2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

napoleon-- you should skim through the last 10 pages of the survey, you'll see even top schools with acceptances running the gamut as far as stats and a number of perfect scores being rejected. That should give you a good idea.

EDIT: case en point: Cornell has 1 admit with a 3.5ish GPA (no MA listed).

Was anybody rejected from Colorado-Boulder PhD but accepted to MA? Do you think you will attend? 

There's no funding for MA plus they charge out of state for first year, and I don't see MA placement on their page.

Edited by superhamdi

in order to be vanderbilted everybody else that applied would have to be on the 'second-tier' wait list along with you. sounds like you might actually have been wait listed. 

Thanks for the clarification! I supected that I was being waitlisted too when I read the letter, but then since no one seems to have posted any results of any kind for this season from them, I suppose I crawled back into my shell of denial. Scanning it again more carefully, I think you're right that it's a waitlist letter. I stand by my initial complaint that it is in fact needlessly and painfully vague, so I'm not sure whether to post it in results or not.

Plus, I'm guessing you're a female, which unfortunately can also have an adverse affect (granted it may not necessarily be a conscious decision). Which is why I think applications should be assigned #'s and names should be excluded while being evaluated. That said, I hope (and think) you will get into a program of your choosing! There's still over a month left before postseason starts!

Thank you, superhamdi, for pointing out the bias involved in the acceptance process. I highly recommend (the Philosopher) Jennifer Saul's work on the topic, starting with her article in the Philosophers' Magazine: http://philosophypress.co.uk/?p=1079

Look at how many comments in this thread presume masculinity, addressing "boys" and "guys". We're all guilty, and if you believe you're impartial, then take this test: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

On the original topic, I'd also stress the importance of professors' interests. My stepmother's advisor bluntly stated when she met him for the first time, "You know why you were accepted, right? You research what I research, and I wanted a new graduate student this year." I doubt that dynamic has changed much.

Superhamdi - Same boat as you. Rejected from PhD at Boulder but accepted to MA. Looking through their funding info it seems that in the past they have allowed out of state applicants to defer for a year so as to begin with in-state tuition. Not only that, but they are part of the Western States Consortium (or something like that, can't quite remember) and you can get in state tuition from living in any state out west. One plan I've been kicking around, as things look increasingly grim, is to move out west for a year and then give it a shot. Of course, this flies in the face of the general consensus on this forum, which seems to be DO NOT go to an unfunded MA program. 

Still holding out some tiny bits of hope for a few places though. Speaking of which, did anyone else apply to University of Washington? Or have any idea when we might hear from them?

A recent Results post for Missouri-Columbia reports that the admittee received funding.  Could this person elaborate?  Does this mean the funding decisions for those nominated in January have been finalized?  (I was nominated but have not yet received an update)

Superhamdi - Same boat as you. Rejected from PhD at Boulder but accepted to MA. Looking through their funding info it seems that in the past they have allowed out of state applicants to defer for a year so as to begin with in-state tuition. Not only that, but they are part of the Western States Consortium (or something like that, can't quite remember) and you can get in state tuition from living in any state out west. One plan I've been kicking around, as things look increasingly grim, is to move out west for a year and then give it a shot. Of course, this flies in the face of the general consensus on this forum, which seems to be DO NOT go to an unfunded MA program. 

Still holding out some tiny bits of hope for a few places though. Speaking of which, did anyone else apply to University of Washington? Or have any idea when we might hear from them?

I applied to Washington.  Should hear tomorrow or the first judging by previous years.  Every year, the first acceptances are posted on the last day of February. 

On the original topic, I'd also stress the importance of professors' interests. My stepmother's advisor bluntly stated when she met him for the first time, "You know why you were accepted, right? You research what I research, and I wanted a new graduate student this year." I doubt that dynamic has changed much.

THIS THIS THIS THIS. I've had this explained to me a thousand times over, but it can't be repeated too often. They only want/need so many people studying (your AOI here).

