Accepted to Duke today... anybody else?

caleb.roberts811

belichick,

That was kind of my thinking.  I already had an extra rec on the initial application which is more than enough for now.  I think inundating them with extra stuff now could be percieved as a little to desperate.  My extra rec was someone I owed it to to let them write for me.

Hey all wait list and January 10th applicants, 

I just emailed admissions to find out if decisions will be dispersed this week or next week. According to the admissions office, they are making decisions this week and hope to notify all applicants by next week of their admission status. I'm sending prayers and sanity to all those who are waiting! 

I just emailed admissions to find out if decisions will be dispersed this week or next week. According to the admissions office, they are making decisions this week and hope to notify all applicants by next week of their admission status. I'm sending prayers and sanity to all those who are waiting! 

"by next week"...meaning some this week?

Thanks for the update and prayers Min.Indy. I noticed you have UNC MSW as your program. I take it that you are trying to get into the dual degree or already in the MSW already? The reason I'm asking is that I'm hoping to get into the dual M.Div/MSW. 

Edited by wil_2004

Thanks for the update and prayers Min.Indy. I noticed you have UNC MSW as your program. I take it that you are trying to get into the dual degree or already in the MSW already? The reason I'm asking is that I'm hoping to get into the dual M.Div/MSW. 
I am currently enrolled in the MSW program at UNC. I am reapplying for the dual degree program with Duke. The social work program is a great one. Here's hoping to see you in August!

Got an acceptance call this afternoon too! Congrats to everyone!

I applied after the merit scholarship priority deadline. I asked, and they said if I had not already been contacted about a merit scholarship, then I didn't get one--they have all been handed out. There is a chance, however, that someone can turn one down. In that case, it'll go to someone new.

I was accepted to Duke this evening. I was also told that I would have been contacted if I had received a merit scholarship. To be honest, I am somewhat confused at the lack of funding. Duke is awfully expensive otherwise.

Edited by Reformer1689

I was accepted to Duke this evening. I was also told that I would have been contacted if I had received a merit scholarship. To be honest, I am somewhat confused at the lack of funding. Duke is awfully expensive otherwise.

It is strange, but most of the MDivs I know do not have great funding. They are one of the less-funded divinity programs out there (of top schools). Strange. 

Keep in mind they fund their field placements up to $7,500-$9,000, and you can do three. So if you do 33% grant scholarship (~$6,000) + $9,000 that is essentially a 75% tuition scholarship for everyone. All you have to do is get into the program. 

I got a full tuition Duke scholarship when I entered the MDiv program in 2009, so the field ed money was just a really nice bonus (if you do the math, the pay is absurd... something like $60/hour for church intern work). Many of my friends were on 1/3 or 1/2 scholarships, but used field ed money to shore up the remaining tuition they owed. Some folks still had significant debt, but I didn't know a single person who regretted enrolling. I know I would have gladly paid to study with Jeremy Begbie, Stanley Hauerwas and Reinhard Huetter, among others. I wouldn't blame a soul for choosing to go to Princeton, Yale or some other well-funded school. But if Duke is your top choice and you get in, I highly recommend trying to make it work financially. There is no better theological faculty in the US.

I got a full tuition Duke scholarship when I entered the MDiv program in 2009, so the field ed money was just a really nice bonus (if you do the math, the pay is absurd... something like $60/hour for church intern work). Many of my friends were on 1/3 or 1/2 scholarships, but used field ed money to shore up the remaining tuition they owed. Some folks still had significant debt, but I didn't know a single person who regretted enrolling. I know I would have gladly paid to study with Jeremy Begbie, Stanley Hauerwas and Reinhard Huetter, among others. I wouldn't blame a soul for choosing to go to Princeton, Yale or some other well-funded school. But if Duke is your top choice and you get in, I highly recommend trying to make it work financially. There is no better theological faculty in the US.

Thanks, SDG2!

Hi all (hey, first post),

I was accepted to the MDiv with 50% merit aid yesterday.  I was very excited for about 30 mins...until I opened my email to see an even better offer from UChicago's MDiv.  I need to take a few days to mull over their very different programs, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to turn Duke down.  Hopefully that'll give my place and the money to someone who's a better fit for their theological program!