my situation to know around the time the next batch of results are sent out, but that's not a guaruntee of a decision.  I didn't ask about submitting additional materials, but there's not much that I could do to change my application.

Thanks for the input regarding the waitlist.  I emailed Rev Shea and asked about timeline for waitlist decisions.  He said that the goal is for folks in my situation to know around the time the next batch of results are sent out, but that's not a guaruntee of a decision.  I didn't ask about submitting additional materials, but there's not much that I could do to change my application.

Additional recs can't hurt!