Does it matter what I take in the spring?

luke8ball

I'll be submitting my applications to math M.S. programs in the coming weeks. Thus, does it matter what I take in the spring? I've already fulfilled all my major and gen ed. requirements! Would taking just 12 hours hurt?

Thanks for any input!

For grad school applications -- probably not. You will get a conditional offer usually dependent on the fact that you will complete your degree, so as long as you meet your undergrad requirements, it's all good.

However, you may still need your undergrad marks in future applications. For example, if you apply to fellowships or scholarships next year, they will want to see all of your undergrad marks. So, if these things have some requirement on the number of hours per term, then it might matter (although if 12 hours is enough for full time status, then it probably should be okay). In any case, it will probably be more important that you do well in these last few courses than the number of courses you take.

Not particularly. You are effectively being evaluated on your performance to date. If the classes you take end up drastically affecting your academic performanc, then there could be issues. However if you've satisfied all requirements that the grad. comm. is looking for you should be fine.

Provided that you get into programs this year, then no it will not matter. However, if you don't get in and have to reapply or you choose to apply to another program in the future,  it does matter. If you don't do well or don't take equally rigorous courses in Spring, it may look like you blew off your last semester which is not good.

It doesn't matter as much in terms of how your application is evaluated.

It matters a lot in terms of how it prepares you for graduate school. I plan to spend my spring semester taking courses, obtaining technical and research skills, and conducting projects that will prepare me for graduate school. I have this chunk of time to better prepare myself? Why not take advantage of it?