French PhD 2013, anyone?

Soleil ت

Ditto on the Cornell rejection. No surprise there since everybody with funding packages seems to consider me unworthy, lol. I didn't think twice about the Cornell rejection. I'm pretty set on Indiana myself. I'm even planning to get a new bank because they don't have a Wells Fargo, where I bank, or a Citibank, where I work/bank. Darn. Anyway, I am sure you will get accepted from UF! They told me I would hear back this week, and I am taking no response as a bad sign. That's ok though. No rejection can hurt me quite like Austin :P I am ready for it all to be done!

Ditto on the Cornell rejection. No surprise there since everybody with funding packages seems to consider me unworthy, lol. I didn't think twice about the Cornell rejection. I'm pretty set on Indiana myself. I'm even planning to get a new bank because they don't have a Wells Fargo, where I bank, or a Citibank, where I work/bank. Darn. Anyway, I am sure you will get accepted from UF! They told me I would hear back this week, and I am taking no response as a bad sign. That's ok though. No rejection can hurt me quite like Austin :P I am ready for it all to be done!

I'm sorry to hear about some of the rejections but don't dwell too much on them, you've already got into other great programs! Also, I just switched banks today so coming to this thread was a funny coincidence! I'm still waiting to hear back from Berkeley but I got a response to my email inquiry that Berkeley should be delivering their decision "very soon!" That should be interesting... 

To those curious about NYU's MA programs, I've only done my undergrad there but the entire faculty (in New York and in Paris) is sublime. That said, even after the discounted tuition, I have no idea how their non-funded/non-PhD-track grad students can afford it or justify the loans. 

Regardless, best of luck, everyone! And to any of those visiting UCLA this week, I look forward to meeting you (my name isn't actually Kenneth-I just look a lot like Kenneth the intern from 30 Rock and I felt like preserving some anonymity)!

I'm sorry to hear about some of the rejections but don't dwell too much on them, you've already got into other great programs! Also, I just switched banks today so coming to this thread was a funny coincidence! I'm still waiting to hear back from Berkeley but I got a response to my email inquiry that Berkeley should be delivering their decision "very soon!" That should be interesting... 

To those curious about NYU's MA programs, I've only done my undergrad there but the entire faculty (in New York and in Paris) is sublime. That said, even after the discounted tuition, I have no idea how their non-funded/non-PhD-track grad students can afford it or justify the loans. 

Regardless, best of luck, everyone! And to any of those visiting UCLA this week, I look forward to meeting you (my name isn't actually Kenneth-I just look a lot like Kenneth the intern from 30 Rock and I felt like preserving some anonymity)!

Thanks!  Good to know about Berkeley, but I'm already considering that a rejection.  It's even in my signature already -- that makes it official!  :)  Have you heard of anybody interviewing for Berkeley?  I haven't heard a peep.  Maybe they were just taking their time rejecting me.

Thanks!  Good to know about Berkeley, but I'm already considering that a rejection.  It's even in my signature already -- that makes it official!  :)  Have you heard of anybody interviewing for Berkeley?  I haven't heard a peep.  Maybe they were just taking their time rejecting me.

This might sound a bit harsh but shouldn't we consider ourselves rejected from all the programmes which didn't reply to us? They already had their interviews, so it's surely over, isn't it?

Just out of curiosity, what sort of price would that be?

Re: Berkeley

My contact at Berkeley said he heard it was taking "much longer than usual," so that would seem to confirm what KennethParcell received from the grad secretary.  

This might sound a bit harsh but shouldn't we consider ourselves rejected from all the programmes which didn't reply to us? They already had their interviews, so it's surely over, isn't it?

I don't think so.  You're not rejected until you're rejected.  You can always be in some kind of "waitlist" while they are waiting for their first- or even second-tier candidates to sift through.  I would say if April 15 comes and goes without word, then that program is either impolite or administratively challenged.

That said, I have been contacted by everyone but Berkeley and have received funding from several programs.  Still waiting to hear officially from NYU and UVa (once their open houses are done), but as soon as those are in - regardless of Berkeley - I will make my decision.

