Accepted to Duke today... anybody else?

caleb.roberts811

Hi all (hey, first post),

I was accepted to the MDiv with 50% merit aid yesterday.  I was very excited for about 30 mins...until I opened my email to see an even better offer from UChicago's MDiv.  I need to take a few days to mull over their very different programs, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to turn Duke down.  Hopefully that'll give my place and the money to someone who's a better fit for their theological program!

Here's hoping that person is me!

Did they inform you of the 50% merit at the same time as acceptance? Congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

I've loved my time at Duke. Make sure to take advantage of all the incredible resources while you are here. 

Kuriakos,

Any insight into the funding process; and, why some have heard while others haven't 

• 2 weeks later...

So are people still waiting on Duke for funding info? I sill can't get a word out of admissions. Does anyone know how many scholarships they award on the second scholarship period. Should I just expect 50% at this point?

So are people still waiting on Duke for funding info? I sill can't get a word out of admissions. Does anyone know how many scholarships they award on the second scholarship period. Should I just expect 50% at this point?

For which program?

I cannot believe duke treats applicants this way. They refuse to even let me know where I am on the list for scholarships. I have other offers and I have voiced that fact to them. 

That kind of sucks. Not to be a downer, but do you want to go there if they are giving you the run around like this now? One of my deciding factors was the sense I got from the department as a whole, that they would work with me toward the things I want to do.

I cannot believe duke treats applicants this way. They refuse to even let me know where I am on the list for scholarships. I have other offers and I have voiced that fact to them. 

Kind of agree with you here. Duke Div. Admissions has been the least responsive/helpful out of all of the schools I've been dealing with. From response (email) times to the actual substance of the information they have given.

Kind of agree with you here. Duke Div. Admissions has been the least responsive/helpful out of all of the schools I've been dealing with. From response (email) times to the actual substance of the information they have given.

Agreed.

I just received my financial aid letter via email from Duke Div. I pray that everyone else receives their letters today so that they can make final decisions. 

I have a formal visit scheduled next week and I was wondering why they have been so slow in responding... they are dealing with all the financial packages! Best of luck to all of you!

My friend is on the faculty at Duke. She tells me they are seriously understaffed this year and are dealing with some staff transitions and challenges behind the scene. I don't think it's anything personal, they're just struggling to keep up at their busiest time.

Thanks for the info. It would have been much easier for them to simply inform applicants of the situation rather than attempt to deal with the hundreds of calls and emails that result from leaving stressed applicants in the dark this late in the application season. For those of us who have yet to receive our financial award is it fair to assume that all of the 100% scholarships have already been given out?

Thanks for the info. It would have been much easier for them to simply inform applicants of the situation rather than attempt to deal with the hundreds of calls and emails that result from leaving stressed applicants in the dark this late in the application season. For those of us who have yet to receive our financial award is it fair to assume that all of the 100% scholarships have already been given out?
Yes from what I gathered. All 100% and 75% scholarships were granted when decisions were given. There is a SLIGHT possibility that someone could decline it but it is extremely unlikely

Yes from what I gathered. All 100% and 75% scholarships were granted when decisions were given. There is a SLIGHT possibility that someone could decline it but it is extremely unlikely

I fear that this is the case. However, given the numerous scholarships that Duke offers for the Masters of Divinity I assumed, wrongly, that there would at least be one or two people on here who would claim one.