Hamilton, ON

liszt85

In lieu of any responses from McMaster people and true Hamiltonians, I can offer you a little bit of info as someone originally from Toronto/Southern Ontario who occasionally ventures to "the Hammer". Others might be able to help out more, but I'll give you a brief pro/con list in the meantime.

Pros:

- I always thought the McMaster campus was quite nice and easy on the eyes. It's self-enclosed. Everyone I know who went there for undergrad loved it.

- Cost of living/rent is quite low and affordable compared to cities of a similar size, especially in comparison to Toronto (though I think this might also depend on where you want to live, how close to campus, etc.). You'd probably be able to score some pretty sweet 1br.-2br. apartments at a good price for you and your partner.

- proximity to Toronto (45 minute drive), or Niagara Falls/Buffalo (~1 hour drive) if you want a getaway.

Cons:

- As a Steeltown Hamilton is sort of quasi rust-belt. It's still a safe and liveable city - don't get me wrong - but downtown is kinda dead and a little sketchy, to be honest.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to Hamilton too, and have been doing a bit of research. What I often hear from people I've talked to is that Hamilton is a dead city, polluted with nothing to do. However, cost of living seems really cheap, I have been looking at appt, and you could probably find a really nice 1 bdr for about $500. I also visited not too long ago, the campus really is beautiful, I come from a university in a downtown major city, with nothing but big buildings and no grass so this campus is a definitive change of atmosphere and i'm looking forward to it. And, I also like to keep reminding myself its close to TO if ever I get sick of the small town. Also, the transit system is great, when I was at Mac, I also went to TO to visit another university and you can take the GO system bus (from campus) that takes you to TO for about $10 (many profs and students even live in TO but go to Mac). Public transportation is also free for student in Hamilton.

That's about all I have, I hope you enjoy your move to Mac! I'm definitely looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm at mac! the campus definitely has its charms: it's well serviced by buses (both city and inter-city), has green space, lots of services for students, a generous library, and a very decent food court. it's also in walking distance from restaurants, hiking trails, and various housing options. i should also add that the atmosphere is much less intense than, say, the uoft campus. in the mills library, for instance, you can talk on the phone while you're in the stacks! and eat wherever you like. there are designated quiet areas, rather than designated food/talk areas. it's a different sort of culture, and it takes some getting used to. (especially when i go back and forth between mills and robarts).

though i moved to hamilton two years ago (a year before i started grad school), it's taken me a while to realize just how much the city has to offer: art gallery, concerts, sports teams, farmers' market, botanical gardens, bayfront park, beach area, yummy multicultural cuisine, fairtrade/indie tea and coffeehouses, and all the basic amenities you'd anticipate in a city of 500,000. that said, the downtown is a disaster, and some of the aforementioned amenities (say, a chapters bookstore or a movie theatre with more than four screens) are only accessible "up the mountain," a 20 minute busride from the downtown core.

i pay $550 plus electricity, phone, internet for a spacious one bedroom attic with no laundry facilities and a 20 minute bus ride to campus.

let me know if you have any more questions!

*eta: a student ten-ride go transit ticket to toronto costs about $77, and it's one hour from downtown hamilton to downtown toronto.

• 2 years later...

The city of Hamilton is on a grid, very convenient and easy to navigate. Personally, I love their public transit.

Torontonians bash Hamilton because it's "dirty" and "smelly" due to pollution. I lived there for most of my life, so I never noticed poor air quality.

Also, depending on your area of interest in economics, Mac seems attractive given its proximity to Toronto.

What are your biggest concerns?

Hamilton is a city that once thrived because of a vibrant industrial base but has now lst most of its manufacturing base. There is alot of poverty and hardship but the city is also very livable and has pockets of progressive politics. For students, it is very affordable. Mac is a great school, I have done all my degrees here. It's not Montreal, but it has many things to offer.

Yeah, the problem with West Village is that it's students only, and my boyfriend, who is a non-student, will be living with me. padmapper.com has been pretty useful for me so far. The only thing is it's hard to know what areas of Hamilton are less sketchy than others :)

• 3 months later...

I used to live in Hamilton and had a sister who attended Mac. If I were going to school there I'd definitely live in Westdale - cute houses, charming village centre, and much closer to Mac than Locke St. (ie. the former is walkable, the latter is much less so). Also everywhere in Westdale feels safe.

That said, simply because I'm more attracted to bigger cities, I'd probably choose McGill over Mac.

• 4 months later...

My knowledge comes from both my parents having lived in Hamilton for quite a while, although this IS about 23 years ago.

Hamilton is an industry town, whatever that means to you.

Be forewarned: winters come with lots of damp snow. It is humid year-round (not tropical-humid, but sufficiently so) and summers are hot and muggy - make sure you have a place with A/C and good air circulation, for comfort!