NYU just told me that my application WILL BE reviewed! Isn't it too late already? They're probably just being polite, their interview day is in three days!

Nicko,

S'ils te disent que ton application sera considérée, c'est bon signe! Même si leur open house est proche, un(e) candidat(e) s'est peut-être désisté et cela expliquerait le timing. Ils ont déjà refusé des candidatures donc je doute que cette réponse ne soit que polie.

NYU est un excellent programme. Je te souhaite bonne chance!

Et bonne chance à vous tous également!

I don't think so.  You're not rejected until you're rejected.  You can always be in some kind of "waitlist" while they are waiting for their first- or even second-tier candidates to sift through.  I would say if April 15 comes and goes without word, then that program is either impolite or administratively challenged.

NYU said they'll give their answer in March, which makes me think that they're waiting for the interviews to be done before they tell me anything. So yes, the waitlist theory seems to be right :)

Nicko,

S'ils te disent que ton application sera considérée, c'est bon signe! Même si leur open house est proche, un(e) candidat(e) s'est peut-être désisté et cela expliquerait le timing. Ils ont déjà refusé des candidatures donc je doute que cette réponse ne soit que polie.

NYU est un excellent programme. Je te souhaite bonne chance!

Et bonne chance à vous tous également!

Merci, j'espère que tu as raison ! Je suis quand même pas très rassuré, je pense être sur le fil du rasoir avec ces universités... 

What's the process with admissions after the open house? And how do you think they interview candidates? 

Hello all,

Writing from New York, here for the NYU visiting days. Maybe I'll be meeting some of you this evening? I just got in!

In New York-related news, I just got wait listed by Columbia... So there's that! Don't quite know how to feel about it.

Hello everyone! I am so glad to see that'll there is a place where we can talk about the French PhD programs. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I am very disappointed of the admission decisions that I have received. I had low GRE scores, not much over 300 but didn't have time to take it again. I applied to Duke, Stanford, UNC, Tulane, and LSU. UNC told me that my research interests (music and culture) did not match the faculty interest. Duke would not give me a specific reason why was not accepted, except the usual trite response of 'there were many qualified applicants this year'. Stamford at least explained that my research area was a great fit for the department; however, my GRE scores were not strong enough. Still haven't heard from Tulane but saw where someone was already contacted by phone last week. The administrative assistant in the French department said she did not know about the decisions yet. Did finally get an acceptance from LSU but not sure if it's a good program or not. I really like everyone in the faculty and the fact that they have their own separate French department... Does anyone have any information on the program? Thank you so much for all your help!

Hello everyone! I am so glad to see that'll there is a place where we can talk about the French PhD programs. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I am very disappointed of the admission decisions that I have received. I had low GRE scores, not much over 300 but didn't have time to take it again. I applied to Duke, Stanford, UNC, Tulane, and LSU. UNC told me that my research interests (music and culture) did not match the faculty interest. Duke would not give me a specific reason why was not accepted, except the usual trite response of 'there were many qualified applicants this year'. Stamford at least explained that my research area was a great fit for the department; however, my GRE scores were not strong enough. Still haven't heard from Tulane but saw where someone was already contacted by phone last week. The administrative assistant in the French department said she did not know about the decisions yet. Did finally get an acceptance from LSU but not sure if it's a good program or not. I really like everyone in the faculty and the fact that they have their own separate French department... Does anyone have any information on the program? Thank you so much for all your help!

Congrats on your acceptance. I would say whether or not you accept LSU's offer should depend on your ultimate goal. If you're doing the Ph.D. for the sake of the degree itself, and you like the faculty there, the location, and the course offerings, you should go for it. If you want to stay in academia, though, and you're confident you can raise your GRE scores with additional preparation, I would encourage you to take a year and reapply in the next season. Unfortunately higher education is very, very brand-conscious, and LSU doesn't have the status of the other programs to which you applied. That doesn't mean it's not a good program, but perceived prestige really does matter on the job market. I would encourage you to Google "does Ph.D.-granting institution matter?" for some discussion of the issue.

