French PhD 2013, anyone?

Soleil ت

I'm waiting for PSU and Minnesota before taking it all into consideration. 

Hey Patrick,

I was also waiting for Minnesota and I would advise you to email the DGS (Wall-Romana) to ask him about your status. That's what I did and he notified me of my rejection but, on their website, it still shows that my application is "awaiting program decision". I believe they already selected applicants (at least, that's what he said in the email) but keep the other applicants waiting in case some of the students they selected decline. 

Penn State is probably doing the same thing. I accepted their offer a few days ago but I think they are still waiting on two other applicants to make a decision before they send offers/rejections to other candidates.

Congrats about NYU! It is an excellent program!

Thanks for the info, Johann, and congrats to you, too! I took your advice and received a quick response informing me that I was not selected for the first round of admits, but I am under consideration for the 2nd round, if I want to be. 

Guess so, Verisa. I'm just ready for the last few decisions. Luckily, I'm escaping to Lisbon for the weekend, so I'll try to stay patient and enjoy my last month or so in Europe. 

I am so happy that I have to choose between two programs, but to be honest I find it hard to know that I will have to let go of one of the two.

I can really sympathise with this!

All the chips have fallen on my apps---except Columbia, naturally---so now I'm between NYU and UCLA. I could follow my interests at either school, and if I'm lucky, the funding will be about equal (waiting for word), so the choice doesn't seem nearly so stark as it does for you... What kind of questions are folks asking themselves as they make their decisions? Is it really, ultimately, about faculty and interest fit? Or are you weighing other factors?

wmb, That seems like a great position to be in! I really believe in the faculty and fit. I've also been researching job placement, opportunities abroad, as well as contacting students to see how active and supportive the department is. If you choose NYU, I will probably see you there. 

Hi guys,

Congrats on all the acceptances and my condolences for the rejections. Right now, I'm sitting on one unfunded offer and one funded offer. I hate making decisions too! :'(

Many things can still happen till April 15th, so hopefully you'll get funded offers from both programs, m! But for now, it must be such a tough decision to make :(

I just got news from Vanderbilt. They do have a slot to offer after all and are considering me along with two other applicants. They said what really matters now (considering no one has already accepted an offer from another program, of course) is which one fits best with the program and faculty. As my main interests are in postcolonial literature, 20th and 21st francophone lit from the Caribbean and more particularly Haiti, migrant lit in Quebec, etc.. Duke and Vandy were my top choices. I may not even be accepted at Vandy eventually, but they'd like to know if I'd like to visit. I'm traveling right now, till April 8th, so it might be difficult to go. I am also wondering whether being the only student in my class would be a problem - doesn't sound like the best situation to me, but maybe it wouldn't be that bad, I don't know. I guess i should first ask some questions about what kind of funding they would offer, visiting, etc... and then go from there.

Also, I would really appreciate any input you had on the two programs, their strengths, weaknesses, or even the cities, etc... :)  

Vanderbilt are pretty inconsistent! Sorry cicada, I can't really help you with your dilemma, all I can say is that it's good that you have one, at least you have somewhere to go!

I've just been rejected from Columbia but they're still going to review my application for a masters there (an unfunded one probably, and I know they say this to everybody, so I have no illusion). 

Still waiting to hear from the other unis, not looking good though...  :(

Hi guys, finally something good for me. I got admitted to UF with assistant-ship today! 

Congratulations on your acceptance!  As Indiana continues to tell me that they currently have no information on funding, UF's offer of assistantship (tuition waiver, health insurance and stipend) and Atkin fellowship ($5,000 just offered to me today) is starting to look like a winner!  I'm excited by the prospect, since it's an hour away from my hometown where my family still lives.  Perhaps I will see you in the Fall!

In other news...  I've still not heard anything from Louisiana or UC Davis.  As these aren't dealbreakers for me or anything, I'm not stressing about getting an acceptance or rejection, but the neat-freak side of me wishes that I had answers from all my programs so I could mark them all of my list and be done! 

Many things can still happen till April 15th, so hopefully you'll get funded offers from both programs, m! But for now, it must be such a tough decision to make :(

I just got news from Vanderbilt. They do have a slot to offer after all and are considering me along with two other applicants. They said what really matters now (considering no one has already accepted an offer from another program, of course) is which one fits best with the program and faculty. As my main interests are in postcolonial literature, 20th and 21st francophone lit from the Caribbean and more particularly Haiti, migrant lit in Quebec, etc.. Duke and Vandy were my top choices. I may not even be accepted at Vandy eventually, but they'd like to know if I'd like to visit. I'm traveling right now, till April 8th, so it might be difficult to go. I am also wondering whether being the only student in my class would be a problem - doesn't sound like the best situation to me, but maybe it wouldn't be that bad, I don't know. I guess i should first ask some questions about what kind of funding they would offer, visiting, etc... and then go from there.

Also, I would really appreciate any input you had on the two programs, their strengths, weaknesses, or even the cities, etc... :)  

Congratulations on the good news from Vanderbilt!  I'm surprised to hear that they are offering a position after all.  It makes sense that you would be considered; it seems all the programs want you ;) to be honest with you, my gut instinct is telling me that you should stay with Duke.  I'm not sure why; maybe because you'll be the only one admitted this round or maybe because their indecision about having available positions doesn't sit well with me.  I just get this feeling in my stomach that you'll be happier at Duke. When I was looking into programs, I too was applying to Duke and Vanderbilt, despite the differences in faculty interest.  Duke's program especially was very appealing to me.  They have an awesome program, great faculty and they are very supportive to the grad students they bring in.  Their program is very strong, unlike how Vanderbilt feels to me -- weak and unsecured (at this time -- I know they are very highly ranked in French studies overall). 

