Women's Studies (WGS)- 2013 Applications, Offers, Discussion

wmnshlthsoc

Just got my itinerary too. Meeting with six(!) professors and having lunch with the grad students in the department.  It's going to be intense!  Good luck to you wmnshlthsoc!

Good luck to you tooooo!!!! Thanks

Hi, everyone! Do we happen to know when Rutgers applications were due last year? I am trying to get a sense of how long I should anticipate a response.

Applications Deadline- Dec 15th ish? or maybe it was the Jan 1

Acceptance Notification was 2/11 last year.

So we should hear back next week hopefully. 

I am curious where we can find data on graduate placements (specifically for Emory and Rutgers).  Does anyone happen to know?  And what are your thoughts on how the two schools compare?

Like incoming candiates or post-doc placement?

I've seen it for other programs (maybe phds.org or something like that) but there's no option to view WGS/S programs.

In terms of which is "better", again I'm no help but applied to both for different reasons. I think it's based on fit and if you "gel" with the department.

I am curious where we can find data on graduate placements (specifically for Emory and Rutgers).  Does anyone happen to know?  And what are your thoughts on how the two schools compare?

You could always ask your POI directly.  Even if it's not published anywhere, professors in the department should know placement information for the last few years.

Yeah.. I sort of feel the same way.

I like my job, much of the time.. but I am tutoring for a grant funded program and get less than part-part-time (translation: fewer than 10 hours a week).

I also really enjoy literary analysis, and innovative lesson planning, and I feel like right now there is no room for either in secondary education.

Hey, another WGS PhD hopeful here. I applied to five programs and I'm slowly losing my mind waiting for decisions. I applied to PhD programs at Rutgers and UMD, and MA programs at UW Madison, DePaul, and UNCG. I feel like I have a really good application, apart from my bad gpa for my first two years at undergrad. Well, it's not really bad....just average. But this was due to a serious medical condition that I struggled with during those two years. I'm terrified that it will keep me out of grad school even though everything else is exceptional.

Hey, another WGS PhD hopeful here. I applied to five programs and I'm slowly losing my mind waiting for decisions. I applied to PhD programs at Rutgers and UMD, and MA programs at UW Madison, DePaul, and UNCG. I feel like I have a really good application, apart from my bad gpa for my first two years at undergrad. Well, it's not really bad....just average. But this was due to a serious medical condition that I struggled with during those two years. I'm terrified that it will keep me out of grad school even though everything else is exceptional.

Did you explain that in your personal statement? For my masters personal statement I explained some grad slips were due to a chronic illness I battled all through college. I don't know if it mattered to them but I did end up getting into programs.

PS. WELCOME to our world... anxiety, insanity and constantly waiting.

Did you explain that in your personal statement? For my masters personal statement I explained some grad slips were due to a chronic illness I battled all through college. I don't know if it mattered to them but I did end up getting into programs.

PS. WELCOME to our world... anxiety, insanity and constantly waiting.

Yes, I did briefly address this in my statement of purpose. I'm just not sure how much it's going to count against me. It would be just awful if something like this ruined my chances. Haha thank you! I thought that after I finished my applications I would feel a bit of relief but it's all stress eating, sleepless nights, and valium refills.

Yes, I did briefly address this in my statement of purpose. I'm just not sure how much it's going to count against me. It would be just awful if something like this ruined my chances. Haha thank you! I thought that after I finished my applications I would feel a bit of relief but it's all stress eating, sleepless nights, and valium refills.

Yea that's the sad part. It's a different kind of anxiety... And this one lasts for months!!!! It's annoying this week was a quiet week for WS/WGS/WGSS programs .. UGH!!!!!

I got my letter of acceptance to UNC Greensboro tonight! I can breathe a slight sigh of relief. Even if the other four are rejections, I'll still be able to prove myself more in a MA program and try again in two years.