Who Wants To Bet On Acceptances/Rejections?

Arezoo, I think you're on the right path so far. I also got an MA before heading to PhD because, first, my undergrad GPA left a lot to be desired, and, second, because I come from a not-highly-ranked school. I thought the MA would offer me a lot of chances to make my apps better, and I feel, personally, like it was the right choice. Of course, a month from now I might be singing a different tune, but as of right now I think my app is stronger because I have two years under my belt in an MA program which let me expand my CV, gave me teaching experience, gave a writing sample from my MA thesis, etc. I'm not totally sure if I'm answering your question, and I would have to know more about your situation to really assess the situation but from what you've written I can at least say I don't think you're making the wrong choices. 

Everyone else, I think it's been said before and it will be said again, there's no one factor that gets us in the door of any institution  Unfortunately, I looked at the GRE list, and I threw up in my mouth a little. Anyone been to UVA's page? They actually say that their admits usually score in the 99% on both the general and the subject. WFT?????

This thread is basically us just blowing time waiting for schools to either graciously accept us or for to shit on our dreams. So, I agree that this conversation is fairly useless, but as far as convos on this site go recently, this one is pretty good and interesting. I've known two people who had baller numbers -- both had 4.0 undergrad and both had top-notch GRE scores. Both of them didn't get into any PhD programs, and that's how they ended up in my MA program (because it doesn't have a deadline for admission and they were in the area so they took time off before applying again). One of them actually came from a highly ranked private school. So, numbers and your ug institute don't always cut it. We each present a package deal -- typically that package deal will be consistent, AKA an accepted student will probably have great GRE scores. BUT, sometimes they are inconsistent, AKA an accepted student will have lower numbers because the rest of their package was good enough. Sometimes I wonder if it's not just a correlative trend. Like, if you have a banging writing sample, SOP, CV, and letters of rec, you probably have banging numbers too. I'm not sure numbers get people in, ever. I think that your numbers just back up what you already have to show. HOWEVER, I do earnestly believe (I could be totally ignorant in which case I'll pack up my books and head out of here with my head held low) that you can present a package that is awesome, but has mediocre numbers. I think numbers help, but I don't think they are the end-all end-all. Lots of schools are moving away from GRE scores because they do present a class and race bias (a rant for another time), and they don't really demonstrate your ability to succeed as a scholar. They show you're smart, sure, but can you produce interesting, intriguing, ground breaking work because you can answer a reading comp question? Just something to think about. 

And on another note, from what I've heard, AW scores don't matter too much. They probably matter for funding at state schools, but I don't think they matter too much. A 3.5 might be a tad low for an English major, but I wouldn't fret about it. My verbal scores are pretty bad, and I'm just hoping no one notices. Also, the AW portion is more for hard science students so they can prove they're able to write effectively to convey an idea -- it isn't designed for English majors. I have really high AW scores but that's because I teach freshmen comp, and I just wrote an essay I'd give an A to in ENGL 101, and, well, there you go. That's what they're looking for: Freshmen comp level writing. Your ability to write a five paragraph essay because the hard sciences need that ability. We do not, so our scores don't matter as much. 

This thread is basically us just blowing time waiting for schools to either graciously accept us or for to shit on our dreams.

lol, yup.

Lately I've been having this double-edged panic attack: Oh god, I'll feel so ashamed if I don't get in... but holy crap, what if I DO?? Is it possible to have imposter syndrome before being accepted? Either way it's anxiety soup and I'm a-swimmin' in it.

And Re: AW scores--I got a 5.5 my first round, but tanked the verbal. Then when I re-took and destroyed the verbal, my AW dropped to 5. Still not bad, but makes me grumpy. The AW essays can suck a big hairy one. I don't think they mean much.

For the morbid, here's an outdated list of average GRE scores (verbal only, old format) of admitted students. It helps to remember averages mean a number of students have lower (and of course, higher) scores, so there's really no purpose to this list besides make you better worse/better/whatever.

Wow, I've never seen this list before. The averages seem surprisingly low to me - do you think it is accurate?

lol, yup.

Lately I've been having this double-edged panic attack: Oh god, I'll feel so ashamed if I don't get in... but holy crap, what if I DO?? Is it possible to have imposter syndrome before being accepted? Either way it's anxiety soup and I'm a-swimmin' in it.

And Re: AW scores--I got a 5.5 my first round, but tanked the verbal. Then when I re-took and destroyed the verbal, my AW dropped to 5. Still not bad, but makes me grumpy. The AW essays can suck a big hairy one. I don't think they mean much.

Yes totally! I was even saying to someone the other day, "Well, what happens if I ACTUALLY get in?" And they were like, "Well, that would be good." And I was like, "Would it? Would it be good?" I guess I'll just get day drunk, again.

Wow, I've never seen this list before. The averages seem surprisingly low to me - do you think it is accurate?

I think it might be a little bit out of date... going on the average for my program ( know the average in my cohort is much higher than that reported here ).

Yes totally! I was even saying to someone the other day, "Well, what happens if I ACTUALLY get in?" And they were like, "Well, that would be good." And I was like, "Would it? Would it be good?" I guess I'll just get day drunk, again.

