Who Wants To Bet On Acceptances/Rejections?

It would only be with virtual "money." I have some strong intuitions on the outcomes for some of the regular posters on here. Of course, you can also bet on yourself. It should go like this: put down your GPA, GRE, Undergrad institution, and where you're applying, and we all get to make bets which places you'll get into, which places you won't.

It's not as if everyone isn't constantly obsessing over this anyway. I figure this might be a good way to let off some steam.

you get an upvote just for "PhD in Pretentious Bullshit"

love.

Thank you, I'll take 'em where I can get 'em.

I probably should have volunteered to go first: GPA 3.6; GREs 169V, 157M, 5AW; Undergrad @ Ivy number 4 (roughly).

Applied to: 4 Ivies, 2 top-ranked state schools, 2 non-Ivy top 10's

My own bet on myself: I'll get into 2 programs: The one where I'm doing my Master's, and one other. I don't know which. Maybe one of the state schools.

I actually kinda like this idea, but I don't want to post personal information about myself on a public forum. I can say this:

GPA: Not good, GRE: Not good, Institution: Not well known, doesn't even have PhD's program in any disciplines. Applying to programs that I'll never get into.

I actually kinda like this idea, but I don't want to post personal information about myself on a public forum. I can say this:

GPA: Not good, GRE: Not good, Institution: Not well known, doesn't even have PhD's program in any disciplines. Applying to programs that I'll never get into.

Ok rems, based entirely on this meager and vague information, I'm going to bet that you won't get into any programs. Your turn. You do me.

There are definitely a few other people from this forum that I would be very surprised to see get into any programs. In fact, I would bet good paper money on it. Who wants to go in $500 via paypal? That's enough for maybe 4 applications next year.

Edited by DontHate

Hmm. This isn't going to take my stress level down at all, but I'll buy in. GPA: 3.95 GRE: 169 V, 151 Q, 6.0 AW Undergrad Institution: well known public university Programs applied to: 1 Ivy, 1 elite public, my undergrad institution, Pitt, & Chicago My bet? I get into my undergrad institution. Miiiiiight get into the elite public school, if I'm really lucky.

Honestly, I think you have a pretty good shot of getting in somewhere. You're already in good programs, and you have good numbers. I'd have to see your SOP and WS to really make that assumption, but based on what I've seen, I'd bet you'd get in somewhere.

Honestly, I think you have a pretty good shot of getting in somewhere. You're already in good programs, and you have good numbers. I'd have to see your SOP and WS to really make that assumption, but based on what I've seen, I'd bet you'd get in somewhere.

Thanks. I hope you get in somewhere too. I'm sure your stats aren't as bad as you describe them to be. Plus, there are many better jobs out there even if you don't get in.

if i were a betting man, i'd make the same bet as rems. hard to say without having seen a WS, but based on previous posts, i imagine that yours is quite good (although i seem to remember you saying you weren't all that pleased with it in another post somewhere, although i could be wrong/if i'm not wrong, then i suspect you may have been selling your WS short). at any rate, i'd bet you get some offers.

i'd also be willing to bet that rems gets some offers, based on my uncanny ability to extrapolate WS quality from forum posts.

Here are some of my stats:

GRE: I love to read books!

GPA: I will add a lot to the department!

SOP/WS: I would be a great professor because (I drink).

Undergrad: I am undersocialized!

Applying to: I wake up in strange places without knowing how I got there!

Taking all bets very seriously.

Thanks. I hope you get in somewhere too. I'm sure your stats aren't as bad as you describe them to be. Plus, there are many better jobs out there even if you don't get in.

Why did this get downvoted? I thought you were actually being nice. :blink:

Here are some of my stats:

GRE: I love to read books!

GPA: I will add a lot to the department!

SOP/WS: I would be a great professor because (I drink).

Undergrad: I am undersocialized!

Applying to: I wake up in strange places without knowing how I got there!

Taking all bets very seriously.

Wow, you too? We're like academic twinsies! :D

As much as I think this thread is a bad idea... I think rems and bfat will get some acceptances; they seem like they have their shit together.  I'm not as familiar with the regular posters this application season, despite my being a part of this application season, so I can't really say anything for anyone else.

To the OP: I can't speak to your admissions chances, but I feel bad for those who will encounter you in real life.  ;)

As much as I think this thread is a bad idea... I think rems and bfat will get some acceptances; they seem like they have their shit together.  I'm not as familiar with the regular posters this application season, despite my being a part of this application season, so I can't really say anything for anyone else.

To the OP: I can't speak to your admissions chances, but I feel bad for those who will encounter you in real life.  ;)

I hope never to meet you either. You probably wouldn't laugh at any of my jokes. And I haven't heard you make any yourself, so our meeting would just be really boring, and then I'd probably make an excuse and leave early.

I can bet that if I get into any of the same schools as certain posters (and they accept), I won't go even if they are the only programs that accept me.

I am sooo so so so so very glad that I'm not applying to English programs. You have absolutely NO IDEA how glad I am. This forum has taught me a valuable lesson re: English programs.

I hope never to meet you either. You probably wouldn't laugh at any of my jokes. And I haven't heard you make any yourself, so our meeting would just be really boring, and then I'd probably make an excuse and leave early.

The best part is that neither of us would likely know who the other was if we met.  I've given away only very vague personal information on this website, so I don't think I can be identified (easily).  I often think about this: will I at some point meet TripWillis, bfat, rems, etc. in real life and not know it?  :blink:

The best part is that neither of us would likely know who the other was if we met.  I've given away only very vague personal information on this website, so I don't think I can be identified (easily).  I often think about this: will I at some point meet TripWillis, bfat, rems, etc. in real life and not know it?  :blink:

I have one very specific reason to highly doubt the likelihood of this occurance.