Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2013 - let the wait begin!

For those applying to UW-Madison, to what track did you apply? I applied to the Communication Science track, had a skype interview on Jan. 18 and positive feedback from the professor in a few email exchanges afterward but haven't heard anything since Jan. 24. She said they only have 5 available spots this year and that she'd be in touch soon, but I am still waiting and the suspense is killing me! :-P

I applied to the Rhetoric track but I have yet to hear anything so the fact that you have had an interview and are exchanging emails with someone puts you way ahead of me.  Good luck.

Anyone else quite confused as to why Cornell hasn't put us out of our misery yet?

You haven't heard from them? I had a skype interview and have been waitlisted. From what I have heard, they only offered admits to three applicants.

You haven't heard from them? I had a skype interview and have been waitlisted. From what I have heard, they only offered admits to three applicants.

I havent heard anything either... Do they correspond with you via email?

For those applying to UW-Madison, to what track did you apply? I applied to the Communication Science track, had a skype interview on Jan. 18 and positive feedback from the professor in a few email exchanges afterward but haven't heard anything since Jan. 24. She said they only have 5 available spots this year and that she'd be in touch soon, but I am still waiting and the suspense is killing me! :-P

Oh boy... I applied to Communication Sceience as well. Since I haven't heard anything from them and you had your interview, I feel like the rejection letter is coming up for me... Oyyy!

Congratulations on getting interviewed though, seems like you will get that one spot out of 5!  

Congrats to all of you!

Still no word from UT

I feel like my chances are getting smaller by the second

Stay positive tiarabun!! No news is just that - no news. Try not to theorize what it could mean just yet! Anything can happen!

I havent heard anything either... Do they correspond with you via email?

Yes. I have been in contact via email with a couple professors for a couple of weeks now. I'm one of a few applicants they waitlisted. (less than 5% admitted of 120 and less than 5% waitlisted).

Oh boy... I applied to Communication Sceience as well. Since I haven't heard anything from them and you had your interview, I feel like the rejection letter is coming up for me... Oyyy!

Congratulations on getting interviewed though, seems like you will get that one spot out of 5!  

Oh no! I don't know... it sounds like they are taking their time and that different professors are contacting different applicants, so don't lose hope yet! So much of this is a crap shoot it seems, and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere great! Good luck to you!

Yes. I have been in contact via email with a couple professors for a couple of weeks now. I'm one of a few applicants they waitlisted. (less than 5% admitted of 120 and less than 5% waitlisted).

I had an interview 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything since. I take it this is bad news being that they've been in contact with you since your interview?

I had an interview 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything since. I take it this is bad news being that they've been in contact with you since your interview?

I cannot say for certain, but I am leaning towards not so good news. But you never know!

My Acceptance/Rejection count: 

1. University of Denver (Accepted--competitive offer)

2. Northwestern University (Finalist--invited to all-expense paid campus visit at end of month)

3. University of Washington (Accepted--full funding + $1000 moving reimbursement)

4. University of North Carolina (Rejected)

5. University of Pennsylvania (Rejected)

6. Washington State University (Accepted)

7. University of Massachusetts-Amherst (Awaiting)

I am very excited, the schools I got rejected from were not a top choice for me. Good luck all! 

Penn Annenberg is sending out emails right now. I got rejected. I knew it was a long shot, but hey, it was worth a shot nonetheless.

It's also the first communication I get, so it kinda stings a bit.

Penn Annenberg is sending out emails right now. I got rejected. I knew it was a long shot, but hey, it was worth a shot nonetheless.

It's also the first communication I get, so it kinda stings a bit.

You're right -- I feel the same way! But I'm glad they didn't wait until the end of February to let us know, like the last email said. I'm glad I was able to get this rejection out of the way because I was losing sleep due to nervousness and anxiety!

My Acceptance/Rejection count: 

1. University of Denver (Accepted--competitive offer)

2. Northwestern University (Finalist--invited to all-expense paid campus visit at end of month)

3. University of Washington (Accepted--full funding + $1000 moving reimbursement)

4. University of North Carolina (Rejected)

5. University of Pennsylvania (Rejected)

6. Washington State University (Accepted)

7. University of Massachusetts-Amherst (Awaiting)

I am very excited, the schools I got rejected from were not a top choice for me. Good luck all! 

Wow congratulations Tazo11!

Your stats look really good, especially University of Washington. I'm sure if you get accepted to Northwestern, they will give you better funding.

Do you have an idea on which university are you thinking of accepting?

NC State sent their letters this weekend, rejected... For those who got the rejection letter this weekend/week, let's have some ice cream pity party!

Does anyone know what's going on with USC Annenberg? They are so notorious for taking forever and I got accepted to my top choice with funding, moving reimbursement and paid visit. Getting accepted to USC would give me a lot to consider because I also really admire and fit well with their department but I don't want to wait till March or April just to get a rejection. How long should you wait with an offer from your top choice? How do you nudge other departments to tell you where they are in their process? 

Does anyone know what's going on with USC Annenberg? They are so notorious for taking forever and I got accepted to my top choice with funding, moving reimbursement and paid visit. Getting accepted to USC would give me a lot to consider because I also really admire and fit well with their department but I don't want to wait till March or April just to get a rejection. How long should you wait with an offer from your top choice? How do you nudge other departments to tell you where they are in their process? 

USC Annenberg is my top choice. I haven't received any communication from them as of today.

Judging from past years, they usually send out the first wave of acceptance notifications in mid-February (any day now). They notify individuals who are on wait list shortly after, and take them off the wait list (i.e. those individuals get accepted) around the beginning of April. Rejections seem to be clustered from mid-March through the beginning of April.

Does anyone have any additional information?

USC Annenberg is my top choice. I haven't received any communication from them as of today. Judging from past years, they usually send out the first wave of acceptance notifications in mid-February (any day now). They notify individuals who are on wait list shortly after, and take them off the wait list (i.e. those individuals get accepted) around the beginning of April. Rejections seem to be clustered from mid-March through the beginning of April. Does anyone have any additional information?
Nothing here either. Tho if they are still sticklers about snailmail I won't hear anything for awhile longer as I'm in Toronto. Applied to NYU too, so apparently I only picked departments that drag their feet. :P

Did any of you guys apply to the Communications Ph.D. program within the Columbia Journalism School?

I did, and I'm anxious about the results. There's really not much information on the website, like stats of previous admitted students or the averages of scores and GPA's.

Has anyone been offered summer funding to attend summer programs this summer prior to starting in Fall?  I got a couple offers that included that and I'd never heard of such a thing.  They sound really cool, but also it would be nice to enjoy summer...  I wonder if most people take them up on this and if I didn't if I'd be behind?

Also congrats on all recent acceptances!

someone posted on the result page that UT would be sending out results next week.

and the person learned about that via a phone interview.

i didnt even know UT does phone interviews!