Greetings from Dublin, leg one of the vacances d'hiver, where I just received one of the Berkeley rejections you'll find on the results page. A definite buzzkill after seeing The Script open their arena tour at The O2. Hope you're all doing well.

And allow me to follow that post up with a Northwestern rejection. At least the picture of what I'll be doing next year looks clearer with each decision that comes in. 

The application for that program comes out in April and the majority of applicants get accepted. I feel good about that program, but I'm not 100% sure about applying. A more practical option for me would be to get a high school job in the US, if my PhD options don't come through. 

Trying to stay positive. I've secured employment until Sept/Oct, but I will not do this process again next year if it doesn't work out for me with the remaining programs. That being said, I'm talking with NYU about the M.A. at the end of this week, so we'll see how that turns out. 

Trying to stay positive. I've secured employment until Sept/Oct, but I will not do this process again next year if it doesn't work out for me with the remaining programs. That being said, I'm talking with NYU about the M.A. at the end of this week, so we'll see how that turns out. 

Glad you're staying positive, and sorry to hear about the news. It's so eviscerating to get these impersonal (well, often impersonal messages...). And I can sympathise, since I just got rejections from both comp lit and French at Chicago. Pretty heartbroken, even if it was expected.

Gosh, so many rejections! Sorry to hear that guys.

I got a rejection from Northwestern as well. It's weird, I thought the interviews went really well...
Still waiting to hear from the other unis, but I suppose I have to wait for the interview days to be done. Does anybody know when the interview days are/were for Brown, Columbia, UPenn and Boston Uni? 

Would you be staying in France till Sept/Oct? And have you applied for teaching positions in the US yet? That was my back-up plan too if I hadn't gotten in any program. I still receive job alerts from NAIS Career Center, and there's been quite a few postings all over the States in the past weeks! You should check their website in case you haven't done so yet - http://careers.nais.org/search.cfm

But you still need to hear from all your remaining programs and decide what you want to do with the MA at NYU... fingers crossed for you, Patrick.

Gosh, so many rejections! Sorry to hear that guys.

I got a rejection from Northwestern as well. It's weird, I thought the interviews went really well...

Still waiting to hear from the other unis, but I suppose I have to wait for the interview days to be done. Does anybody know when the interview days are/were for Brown, Columbia, UPenn and Boston Uni? 

Sorry to hear about your rejection at Northwestern, Nicko :( As for the other programs you mention, I think Brown must still be considering you since they rejected me 2 weeks ago! I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia and UPenn, though, 

Glad you're staying positive, and sorry to hear about the news. It's so eviscerating to get these impersonal (well, often impersonal messages...). And I can sympathise, since I just got rejections from both comp lit and French at Chicago. Pretty heartbroken, even if it was expected.

I also got rejected at Chicago, wmb, so we're on the same boat here... :(

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Hoping for good news in the coming weeks. Like many of you, I'm also waiting on Columbia. 

And thanks, cicada! I haven't started to apply for teaching jobs, but I will definitely explore that site, along with k12jobspot and others. I have a job at my local golf course in Michigan that I will come back to by early May. It's very close to my house, so I'll be able to stay at home for a few months and save money before going to NYC, Minn, PSU, or starting a teaching job. 

Finally, some good news! I received a call yesterday and was accepted into the MA program at NYU's Institute of French Studies. The funding is being worked on, so I will wait for the other offers and consider my options when they come. It's just nice to have an acceptance! 

Finally, some good news! I received a call yesterday and was accepted into the MA program at NYU's Institute of French Studies. The funding is being worked on, so I will wait for the other offers and consider my options when they come. It's just nice to have an acceptance! 

that's great news, Patrick  :D I'm super happy for you. It seems like a really good program, and maybe you could follow up with a PhD! I know that it's usually harder to get full support for an MA and I remember you wrote about maybe taking loans for it, but is there a chance you could get full funding? Keep us in the loop :)