Admits/Rejects Stats

Hello Everyone,

Like all of you I am also refreshing my emial box every 2 seconds and anxiously checking the mail everyday. This is an attempt to gather the stats of everyone that has been admitted or rejected so that in the future those who want to apply to programs can have an idea of a "general profile" for various programs. Thanks for sharing :D

School:

Program (MA/PhD):

status(accepted/rejected/waitlisted):

GPA:

GRE:

work experiance(yrs):

I'll answer that for you. :P

School: University of Oregon; University of Minnesota; University of Toronto; University of Chicago; University of Wisconsin (also, the Fulbright Program in Austria!)

Program (MA/PhD): PhD; PhD; MA (2 yr); MA; MA

status(accepted/rejected/waitlisted): rejected; rejected; N/A; N/A; N/A

GPA: 3.85

GRE: 580 V, 620 Q, 4.5 W (I'm a LOUSY test-taker.)

work experience(yrs): 2 years as editor of uni's student-run literary mag.; 1 year of independent literary translation

Majors: History, Political Science, Criminal Justice

GPA: 3.57

GRE: 670 Verbal, 730 Quantitative, 5.0 Writing

Schools: Duke (American History); University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (Military History)

Program: PhD; PhD

Work Experience: nothing academic related

I don't think you'll find that numbers are as useful as you think:

Here's me by the numbers:

Program: PhD, Computer Science

GPA: 2.7

GRE: 780Q, 570V, 4.0W

Publications: 0

So far: Three acceptances and counting. You can see the schools in my signature until I replace them with numbers later. I won't be enumerating them here because I'm not interested in providing future applicants bad notions about the competitiveness of programs that were kind enough to accept me.

In other words the folks out there who think numbers like GPA and GRE provide an accurate gauge of ones ability to get into a program should feel free to bite me. ;) It's not a useless metric, I'll be the first to admit to that, but it's not really that *useful* either.

Here we go!

School: University of Chicago, University of Washington, Stanford, Indiana University, University of Illinois

Program (MA/PhD): PhD, MA, MA, MA, MA

status(accepted/rejected/waitlisted): N/A, accepted, N/A, accepted, N/A

GPA: 3.72

GRE: 660V, 710Q, 4.0W

work experiance(yrs): none academically relavent

To Below Three:

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE you! I also have below a 3.0 GPA and i have been pretty successful with Acceptances, now I am waiting to hear from my dream school, it is the only school i have not heard from. I appreciate your honesty and optmism/realism. Grades aren't all that matter, you can have a student who has an immaculate academic record and perfect scores on the GRE, this does not imply that the individual can employ concepts they have learned in the academic world to research oriented careers.

Below three, you freaking rock, i am very proud of my GPA and i am happy to find other people who feel the same! :D

Applied: LSE, Harvard (KSG), Princeton (WWS)

Accepted: LSE (conditional to score 107 in TOEFL IBT: my score = 97)

Waiting: KSG, WWS

GRE: Q740, V420, AWA: 3

:roll:

You sure kept to the "long standing brands." :)

I don't think you'll find that numbers are as useful as you think:

Here's me by the numbers:

Program: PhD, Computer Science

GPA: 2.7

GRE: 780Q, 570V, 4.0W

Publications: 0

So far: Three acceptances and counting. You can see the schools in my signature until I replace them with numbers later. I won't be enumerating them here because I'm not interested in providing future applicants bad notions about the competitiveness of programs that were kind enough to accept me.

In other words the folks out there who think numbers like GPA and GRE provide an accurate gauge of ones ability to get into a program should feel free to bite me. ;) It's not a useless metric, I'll be the first to admit to that, but it's not really that *useful* either.

You are absolutely right, belowthree. The way I see it is that your raw stats are what "put your foot in the door", but in the end it's your personality, your ability, your passion for your chosen field that gets you in. The truth is, this is a rough year for admissions, and to some degree it's a matter of luck and being in the right place at the right time. It just so happens that the majority of my potential advisers can't take another student this year because their departments are only giving aid offers to people entering small/newly started labs. It just stinks to get a slough of emails that read "you were easily my strongest applicant, but I just don't have funding for you." Ouch. So I think I'll end up at a school with much less clout, but with plenty of money to get me through and very bright, enthusiastic profs. There really isn't a magic formula for getting into grad school (well, at least in the sciences, maybe in other disciplines).