$84,000 price tag for MSW? Worth it?

CJMSW

I've started looking at MSW programs to apply to. I came across University of Southern California's program and was really impressed...then I saw how much it cost. $84,000!!! Is that absolutely insane? Is it worth it?  My overall goal is to become a Social Worker with the V.A. to work with Veterans. USC's MSW program offers a subconcentration in Military & Veteran Social Work. The classes deal with the specific issues that Veterans encounter and the fieldwork is done at local VA hospitals/Outpatient Clinics or on military bases. I really love the program but the idea of spending that much money on a degree seems absurd.

Does anyone know of any other MSW programs out there that have a similar focus with less sticker shock? Will having that type of concentraion & fieldwork make me more attractive to the VA in the future, or am I just as likely to get hired by the agency with a MSW from somewhere else? :unsure:

Of the 40 LCSW's I work with at the VA in San Diego, two graduated from USC decades ago. 7 graduated from SDSU in the past 5 years and several went to other schools nationwide. I was extremely interested in USC's military concentration. My goal is to serve in the Navy as an active duty LCSW. Speaking with recruiters in the military my military experience will aid me more than a degree from USC. I set up interviews for the social work department at the VA and I see MSW transcripts and resumes and the school is not weighed heavily. Job experience and relative knowledge of mental health and trauma is deemed favorable. And you can find those concentrations in several programs. Lastly, I work with one clinician who went to SDSU and did her practicum at the VA and she was hired post graduation. If you are applying/accepted to schools that offer such practicums I would suggest aggressively seeking a field placement at the VA or with the DOD. USC is a phenomenal school with a great MSW program. I attended many information sessions, am friendly with the admissions advisors, and know plenty of alumni. I had to realisticly asses the cost and sadly, my military benefits wouldn't even cover half. Thats quite disconcerting. I applied to it as a back up school, and luckily I dont have to fall back on it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, "worth it" is subjective.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average social worker makes about $42,000 a year.  The top 10% make $70,390 on average, which still isn't at the level you need to repay $84K in loans.  However, USC's placement may make the program worth it.  Investigate where their graduates go when they leave USC, and investigate other programs as well.

Personally, if I were doing an MSW (and I considered it strongly before deciding to get a PhD), I would go to a in-state public flagship school (in my case, UGA was my goal before I changed my mind).  You can learn the clinical skills you need there and intern at a nearby VA hospital or base.  Sometimes you don't need coursework to learn the relevant stuff; I am willing to bet that the vast majority of social workers in the military did not have a subconcentration in military and veteran social work at their programs.  Many of them may not even have intended to do social work in the military.  Clinical social workers are in such high demand, especially at VA medical centers and in the military, that I doubt your lack of a concentration will hurt you if you attend a reputable school.

Doooooont do it. I have 90k in loans for my undergrad and masters on a teacher salary. That's about $750/mo out of 2,300 straight to loans, to give you an idea of what you're looking at. This is a small part of why I'm applying to phd... Eventually a higher salary to help knock those out. The only choice you have is to pay them every month.

Yeah I agree with the others. $84,000 in loans is absolutely not worth it, especially since there are plenty of other programs that will get you to the same end goal for whole lot less money. You could end up paying for that loan and the interest for the rest of your life!!