I've been wondering, too: sure, the programs all list the temporal progression of studies (e.g. courses, exams, TA positions), but what will it really be like? And more importantly, can we handle it?!

This thread is basically us just blowing time waiting for schools to either graciously accept us or for to shit on our dreams.

Exactly, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think it might be a little bit out of date... going on the average for my program ( know the average in my cohort is much higher than that reported here ).

Again, OH GOD

Lately I've been having this double-edged panic attack: Oh god, I'll feel so ashamed if I don't get in... but holy crap, what if I DO??

This is a slight change in topic, but this comment made me wonder what everyone's emotional feelings about this process are. I've noticed that a lot of people across this website seem absolutely terrified of failing this app season because of shame, not wanting to disappoint current advisors/parents, and loss of self-worth. I find that attitude to be extremely dangerous and illogical; this is such a crapshoot and to put so much of yourself into the outcome just doesn't seem healthy to me. For one, I think the average advisor is aware that getting in is difficult and I have a hard time believing  they'd react with the extreme disappointment that so many people are imagining. When I think of all the people I've seen on here in the last 16 months who are on their second or third try, I just start to think that the terrified first timers need a serious reality check and maybe some more advising.

Bfat, I'm not attributing these ideas to you, by the way. Your comment just made me think of it.

This is a slight change in topic, but this comment made me wonder what everyone's emotional feelings about this process are. I've noticed that a lot of people across this website seem absolutely terrified of failing this app season because of shame, not wanting to disappoint current advisors/parents, and loss of self-worth. I find that attitude to be extremely dangerous and illogical; this is such a crapshoot and to put so much of yourself into the outcome just doesn't seem healthy to me. For one, I think the average advisor is aware that getting in is difficult and I have a hard time believing  they'd react with the extreme disappointment that so many people are imagining. When I think of all the people I've seen on here in the last 16 months who are on their second or third try, I just start to think that the terrified first timers need a serious reality check and maybe some more advising.

As a second-timer, I can say that this is true, but it doesn't make the feelings less valid.  To even consider applying for a Ph.D. in any discipline, you have to be very dedicated and determined; these are the kind of students who have done very well in at least one level of their college careers.  Many have probably been encouraged and supported by their professors or their peers, who recognize potential and want to see that potential realized.  Now with a vacuum of response and literally no way to predict how and where responses will come (except for DontHate's psychic abilities, natch), it's absolutely natural for these very talented, determined, and dedicated people to be overwhelmed with feelings of uncertainty and anxiety.

But I can tell you from experience that all those people who are rooting for you, the ones who you don't want to let down, will be the first ones to encourage you to try again.  They'll be the ones helping ensure you have a successful year to bolster your CV and fine-tune your writing sample and SOP.  They'll be the ones giving you pep talks when you're dreading facing another year of applications.  And they'll be the ones who make you believe in yourselves yet again.  Yes, getting in nowhere absolutely sucks, and I'm not going to lie to you that it doesn't.  But it's not the end of the world and it's hardly uncommon in such a hyper-competitive environment.  You have done everything you can, this year.  Don't feel like you've let everybody down if you have to give it another try.

As a second-timer, I can say that this is true, but it doesn't make the feelings less valid.  To even consider applying for a Ph.D. in any discipline, you have to be very dedicated and determined; these are the kind of students who have done very well in at least one level of their college careers.  Many have probably been encouraged and supported by their professors or their peers, who recognize potential and want to see that potential realized.  Now with a vacuum of response and literally no way to predict how and where responses will come (except for DontHate's psychic abilities, natch), it's absolutely natural for these very talented, determined, and dedicated people to be overwhelmed with feelings of uncertainty and anxiety.

But I can tell you from experience that all those people who are rooting for you, the ones who you don't want to let down, will be the first ones to encourage you to try again.  They'll be the ones helping ensure you have a successful year to bolster your CV and fine-tune your writing sample and SOP.  They'll be the ones giving you pep talks when you're dreading facing another year of applications.  And they'll be the ones who make you believe in yourselves yet again.  Yes, getting in nowhere absolutely sucks, and I'm not going to lie to you that it doesn't.  But it's not the end of the world and it's hardly uncommon in such a hyper-competitive environment.  You have done everything you can, this year.  Don't feel like you've let everybody down if you have to give it another try.

As someone also on my second round of applications, I have to agree completely with this. Those in your support system now will likely be the ones who will encourage you and support your future decisions, if the application season doesn't go the way you'd like. However, as Datatape states, the anxieties that some may have now are still legitimate. We're opening ourselves up for judgement from people whose opinions (though anonymous) we are forced to respect. The fear of judgement and the fear of rejection can be crippling. Personally, I'm more anxiety-riddled this year than I was last year. It may be because I'm not busy with finishing my MA, preparing to teach two classes, and associated distractions. My friends who applied with me last year are all in PhD programs. Though I know they'll be supportive of what happens this year, I still fear their potential perceptions of me if I fall flat on my face and don't get in anywhere.

To pose another question, are the second-timers and third-timers here more or less anxious than you were last year at this time? While I'm slightly more confident about what the outcome might be this application season, the waiting is almost twice as excruciating for me now.

