Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2013 - let the wait begin!

So...I'm refreshing my inbox at least 4 times a minute...you?

I applied to AU's 3-year program, too. 

I submitted my application prior to their PRIORITY deadline (Dec 15) and heard nothing from them since then. Will they conduct some sort of interview?

Edited by krissada

I applied to AU's 3-year program, too.

I submitted my application prior to their PRIORITY deadline (Dec 15) and heard nothing from them since then. Will they conduct some sort of interview?

AU is my first choice!! They contacted me during the week about not receiving parts of my application - (I freaked out) - but then when I called they said they had found the missing pieces. I know someone on the program and I've been told there is an interview before the final offers are sent out. They're only choosing 5 students this year and they've had hundreds of applicants!

I think its 3 year program has attracted a lot of people.

Best of luck!!

I applied to just one program, UConn PhD.  I'm trying not to go crazy checking my email, although I was told by someone familiar with the review process that the admissions committee had their first meeting last week.  Ahhhh!  :o  :P

NYU and USC here. Im a good 'fit' but I'm worried my historical training (I have a MA in history and one in comm) is gonna skew me in a weird, not-very-theoretical light. Who knows! 

six programs here.....the waiting game is killing me.... the eariliest would be the first week of Feb (SUNY Buffalo) and the latest I thinks is aournd March (Wisconsin-Mandison).......

and my experience of applying for master programs tells me that any notification will come to you when you are doing sth. else but not checking the inbox............but this waiting game is really a torture! 

Edited by vincenthl

Seven programs here, five of which in communication. Not stressed at the moment, but I'm starting to feel the tension :)

I love to read other people are going through the same thing. Good luck to all of us!

Anyone had any difficulty with the USC admissions office? They sent me an e-mail saying my gre and transcripts were missing but it was just a mis-communication between the general office of admission and Annenberg. I have called and e-mailed, trying to get the department to confirm that they are receiving my paperwork and that my application is in the pile to be reviewed. I do not want to be rejected due to their paperwork error but no one will be straight with me about the confusion. Should I call the general admissions office again? Does anyone know how to get them to listen to me? Because most of their responses show that they don't comprehend my problem and I've been painfully direct and clear with them. Usually I feel like they did not read my e-mail or consider what I said to them when I hear their responses which do not answer my questions. How do they expect us to clear up application confusion like this if they don't listen?

Anyone had any difficulty with the USC admissions office? They sent me an e-mail saying my gre and transcripts were missing but it was just a mis-communication between the general office of admission and Annenberg. I have called and e-mailed, trying to get the department to confirm that they are receiving my paperwork and that my application is in the pile to be reviewed. I do not want to be rejected due to their paperwork error but no one will be straight with me about the confusion. Should I call the general admissions office again? Does anyone know how to get them to listen to me? Because most of their responses show that they don't comprehend my problem and I've been painfully direct and clear with them. Usually I feel like they did not read my e-mail or consider what I said to them when I hear their responses which do not answer my questions. How do they expect us to clear up application confusion like this if they don't listen?

Hi,Silent_Bobina.

I have the same problem with one school. They lost one set of my transcript so I contacted the department secretary and learned that all the materials were submitted to the department where they photocopied these materials for review and then the dept sent the original to the graduate school admission office. 

Therefore, I asked the department secretary to help me check with the graduate school and the GS finally discovered the transcript and updated my application status. What I learned from this case is that you need to be clear about how they process your application and pinpoint who is responsible for the mistake.

As for GRE score, it is much quicker to explain your situation to ETS while ask the GS if you can submit a photocopied report instead.

Good luck to you! :)

When you called/emailed them, did they tell you whether they finally got your materials or not? If not, I would either contact them again, or if you think that wouldn't serve any purpose, I would email/fax/fedex the paperwork in question.

From previous communication I exchanged with them, I got they have a lot on their plate right now. Last year Annenberg alone got 250 PhD applications, that's a lot of stuff to process.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! Krissada, I considered doing just that, getting on the phone with them and staying on the line while they contact someone from the general admissions office. Maybe it will help. Thanks!

Pietrosan, no they never confirmed receiving my transcript, only my GRE scores at Annenberg. Only the General admissions office confirmed having both. I understand that they have a lot to go through but all the more reason for them to listen the first time I contact them so it could all be cleared up. I've been going back and forth with them over this for two weeks, they're wasting their own time for something that isn't even really a problem, all the materials are right there. I have sent them an unofficial transcript and the woman on the phone said that would put my application into the review pile while the general admissions office is processing the official copy but when I e-mailed them the transcript to get it in writing that that was what was going on they only responded that my unofficial transcript would be added to my file, not that my file was now entering the review process. I suppose my only real option is to call them again. Thanks for the help! 

