Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2013 - let the wait begin!

Just read in the Results section that someone's heard back from Cornell and Maryland (I'm guessing the same person) - which are two of the schools I applied to. I haven't heard a peep. Safe to say...I'm officially in panic mode. For Maryland especially...I really wanted to be in DC!!

I was the one who posted that I had an interview with Cornell last week! I know my GRE scores and GPA weren't stellar but I had some decent research experience since starting my MA program. I haven't heard anything from them since, but they said they expected to have decisions made by late next week.

Also, I saw someone posted today that they got accepted. During the interview, Cornell told me they had 125 applicants, were doing 20 interviews and only accepting 2-3. So... good luck to all! It's a tight race!

Just read in the Results section that someone's heard back from Cornell and Maryland (I'm guessing the same person) - which are two of the schools I applied to. I haven't heard a peep. Safe to say...I'm officially in panic mode. For Maryland especially...I really wanted to be in DC!!

Also, I'm in panic mode too. Perhaps I should get my unemployment application started? :(

Cornell will likely be next week (I am undergrad in the program) and they had a meeting yesterday I believe. I am new to site, but have been browsing on and off. I applied to UPenn, Cornell, Michigan, and Wisconsin, so good luck to all.

Also, I saw someone posted today that they got accepted. During the interview, Cornell told me they had 125 applicants, were doing 20 interviews and only accepting 2-3. So... good luck to all! It's a tight race!

LOL

125 is not that much...

I think Stanford usually has like 200-300 and last year they accepted 4 students. I guess, it is always a tight race at these schools ;) Good luck to you guys!

Somewhat frustrated because I submitted my applications too early and had heard nothing from the univs since then. 

I want to contact POI or graduate advisor or someone in the program and do not know what to say. My enthusiasm has been tempered as time goes by.

<_<

Edited by krissada

Somewhat frustrated because I submitted my applications too early and had heard nothing from the univs since then. 

I want to contact POI or graduate advisor or someone in the program and do not know what to say. My enthusiasm has been tempered as time goes by.

<_<

You are not alone...mine is following me on Twitter.

Meanwhile, is anyone else going INSANE waiting to hear something? The suspense is killing me.

Yes!!  The graduate program director told me that they were going to meet on the 9th to decide who's in or out and the following week to discuss funding.  So now here we are on the 30th....  :unsure:  I haven't seen any results for this program yet, though.

Don't lose hope yet, folks! Optimism is key here. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Meanwhile, is anyone else going INSANE waiting to hear something? The suspense is killing me.

Yes! Gosh. I am irrationally bummed out about having heard nothing, re: my 7 apps. I applied between three fields and apparently I only picked schools that release decisions late in the game. For comm (phd), I applied to NYU and USC. 

Don't lose hope yet, folks! Optimism is key here. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Yes! Gosh. I am irrationally bummed out about having heard nothing, re: my 7 apps. I applied between three fields and apparently I only picked schools that release decisions late in the game. For comm (phd), I applied to NYU and USC. 

You are all very much right...we have to be positive! No news is just no news...until it's good news - or news that we have to deal with accordingly.

It's almost February!!!

Austin is still under review for me too, judging from last years submissions it should be changing soon though!

Which stream did you pick? Mine is organizational communication and technology.

I'm totally freaking out. UT Austin's acceptance rate was around 27% last year, which is already super high already. If I still don't get in, I will feel really really bad about myself. The other programs that I have applied are like 6%.

Which stream did you pick? Mine is organizational communication and technology.

I'm totally freaking out. UT Austin's acceptance rate was around 27% last year, which is already super high already. If I still don't get in, I will feel really really bad about myself. The other programs that I have applied are like 6%.

The thing about Austin is not the acceptance but the funding... They don't provide funding to all of the accepted students and these decisions won't be made for another month or so.

And yes, it depends on which track you applied to. I completely freaked last year but in the email I then got it said that the 'org and comm tech track made their final decisions'. Hang in there!

I applied to the org comm and tech track too. I thought that might be the reason we hadn't heard anything! The grad secretary (or maybe it was on the website) had mentioned that only faculty of the particular track you select will be looking at your application. I was kind of bummed, some of the faculty in the interpersonal track are a great fit too. Anyway, no reason to go crazy yet :)

Someone got into UT Austin's Communications Studies already yesterday. My status is still under review.... Is this bad???

Well, personally I'm looking at that Stanford admission and thinking, if I was shortlisted, I probably would have heard something by now.

I applied to the org comm and tech track too. I thought that might be the reason we hadn't heard anything! The grad secretary (or maybe it was on the website) had mentioned that only faculty of the particular track you select will be looking at your application. I was kind of bummed, some of the faculty in the interpersonal track are a great fit too. Anyway, no reason to go crazy yet :)

I hate it that they just can't issue all the acceptances and rejections at once! I just wanna get it over with if my dream is to be crushed anyway :(

The thing about Austin is not the acceptance but the funding... They don't provide funding to all of the accepted students and these decisions won't be made for another month or so.

And yes, it depends on which track you applied to. I completely freaked last year but in the email I then got it said that the 'org and comm tech track made their final decisions'. Hang in there!

what funding offer did they give you last year? if you dont mind sharing.

i think it kind of sucks that they accept more than they can actually fund. to most students (like me), if a school doesnt fund you, it basically means they dont really want you there (i know their website says the otherwise)

its like inflating their acceptance rate cuz many just cant afford to attend

Noticed that folks applied to Northwestern? Which area? Rhetoric and Public Culture, Performance Studies, or Media and Technology Studies? 

I know that folks have already been invited for paid visit/interview weekend, myself included. 

Nonetheless, wishing you all the best! 

Noticed that folks applied to Northwestern? Which area? Rhetoric and Public Culture, Performance Studies, or Media and Technology Studies? 

I know that folks have already been invited for paid visit/interview weekend, myself included. 

Nonetheless, wishing you all the best! 

I have applied to the Technology and Social Behavior program.