Writing Sample font size Question

Should my writing sample be typical MLA format? I need to cut my paper down to 10 pages. If I adjust the font to 11.5 it is ten pages. However, I'm not sure I can do that. Should I assume that the school wants my writing sample to follow MLA formatting  The school itself doesn't say anything about paper format. 

Should my writing sample be typical MLA format? I need to cut my paper down to 10 pages. If I adjust the font to 11.5 it is ten pages. However, I'm not sure I can do that. Should I assume that the school wants my writing sample to follow MLA formatting  The school itself doesn't say anything about paper format. 

I would assume they want MLA, and that if you change your font style or size your essay will stick out like a sore thumb. Though this might not be a bad thing, I'm not sure. I know from being a Teaching Associate that if somebody even changes one slight thing like font size I notice it and become suspicious.

I would follow MLA format (or whatever your program uses). I know that when I am grading papers, I quickly notice when a student has changed the font and/or margins, even if it is a minor change. If I am looking at a stack of papers that are all 12-point TNR with 1" margins, those with something different really do stick out.

I would be afraid that submitting something that doesn't follow the academic standards could be a quick reason for not accepting your application.

Does MLA specify font? I know that it stipulates the heading, margins (1") and font size as 12, but I don't think it specifies a particular font. The head of my English department prefers Chicago/Turabian anyway and requires it in the grad program (since that's what most journals are in), so my sample was in that format. I really don't think it's that big of a deal, or they'd specify on the admissions site. The only school I saw that actually asked for TNR was Virginia. *shrug*

If they're really that picky, I guess I'm boned.

Does MLA specify font? I know that it stipulates the heading, margins (1") and font size as 12, but I don't think it specifies a particular font. The head of my English department prefers Chicago/Turabian anyway and requires it in the grad program (since that's what most journals are in), so my sample was in that format. I really don't think it's that big of a deal, or they'd specify on the admissions site. The only school I saw that actually asked for TNR was Virginia. *shrug*

No need to worry, bfat or anyone else. My writing sample was in a version of Chicago last year, and I got into two programs and was waitlisted at two others. Your DGS is right: most journals in our field require some version of Chicago. My sample this year is also in Chicago. No program can disqualify your application for failing to meet specific requirements they didn't explicitly provide.

Edited by HHEoS

On 12/22/2012 at 8:28 PM, bfat said:

No, I don't think there is a specific font for MLA. I think as long as it is not a crazy font, you are fine. I just used TNR as the example because it is the most common used.

Every journal has specific requirements. I figure if the schools wanted something specific, they would let us know.

Oh another question ( if anyone is still checking this). For your heading what information are you including? Are you putting name, the school you are applying to, date? 

I simply put the title of my paper and my full name on the first page. I also used a footer with my name, "WS", a shortened paper title, and page number. Most online application systems add your name, a random ID number, the document type (WS, SoP, CV etc.), and maybe a timestamp when a document is uploaded, so I didn't feel the need to include more than I did.

Edited by HHEoS

First page: full name and "Writing Sample" in the top corner, with the title two lines down and centered. Just last name and page number for the header.  Like HHEoS said, most online applications add information anyway, so you probably don't need a great deal more information.