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! Krissada, I considered doing just that, getting on the phone with them and staying on the line while they contact someone from the general admissions office. Maybe it will help. Thanks!

Pietrosan, no they never confirmed receiving my transcript, only my GRE scores at Annenberg. Only the General admissions office confirmed having both. I understand that they have a lot to go through but all the more reason for them to listen the first time I contact them so it could all be cleared up. I've been going back and forth with them over this for two weeks, they're wasting their own time for something that isn't even really a problem, all the materials are right there. I have sent them an unofficial transcript and the woman on the phone said that would put my application into the review pile while the general admissions office is processing the official copy but when I e-mailed them the transcript to get it in writing that that was what was going on they only responded that my unofficial transcript would be added to my file, not that my file was now entering the review process. I suppose my only real option is to call them again. Thanks for the help! 

Yeah, call them up then. We all know how frustrating this process can be... Good luck!

Received call from Dr. Radway of Northwestern University informing me that I was one of eight that made the shortlist for admissions into the program (Rhetoric and Public Culture). After she informed that I have been invited to attend the graduate student visitation weekend at the end of February. We had nice conversation and she congratulated me on making it thus far in what was a competitive pool of applicants. 

Excellent!!  Congratulations!

Received call from Dr. Radway of Northwestern University informing me that I was one of eight that made the shortlist for admissions into the program (Rhetoric and Public Culture). After she informed that I have been invited to attend the graduate student visitation weekend at the end of February. We had nice conversation and she congratulated me on making it thus far in what was a competitive pool of applicants. 

wow! congratulations!

Gratz! First choice?

Congrate to Saluki88!

I got a question in ths stage...I have contated some professors  who match with my resarch interest and they replied like we match very well and something like recommend you to apply...After that I didn't contact them..Should I send an email to them informing that I submit my application and hope they could review my materail (I know they wil review every applican's application, but I want to send this to make them maybe give more attention on my application)?

Oh shit. Here we go.

BTW I have applied to Cornell but haven't heard from them. I have to say though, I'm glad to see that one person didn't have a stellar GPA or GRE and still got an interview.

Nothing from AU yet I'm afraid...and judging from past years it's still going to be quiet till the end of February.

I know Cornell notify quite early...so we may start hearing back from them this week. :-S

How are you all feeling?

I'm nervous because I already received one rejection from my very short list of targets. I am now waiting on two programs, USC and UC Boulder. Boulder is my top choice and is a perfect fit and they received all of my application materials with no problems so it's just a matter of waiting. As for the USC situation, I called back the general graduate admissions office and they told me two more different things... they said that no one ever sent my transcript through the process to integrate it with my file (which makes very little sense because my GRE scores went through in a couple of days with no problem) and they also said that their process does not effect whether your application is reviewed in w/e department you applied to. Although I hope this means the problem is now fixed and this woman is correct about the review process, I will be pretty upset if I get a quick turn around rejection. 

im checking the result list every hour. apparently no one has heard from UT Austin yet. according to previous practice, results could be coming in anytime...

this is the only communication program that I've applied (two other schools for American Studies). if i dont get in or if im not funded, i will have to start job hunting again.

God knows how many rejections one can take...

fingers crossed!!!

I'm nervous because I already received one rejection from my very short list of targets. I am now waiting on two programs, USC and UC Boulder. Boulder is my top choice and is a perfect fit and they received all of my application materials with no problems so it's just a matter of waiting. As for the USC situation, I called back the general graduate admissions office and they told me two more different things... they said that no one ever sent my transcript through the process to integrate it with my file (which makes very little sense because my GRE scores went through in a couple of days with no problem) and they also said that their process does not effect whether your application is reviewed in w/e department you applied to. Although I hope this means the problem is now fixed and this woman is correct about the review process, I will be pretty upset if I get a quick turn around rejection. 

Pretty much every University states that if something important is missing, they'll get in touch. When it comes to GRE and TOEFL scores or transcripts, I don't think having or not having received official copies would make or break your application. From what I've seen, most likely they will consider you application just like any other, and either before or contextually to their offer, they will want to see official materials, in order to double check that what you declared is legit. In other words, I wouldn't worry too much. 

And BTW that's what happened to me with UCSD: they didn't receive my scores, so they contacted me and told me that if I were to be selected, I would have to resend the scores in.