Williams Interview?

clamato

The Williams interview is optional. They conduct them during January, and you have to request whether or not you'd like one.

I'm on the fence.

Williams is my first choice, and I want to show them that I'm interested and dedicated to the program. I feel like requesting an interview might give me an edge in that respect.

But I'm located a good distance away from Williamstown, so the interview would be over the phone. I interview well in person, but all of my phone interviews thus far have been less than stellar.

Should I request one?

Has anyone here had any experience with the interviews? Who conducts them? Is it your POI?

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

I'm interviewing there at the end of the month - however, I'm actually physically going there because I want to meet the faculty and I do interview better in person. However, I understand the dilemma, traveling there is rough if you can't just drive there yourself. Good luck with your decision! 

Clamato-- I interviewed at Williams about 5 years ago when I was applying to MA programs.  As I recall, it's the grad director that conducts them (I think it was Marc Simpson at the time, though I could be wrong).  I remember it being a pretty intense interview, but I was also young and not very well-informed about the process.  I remember the inteviewer seeming totally appalled that I hadn't taken a theory class (it wasn't required in my undergrad major).  If the interview goes well, I imagine that it has a great impact and shows your interest- on the other hand, Williamstown can be tricky to get to in the winter.

(as someone who did this particular interview successfully some years back)...

be prepared to talk about the art you find most compelling (and why... we're talking specifics... artist, artwork, etc.), the art history you find most compelling and why (again, particular books, articles, authors, etc.), and relatedly, the type of methodological approach you find most compelling and why.

also, be prepared to talk about your ambitions both in regard to the near future at williams -- specific museum work, coursework, interaction with research fellows, art conservation, etc. (read the website) -- and the far away future after williams.

come prepared with good questions.

Edited by asdf123

Ditto what asdf said (though admittedly, I was unsuccessful).

I remember being paired off with a current student and being taken on a tour of the library and sitting down to talk about the program and ask questions.  Not sure if this is their normal practice, or if someone just happened to be available that day, but it'd be worth considering questions for a current student as well as the grad director.  

It's good that you're taking a theory class next semester, in case that question comes up!