I can say, however, that Nashville is lovely and a lot of fun -- from what I hear, of course.  I've only been in the airport.  :rolleyes:

This is just speculation, of course.  I know you'll make the right decision.  Keep us posted!

Edited by m ♥

Congratulations on your acceptance! As Indiana continues to tell me that they currently have no information on funding, UF's offer of assistantship (tuition waiver, health insurance and stipend) and Atkin fellowship ($5,000 just offered to me today) is starting to look like a winner! I'm excited by the prospect, since it's an hour away from my hometown where my family still lives. Perhaps I will see you in the Fall!

Lucky you on the fellowship stuff! They did not offer me such good things. Congrats. I plan to attend this fall there, so if you are sure that you will attend then we definitely will be classmates. We should keep in touch!

Congratulations on the good news from Vanderbilt!  I'm surprised to hear that they are offering a position after all.  It makes sense that you would be considered; it seems all the programs want you ;) to be honest with you, my gut instinct is telling me that you should stay with Duke.  I'm not sure why; maybe because you'll be the only one admitted this round or maybe because their indecision about having available positions doesn't sit well with me.  I just get this feeling in my stomach that you'll be happier at Duke. When I was looking into programs, I too was applying to Duke and Vanderbilt, despite the differences in faculty interest.  Duke's program especially was very appealing to me.  They have an awesome program, great faculty and they are very supportive to the grad students they bring in.  Their program is very strong, unlike how Vanderbilt feels to me -- weak and unsecured (at this time -- I know they are very highly ranked in French studies overall). 

I can say, however, that Nashville is lovely and a lot of fun -- from what I hear, of course.  I've only been in the airport.  :rolleyes:

This is just speculation, of course.  I know you'll make the right decision.  Keep us posted!

Many thanks for your input, m! I really appreciate it. I think you're right, I also feel that Duke is the right fit for me, their program does sound awesome and are indeed very supportive of grad students. Being the only student in my class at Vanderbilt would definitely not be for me, and like you said, I would also be worried about (current and new) budget cuts and would probably get less funding opportunities along the way, which would make the atmosphere between students more competitive, I think.

I hope you'll get a funding offer from Indiana soon, but if not, UF does sound like a good place to go :) Plus, you'd be close to your family, which is always great to have around especially when you need to take a break from the stressful life we'll all probably live in grad school.

Vanderbilt are pretty inconsistent! Sorry cicada, I can't really help you with your dilemma, all I can say is that it's good that you have one, at least you have somewhere to go!

I've just been rejected from Columbia but they're still going to review my application for a masters there (an unfunded one probably, and I know they say this to everybody, so I have no illusion). 

Still waiting to hear from the other unis, not looking good though...  :(

If you still haven't heard from them, you should be on their waitlists so keep faith! hope you'll get good news soon.

Hi guys, finally something good for me. I got admitted to UF with assistant-ship today! 

Congrats, Fransces! maybe you and m will be classmates^^

Hi everyone, just wanted to let all of you know that I have accepted NYU's offer for the MA, and I'm really excited about it! There was a very slim chance of getting off the wait list at Minnesota, so I put an end to that. To be honest, this year in France has really confirmed my passion for education, as I've been working twice or three times the hours of a normal teaching assistant, and I wouldn't mind starting my career in high school after this degree. That will be another discussion, but for now, I will take a deep breath and celebrate. I hope those with decisions will be able to do the same very shortly! 

Congratulations, Patrick! That's really fabulous + I'm delighted that you're so happy.

Still on the fence over here, but a strong chance we will be classmates!

Hi everyone, just wanted to let all of you know that I have accepted NYU's offer for the MA, and I'm really excited about it! There was a very slim chance of getting off the wait list at Minnesota, so I put an end to that. To be honest, this year in France has really confirmed my passion for education, as I've been working twice or three times the hours of a normal teaching assistant, and I wouldn't mind starting my career in high school after this degree. That will be another discussion, but for now, I will take a deep breath and celebrate. I hope those with decisions will be able to do the same very shortly! 

Congratulations, Patrick! I am really happy for you. I have not heard back from Boston and Penn State, but I kind of give up the two of them. 

So crazy how long we have all been feeling the emotions of this process, together on the forum and also apart... And now it's almost over!

Congratulations everybody on your good news. I will be sharing my decision soon as well. :)

Hi guys. Now it's my turn to ask for advice!

Yesterday, I was called by a professor at UC Davis who told me I was admitted to the department. Today, I received my 2013-2014 funding package info: a $14.6k fellowship to help offset the cost of out-of-state tuition (which is over 30k), and a 50% TA position, which pays 17k a year as salary and offers an in-state tuition waiver of about 16k. This all totals to about 47k for the year. They made no mention of funding after the first year, but the funding offer at hand is far greater than what I have been offered at UF or Indiana, the latter of which I'm still waiting to hear about.

As my research interests are primarily historical and theoretical French Linguistics, Indiana or UF would be my ideal picks. UC Davis is more general; even though they offer a "Linguistics track", there is only one professor who teaches French Linguistics. Everybody else specializes in Lit.

I know this question has been asked before, but now it's me who feels conflicted... Do I go with the significantly higher (as in over 2x what UF offers) funding, total moving distance of about 15 miles, but potentially less academic "fit" or maybe support? Or do I go with less money, a total moving distance of about 4,000 miles but really close to my family, and a much stronger academic fit?

They both have their pros and cons, of course. Right now, I'm so blinded by dollar signs that it's a miracle I can even see what I'm writing, lol.

I'm leaning toward Florida because my boyfriend brought up a good point: living an hour away from my family, I could babysit my 4-month-old niece on the weekends! :)

But... All that money...

Help!