Flights and Traveling

phonology_rocks

I am now engaged and well that's great and I can't wait to get married, me and my SO are still spending the next nine months almost completly apart.  The seperation is due to in part a nationality issue (I am Canadian and can't work in Minnesota where he is this summer because I am a grad student in New York, with a student visa).  Hes still a student in Minnesota, and has to do an internship for this program in state over the summer.

I by no means mean to complain, I know a lot of you guys have it worse and I really sympthaize with all the LDR's going on especially with teh stress of grad school.  I am simply wondering if anyone knows of any cheap flight tricks?  Where do you guys usually look when you have to travel?  Any possible last minute deal sites?  I have tired, and will be making the trip a few times, and same with him comming my way, but a figure it couldn't hurt to ask....because even a weekend when works tolerable, or in the summer, beats months of straight not seeing each other...

Also I have to travel for some conference stuff, (have to is the wrong word I am choosing too because of the academic value) and figured it couldn't hurt to ask other grad students about cheap flights for that reason as well.

you could try getting an airline credit card and you could get a free flight or two from the mileage accrual benefits. 

About the conference travel, your school may (or may not) have a discount/travel network deal-thing already. My school does and we get better deals (I think it's linked to travelocity) if we use our school code. 

you could try getting an airline credit card and you could get a free flight or two from the mileage accrual benefits. 

About the conference travel, your school may (or may not) have a discount/travel network deal-thing already. My school does and we get better deals (I think it's linked to travelocity) if we use our school code. 

Thanks I'll look into that!!! I am already super glad I made this post

I have regularly found cheap flights from www.momondo.com. I have also had some success in the past using http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm. The latter is a flight calendar / matrix powered by Google that shows you the cheapest available flights for your selected date range (assuming you have some flexibility in booking). You can't actually purchase the tickets from the ITA site, but at least you will know what type of dollar value you should be looking for (or if all else fails, it will give you something to stand on when bartering with a travel agency!).

I'll second the "get an credit card with rewards points" idea. However, if New York is like California, it's was a bit of a challenge to get a credit card in the US since my Canadian credit history is not transferrable to the US :( I managed to get one from Citi banks though, it's a student card so the rewards are not that great but it's better than nothing.

In addition, I used to think getting a credit card with reward miles/points was the best way to go but now I'm not so sure anymore. I think "cash back" (usually it's 0.5% to 1%) can give you back more than reward miles/points. But if you have reward miles (or other loyalty points through the travel carrier), you should try to also use the same carrier for personal travel as well as work travel. Then, you can use the benefits/points earned through work travel (which is reimbursed) to help pay for personal travel! 

For airlines, I also tried to keep track of which days the airlines post their weekly sales. For example, back in Canada, I noticed that Air Canada has sales on Wednesdays and WestJet on Thursdays. Sometimes they even allow you to sign up for a fare alert if the fare drops below some value.

I'll second the "get an credit card with rewards points" idea. However, if New York is like California, it's was a bit of a challenge to get a credit card in the US since my Canadian credit history is not transferrable to the US :( I managed to get one from Citi banks though, it's a student card so the rewards are not that great but it's better than nothing.

In addition, I used to think getting a credit card with reward miles/points was the best way to go but now I'm not so sure anymore. I think "cash back" (usually it's 0.5% to 1%) can give you back more than reward miles/points. But if you have reward miles (or other loyalty points through the travel carrier), you should try to also use the same carrier for personal travel as well as work travel. Then, you can use the benefits/points earned through work travel (which is reimbursed) to help pay for personal travel! 

For airlines, I also tried to keep track of which days the airlines post their weekly sales. For example, back in Canada, I noticed that Air Canada has sales on Wednesdays and WestJet on Thursdays. Sometimes they even allow you to sign up for a fare alert if the fare drops below some value.

Thanks! I didn't eeven think about the credit card issue, but i'll try that! and seat sale thing sounds like a great idea!

Hipmunk is good

Also, see if there is a particular airline that fits your travel plans best (ie DH has to fly into the small regional airport for work regularly and of the two airlines that service there, only one flies out of our local airport here) and pay attention for special promotions. I am able to fly back and forth from Texas for a wedding, free (and first class, woo!) because American had a special double-your-miles deal over the holidays.

Hipmunk is good

Also, see if there is a particular airline that fits your travel plans best (ie DH has to fly into the small regional airport for work regularly and of the two airlines that service there, only one flies out of our local airport here) and pay attention for special promotions. I am able to fly back and forth from Texas for a wedding, free (and first class, woo!) because American had a special double-your-miles deal over the holidays.

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation and had to do this same process when I started my program this fall. Lots of good advice already offered, but I'll throw in my two cents. Look at the airlines that fly out of each airport and look for smaller airlines. Sometimes these can be surprisingly cheap, but usually have limited service. Examples: Airtran, Allegiant. I've also found that it's sometimes cheaper to buy two one-way flights, especially around holidays for whatever reason. 

I'm in the same situation and had to do this same process when I started my program this fall. Lots of good advice already offered, but I'll throw in my two cents. Look at the airlines that fly out of each airport and look for smaller airlines. Sometimes these can be surprisingly cheap, but usually have limited service. Examples: Airtran, Allegiant. I've also found that it's sometimes cheaper to buy two one-way flights, especially around holidays for whatever reason. 

Wow thanks!! I really appreciate all the advice

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is from nearly 2 weeks ago, but I found that this hasn't been mentioned yet: Clear your cookies, or search in your browsers "private" or "incognito" mode. The reason is that flight websites will artificially increase prices if say, you go search for a flight one day, don't buy, then come back in a few days. The idea is that if you see that the prices have gone up, you will be more likely to buy the ticket now instead of delaying (you'll be afraid that tickets will increase even more if you wait longer), and the fact that you came back means that you're more likely to buy the second time so they can probably squeeze more money off you. They know that you come back because the first time you came, they saved a cookie in your browser. If you clear your cookies or browse incognito every time then you'll get the original cheaper prices every time. 

I know this is from nearly 2 weeks ago, but I found that this hasn't been mentioned yet: Clear your cookies, or search in your browsers "private" or "incognito" mode. The reason is that flight websites will artificially increase prices if say, you go search for a flight one day, don't buy, then come back in a few days. The idea is that if you see that the prices have gone up, you will be more likely to buy the ticket now instead of delaying (you'll be afraid that tickets will increase even more if you wait longer), and the fact that you came back means that you're more likely to buy the second time so they can probably squeeze more money off you. They know that you come back because the first time you came, they saved a cookie in your browser. If you clear your cookies or browse incognito every time then you'll get the original cheaper prices every time. 

Thanks so much I would have never ever thought of that!