Will submitting more letters of recommendation than required hurt my application?

I've been getting conflicting information regarding this issue. I'm applying to a Master's in English for Fall 2013, and one school I've applied to asked for 2 letters of recommendation (instead of the usual 3). My academic advisor told me to go ahead and submit 3 to this school, so I did. Now I'm beginning to worry that this may hurt my application more than help it. It could appear obnoxious, show that I can't follow directions, and give the committee more work than they desire. So, is this the kiss of death? The department didn't specifically say "at least" 2 letters, but neither did they say "no more than" 2. Ugh. This school is my top choice, and I'm starting to panic.

From what I have heard, sending an extra letter is never a bad thing. If the adcomm doesn't consider extra application materials the letter probably won't even get matched to your application. If they do, it will be seen as a positive something extra. It certainly won't be seen as "the kiss of death." Relax. The fact that more people want to recommend you than is necessary is something you should be happy about - and the school will be too.

One potential drawback I can imagine is that they might decide to look at only two of your recommendations, and by chance the one they don't consider may be your strongest. However, that seems super unlikely. Besides, you probably wouldn't have asked for those recs if you didn't think they were all going to be strong, right? Anyway, don't worry about it! Having one too many recommendations would be a really silly reason to reject someone.

Geez... I hope not. Due to some last minute scrambling, I had to ask an extra professor to write a letter to replace a letter that didnt come through. And then another professor volunteered to write a letter because they knew someone in the department to which I was applying. I felt uncomfortable saying, "No, thanks. I already have enough." Especially if this professor might have a strong connection to the dept! But then .... the original professor came through. :o

So now I have FIVE letters to a program that says they don't require more than three. They emphasize in their website- quality over quantity, three is enough. Sooooooooo....... for both our sakes, I hope that they don't get annoyed.

I've heard from several professors that any extra materials, if they don't want them, are just ignored. So no harm, no foul if you send extras.

Gooood to know! :) I got a little worried there...

I've heard really encouraging words about sending extra letters, but I've also read advice regarding the "top ten mistakes grad applicants make," and in bold, highlighted, flashing letters: DON'T SEND MORE LORs THAN ASKED FOR! And I thought, "Well, crap. I just did that." Good to know it's not so doom and gloom. And all 3 letters are really strong, so if they ignore one of them, it won't be that big of a deal. Thanks for the advice!

Don't want to be the negative voice, but I should pass along what I was told: sending more than the required number of letters is not always considered "something extra". For example, if you have 3 really super great letters and one good letter, it's better to just send the super great letters. Most of my programs that allowed more than 3 said that all letters will be treated / weighted equally, which means that a 4th sub-par letter will "dilute" the average. Other profs have said the same thing to me! 

I agree with TakeruK, and definitely wouldn't send extras if they aren't all stellar. If you think one won't be as good, certainly don't include it. I would only send more than are required if you're certain they are all equally strong.