Aquinas was my first love, but we have parted ways a bit since. Yale would be a dream, but I am not bold enough to fully hope - especially since I haven't heard back and you have. Toronto, however, while also a dream is one that I am indeed hoping to hear from, and soon. Thank you for your vote of confidence and congratulations on the top notch acceptances. 

Hadn't checked in a while. Thank you--I am incredibly excited about these results. Let me know how it went with Toronto! (I hope you are right, and they at least have you on their waiting list!)

Edited by CanadianStudent84

If you are absolutely certain that getting a PhD in Philosophy is what you want to do with your life, then getting an unfunded MA is not the worst thing in the world. Sometimes a MA is essential for boosting an undergrag GPA, developing a better writing sample, and getting better letter's...which can help you get into a better school (or help you get into a PhD program, period). An MA is only 1-2 years, so the expense isn't as much as paying for a PhD (which I would absolutely not reccomend).  This being said, I would only pay for an MA if you have some sort of fall back option (like, parents who will let you live with them if you run out of money).  I also advise getting a job (even if its just part time) when in the Master's program.  Taking out loans for living expenses on top of loans to cover tuition is NOT a good idea.  When you get a PhD, chances are you will have to teach or TA at some point as part of your funding package, so working 20 hours a week and studying is not terribly dissimiliar from being in a PhD program anyway. 

Is any of the two recent UIC admits in this forum? It said on the results list that they called you and an email will follow. Did the email already follow? Any other infos?

(I don't expect anything anymore, but with UIC I still had a small, small hope. And because I'm international, I don't think they would call me, but simply send me an email together with the others. Thus I would get to know it a bit later, like it was the case with internationals in the last few years too according to the results list)

A paper of mine was just officially accepted with a good journal (and one of which some professors at schools that I applied to and haven't heard from are on the advisory board for). Should I notify schools of this, or would it be annoying?

A paper of mine was just officially accepted with a good journal (and one of which some professors at schools that I applied to and haven't heard from are on the advisory board for). Should I notify schools of this, or would it be annoying?

I would send an updated CV to the grad. sec.

Edited by bakedalaska

I had a major change to my application and notified departments. Some got mad and told me applications could not be changed after they were submitted and shame on me for trying. 

Edited by AquinasDuo

new to the board, heres some info:

admitted w/funding @ OSU, UCI (LPS), UMiami, UC Davis, CMU (masters)

declined CMU b/c it was masters.

waitlisted @ Notre Dame

waiting on: Columbia, Harvard, CUNY, UMich, Storrs

aoi: phil of math, phil of lang, logic

phil and math double major undergrad gpa 3.8 @ ivy

questions welcomed good luck errbody

I had a major change to my application and notified departments. Some got mad and told me applications could not be changed after they were submitted and shame on me for trying. 

That's insane! What was the change? I can't believe this process...

Wow that's just stubbornly stupid.

Hey, cool.  I just remembered that there are only 28 days in February.  So that means tomorrow is March.  That is totally like 2 less days we will spend waiting, compared to if this had been another month.  I mean, imagine if it was a leap year.  Erm...something to be thankful for, right folks?

Wow that's just stubbornly stupid.

I don't know. I've seen first hand what kind of work these people do--know how we're all at our wits' end? Yeah, well multiply your anxiety by two hundred people. The guy at our office read me (anonymously, of course!) just a small sample of the kinds of e-mails they get every day: "Can you change my file?  What if this part of my application is late? Why do you still have a paper application; it's ridiculous! I only have two letters of recommendation--how will that hurt my chances?" 

Individually, these kinds of requests/questions/etc. wouldn't be a big deal. But those folks get hundreds and hundreds of those emails. When do you think you'll make a decision? Have you made a decision? Can you tell me your decision? 

So I understand why they said "shame on you"; you turned in your application--once it's in, you're locked and loaded. They know you might go to conferences and write interesting papers and meet interesting people between December and April--but for the sake of paperwork, what's done is done.