To pose another question, are the second-timers and third-timers here more or less anxious than you were last year at this time? While I'm slightly more confident about what the outcome might be this application season, the waiting is almost twice as excruciating for me now.

I actually am a second-timer myself, and I would say my anxiety has increased in relation to my confidence from last year. Last year, I had no idea what I was doing; I was in my senior year of undergrad, I'd decided that I wanted to be an English professor, but I hadn't yet read all of the scary literature about the state of humanities and the difficulty of getting into graduate school. I didn't really get anxious until early march when I realized that I had 3 unlikely waitlists, a whole lot of consolation MA offers, and no funding. So this year, I know my chances and I'm already worried and mildly panicky. However, I also know that I've managed to supplement my unknown BA with graduate level work with a fellowship at a great university and considering that my ignorant app last year got three waitlists, I'm hoping my much more mature and considered app will get me at least one acceptance this year.

Out of curiousity, are you planning to continue on to a PhD after your MA? and if so, do any of the schools you're applying to have info about whether their students are successful at getting into PhDs? Because while I'm more reticent to pronounce your future dismal than DontHate is, s/he right in saying that pedigree matters. I'm sure you've thought about these things, I'm just wondering.

I do, and I'm quite aware of the challenges I'll have (especially due to my interests, though I can't really help that part). Humboldt is my backup at this point, and is the most likely to hinder me in gaining acceptances to PhD programs. The other two seem solid and, like asleepawake said, will provide me with a great education (and hopefully funding).

Also, sorry it took me so long to reply. Being that last-minute applicant is severely hindering my stress-about-applications-on-forum time  :rolleyes:

Edited by beet-nik

I do, and I'm quite aware of the challenges I'll have (especially due to my interests, though I can't really help that part). Humboldt is my backup at this point, and is the most likely to hinder me in gaining acceptances to PhD programs. The other two seem solid and, like asleepawake said, will provide me with a great education (and hopefully funding).

Also, sorry it took me so long to reply. Being that last-minute applicant is severely hindering my stress-about-applications-on-forum time  :rolleyes:

Have you considered LSU's MA in English? They have some _awesome_ faculty (both inside and outside of the department). Some of their theory and creative writing faculty are especially awesome. They also tend to have great funding.

From LSU's website:

"At this time, we are unable to provide funding for students admitted to the MA program only. However, highly qualified students applying for the MA program may receive an offer for a place in the PhD program with funding. (Our PhD program permits students to enter with just a BA.) Students recruited into the PhD program with just a BA are free to leave with the MA, if they choose."

Edit: It seems that other areas of their website indicate they do in fact fund MA's. I guess I don't know anything anymore.

Edited by Deadinthewater

Ah, I thought they had funding. They do have some great funding for the MFA program, and they used to have great funding for the MA program as well. If you're doing "postmodernism," you might want to check out the philosophy program which bent fairly heavily toward the continental side of things (I still think the philosophy program has funding for an MA). I think the funding is in the 16k range (although I could be wrong). If they still have it for the English MA, it should be in that range too (I'd suspect).

"most professional ballet companies don't accept overweight dancers" (a fact that is perhaps unfair but nonetheless true) and readers interpreted that to mean "fat people shouldn't dance."

Ya dig?

In my experience there are very few fat people who dance well.  It is however a sight to behold when one does.  You can almost see the precision and regularity of their bones moving underneath all that blubber.  The way the fat itself moves is like an elegant metaphor for the bones themselves.  Truly amazing.

Edited by econosocio

"like"

What She Said

by Billy Collins

When he told me he expected me to pay for dinner,

I was like give me a break.

I was not the exact equivalent of give me a break.

I was just similar to give me a break.

As I said, I was like give me a break.

I would love to tell you

how I was able to resemble give me a break

without actually being identical to give me a break,

but all I can say is that I sensed

a similarity between me and give me a break.

And that was close enough

at that point in the evening

even if it meant I would fall short

of standing up from the table and screaming

give me a break,

for God's sake will you please give me a break?!

No, for that moment

with the rain streaking the restaurant windows

and the waiter approaching,

I felt the most I could be was like

to a certain degree

give me a break.

Have you considered LSU's MA in English? They have some _awesome_ faculty (both inside and outside of the department). Some of their theory and creative writing faculty are especially awesome. They also tend to have great funding.

I wish I was competitive enough to be considered for their funded PhD (as, previously mentioned, the MA seems to be their only unfunded program), but the minimum GPA is "generally a 3.2" and I have a 3.24... :unsure:  Probably not worth the application fee if I don't stand much of a chance for funding. (Maybe in 2nd round applications, if I'm forced to wait a year!)

I wish I was competitive enough to be considered for their funded PhD (as, previously mentioned, the MA seems to be their only unfunded program), but the minimum GPA is "generally a 3.2" and I have a 3.24... :unsure:  Probably not worth the application fee if I don't stand much of a chance for funding. (Maybe in 2nd round applications, if I'm forced to wait a year!)

Can you apply for their PhD, and ask to be considered for the MA if not accepted to the PhD? It'd sort of be like killing to apps with one fee!