Women's Studies (WGS)- 2013 Applications, Offers, Discussion

wmnshlthsoc

Hey there! Just seeing who else is applying to this area. I know we're a small group but figured we could keep each other posted.

I've submitted applications to the following PhD programs:

Emory WGSS

Rutgers WGS

Univ of Maryland WS

Also, 4 Sociology programs.

What about you?

Within the next couple months, notices will come in... Fingers crossed.

Edited by wmnshlthsoc

I applied to the combo Women Studies/History PhD at UMichigan. (Also three other programs in History and 1 in East Asian Studies.)  We'll see how it goes. :)

I am also applying to WGSS programs. I've applied to UCSB, UCSC, Rutgers, Ohio State, KU, and UT Austin. Still working on ASU, Oregon State, and SDSU. My goal is a Ph.D. program but I've applied to a few MA programs as well including Oregon State which is my "safety school." I'm actually going to try to put it out of my mind as much as possible but I thought I'd reach out to people in the same boat.

By the way, how do you add the signature with the schools and results?

Laura

I am also applying to WGSS programs. I've applied to UCSB, UCSC, Rutgers, Ohio State, KU, and UT Austin. Still working on ASU, Oregon State, and SDSU. My goal is a Ph.D. program but I've applied to a few MA programs as well including Oregon State which is my "safety school." I'm actually going to try to put it out of my mind as much as possible but I thought I'd reach out to people in the same boat.

By the way, how do you add the signature with the schools and results?

Laura

Signature:

At the top where your name appears. Drop down menu, My Settings. Then on the left you can edit Signature (also email, password, notifications etc.)

I only applied to one WGS program--McGill's combined PhD in Music and Gender/Women's Studies--but I applied to other programs where I could do a minor, concentration, or certificate in gender studies or LGBT studies.

Any thoughts (anyone) on the feasibility of programs in which a minor or certificate in gender studies is a goal, and the main program is American Studies, English, or African American Studies? I would really prefer a joint program, and I hear more opportunities are opening up for PhDs in Gender Studies.. but I have to think about my chances for next year if I don't get in.. does a certificate or minor carry much weight?

Edited by OctaviaButlerfan

Any thoughts (anyone) on the feasibility of programs in which a minor or certificate in gender studies is a goal, and the main program is American Studies, English, or African American Studies? I would really prefer a joint program, and I hear more opportunities are opening up for PhDs in Gender Studies.. but I have to think about my chances for next year if I don't get in.. does a certificate or minor carry much weight?

I'm not sure what you're asking, could you clarify? Is your main goal a gender studies degree but you are wondering about going for a different program with certification if you don't get in?  I guess that usefulness of that would have a lot to do with your long-term career goals.

I can't speak to what a certificate or minor does or doesn't do. I'm mostly looking at this option because (1) my career goals are in musicology, but I plan on doing research on music and sexuality and (2) a number of musicology PhD programs require a minor or certificate and I have a background in WGSS. With these things in mind, it seems like doing a degree in musicology with LGBT Studies as a secondary field would be more useful than going for a PhD in Gender Studies and trying to do research in music without a music degree.

If anyone out there has done or is in a minor/certificate/concentration program and can speak to their own experiences, that would be great. :)

Signature:

At the top where your name appears. Drop down menu, My Settings. Then on the left you can edit Signature (also email, password, notifications etc.)

Thanks!

Anyone interested in playing a get-to-know-you game? How about 2 truths and a lie? We'll each say three things about ourselves and then everyone else has to guess which one is the lie.  I'll start.

I love to bake

I used to breed pythons

I used to sing in a women's chorus

Anyone interested in playing a get-to-know-you game? How about 2 truths and a lie? We'll each say three things about ourselves and then everyone else has to guess which one is the lie.  I'll start.

I love to bake

I used to breed pythons

I used to sing in a women's chorus

Great idea! I think the python breeding is interesting so it's probably not your lie. Maybe the women's chorus is a lie (I used to sing in a few in high school and college). So which is your lie?

My turn!

My favorite food is cheese

I'm married to personal trainer

I have an incurable disease

Hello!

I am applying for the MA in Women's Studies at the University of York, in England. My undergrad was History at Cambridge and I'm applying for a part-time MA starting September 2014. I'm then considering possibly looking into a PhD in the States, but I'd be applying in 2015 as an international student, so I'm not thinking about it too much at the moment as it is a long way off and a very detailed process!

Has anyone else applied to any UK universities for entry this year or next?

Amelia x

Hello! As someone who is in a WMST/FEMST/GNDST Ph.D program and hearing everything about the trajectory of the field, I would say that certificates and minors are carrying less weight the more that holding an actual interdisiciplinary Ph.D in WMST/FEMST/GNDST is becoming a thing. I'd say that if you did something else interdisciplinary like American Studies or African American Studies that it would help you get a gender studies-type job a lot better than would something more traditional like English. Conversely, if you want to be hired as an English professor, don't get a Ph.D in gender studies :) Hope this helps!

First informal rejection today. UMD director sent a personal email letting me know that I hadn't clearly articulated the importance of my work. That was my second time applying to that PhD program. Well, 6 more to hear from.

First informal rejection today. UMD director sent a personal email letting me know that I hadn't clearly articulated the importance of my work. That was my second time applying to that PhD program. Well, 6 more to hear from.

I'm sorry to hear that. :-(  

You know, now that you bring it up, I didn't focus on the importance of my work in my applications. Hmmmmmm

Great idea! I think the python breeding is interesting so it's probably not your lie. Maybe the women's chorus is a lie (I used to sing in a few in high school and college). So which is your lie?

My turn!

My favorite food is cheese

I'm married to personal trainer

I have an incurable disease

Nope, I was in a women's chorus :-) guess again.

I totally think you are lying about loving cheese...

It's so soon!!!!! I'm soooo sorry to hear that. I didn't think that they even sent out emails explaining why you didn't get in. That's right, you still have six more schools that might see the potential in you and your research. Sending you tons of positive energy. :)

Thanks so much PhDreams! I think she only sent me a personalized email because this was my 2nd time applying to this program and she wanted to give me some assurance so I wouldn't stress unnecessarily. It's disappointing but I know I'll end up where I need to go. Positive thoughts to us all! :D

Phone call inviting me to recruitment weekend (interviews)--- Emory Women Gender Sexualities Studies PhD program. Ah!!!!!!! Still praying this will lead to a yes!

Congratssssssss!!!!!!!!!! This is excellent news!!!!! WOW!!!! You're going to be great! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.