Accepted with an incomplete application?!

fishasaurus

When I started applying for grad schools, I knew that one of my professors was going to have issues submitting his letter on time (he has a history of this sort of thing). My top choice school had a deadline of December 23rd, and all of my emails to him went unanswered. This school came back from break today, and I woke up to a voicemail from them. I figured that they would be asking me about the missing letter, but the message turned out to be an offer of admission. 

I'm a little shocked--not only did I get into my top school on the very first day they started looking through applications, but they accepted me with an incomplete application? This seems a little unusual to me, and I'm paranoid that they made a mistake. I know I had a strong application, but I don't know if it's so strong that they don't need all three letters. A friend of mine (another top student) applied and hasn't heard from them, and he has a complete application.

Is getting in with an incomplete application even a thing? And should I keep bugging my professor about submitting his letter? Does that even matter now?

I've read about other people on here getting accepted to programs without having all of the required letters of recommendation turned in. So I say that to say, it is possible. I don't think they made a mistake. I think it means you are a stellar applicant! Congratulations! :)

I received an email from an ad comm member, and they said that while they would prefer 3 letters, my file would be reviewed with just two, provided that my top LOR was submitted. Were the others you submitted your strongest or most relevant? Congratulations!

I was admitted that way before. It's definitely a surprise and totally awesome when it happens. In my case, I later had to get them the third letter because they wanted to nominate me for a university-wide fellowship.

Congratulations!!

Thanks guys! The missing letter was from my summer research advisor, but my other two letters were from my current research advisor, and a professor who has taught two of my classes and reviewed my NSF essays. Knowing that my summer advisor has a history of cutting it close and not responding to emails, I put my other two professors above him.

I got the official email today with details about arranging travel to the recruiting event in early March, so I guess they really meant it. I'm still a little surprised, but very excited!