Who Wants To Bet On Acceptances/Rejections?

When I interviewed at Emory last year, they flew in an interviewee from France (or at least supported her in the cost), so I would assume international applications are invited.

Excuse me. It just sounded like you were writing off the effectiveness of therapy because therapists get paid. I wonder if that's true of all paid occupations.

if rem was not ready to come to the defense of her therapist, than her therapist would not be her therapist.

oh, how many thousands of other words I could write here than you would not read!

here is what I do know: rem's therapist said what she said he said, unless rem is a sociopath.  here's what else I know: what rem's therapist said is really dumb.

Edited by thestage

if rem was not ready to come to the defense of her therapist, than her therapist would not be her therapist.

oh, how many thousands of other words I could write here than you would not read!

here is what I do know: rem's therapist said what she said he said, unless rem is a sociopath.  here's what else I know: what rem's therapist said is really dumb.

Oh, if only I could unread most things you've written. :)

Edit: Ah, damn, IG-88 beat me to it. Jinx!

Edited by TripWillis

Aww, I liked this post better when it ended with "patently fucking ridiculous" or something like that.  :P

Yah, um, I definitely didn't mean to insight any of this when I made a comment about MY therapist.  This has been blown WAY out of proportion. I'm sorry that what MY therapist said upset you -- I certainly didn't mean to cause this level of unrest in your life. 

Yah, um, I definitely didn't mean to insight any of this when I made a comment about MY therapist.  This has been blown WAY out of proportion. I'm sorry that what MY therapist said upset you -- I certainly didn't mean to cause this level of unrest in your life. 

The one nice thing about the incredibly low odds of getting into a Ph.D. program is that you will not likely have to attend with either of those people. I'm not sure how strong the Michael Brutsch contingent is in graduate study, but I would guess grad cafe is an unrepresentative sample, since I like everyone I go to school with.

Also, *incite :)

Woopsies!  :P

The one nice thing about the incredibly low odds of getting into a Ph.D. program is that you will not likely have to attend with either of those people. I'm not sure how strong the Michael Brutsch contingent is in graduate study, but I would guess grad cafe is an unrepresentative sample, since I like everyone I go to school with.

Totally. Everyone I went to grad school with was super nice (except for a few people who were not the "nicest" but they certainly weren't jerks), and it was a very supportive environment. 

(none of what I say is directed at TripWillis, btw. I like TripWillis  :) )

I'm coming for you, CUNY Grad

sometimes in life you're going to see people you don't like.  even in academia (lol joke). it's not a big deal, I promise.  I see them every time I roll out of bed, including when I look in the mirror.

I think this is where I get to do that thing where I say there only looks to be one (well, two) mad person in here and it ain't me.

Edited by thestage

I also gotta say that I think it's ridiculous how you guys pile onto a person you don't agree with, as if it's totally abnormal for people to disagree. Academia is all about disagreement and debate! It's better to defend your opinion, instead of attacking another person for having a different one. 

And I have to say that if one's goal is to diminish anxiety, it does seem rather bad advice to recommend a repetitive, compulsive anxious behavior. Meditation and distraction seem more productive to that end.

I'd like to add that I find it distracting (and thus relaxing) to be on gradcafe. This might partly be because my field is so different from English. Listening to you guys kvetch somehow makes me feel better. Also I rarely talk about admissions on here, it seems. Mostly about random other stuff.

Edited by DontHate

Wait, donthate. Don't call something an attack. Someone might accuse you of being unable to deal with disagreement because of your vagina or something.

You misread me: I'm all for disagreement. Some people on here don't seem able to tolerate a debate.