real odds for 2nd wave?

mightymouse

I don't know about anyone else, but watching people getting interview invites, phone interviews, and POI contact from some of the universities I applied to is like taking one to the gut. My assumption is that first wave invites will be the most likely to get accepted. So, clearly, I keep wondering about the odds for second wavers. Anyone have any input, data, or experience related to whether second wavers have a shot?? 

Applied to: UNC chapel hill, University of Toledo, University of Cincinnati, Georgia State, Eastern Mich, WUSTL

Invites: none yet... 

rejections: ...

Accepted: ...

I would think how early or late you receive an invitation is irrelevant to your chances of admission. Those who get the earliest invitations may have submitted their app way before the deadline.

FWIW, UNC's clinical area says that invitations will go out on January 25 for an interview day on February 8.

I don't know, but from what I've heard, if you don't hear anything by the first wave you're either rejected or put on a waitlist. Though on the other hand, I've also heard of people getting accepted REALLY late in the semester, so I may be wrong.

You could always contact your POI(s) and ask if those are only invites that will be sent out, or if you have any chance at acceptance after the first wave. I'm sure this varies from program to program.

The part that really gets me is when, for example, UNC chapel hill says all invites will be sent the 25th but on the results page I've seen a hand full of people contacted by POI's for phone/skype interviews as well as actual invites. It's just so nerve wracking. I wish they'd just set dates for results and have everyone find out the same day to spare my blood pressure. 

Waitlists do happen, and you may not find out you've been wait-listed until after interview invites go out. People do get accepted off of wait-lists, but it's not as common. Have you applied to any Master's programs?

Yes, 4 masters programs so far (Brenau, Augusta, georgia state, and university of Toledo). What I meant by first wave was people who were contacted for interviews before the mass emails for invites (like at UNC) and those who were emailed or called by POIs. I know wait lists are a long shot, but i was referring to those who are contacted with the rest of the herd as opposed to those lucky early birds.

The part that really gets me is when, for example, UNC chapel hill says all invites will be sent the 25th but on the results page I've seen a hand full of people contacted by POI's for phone/skype interviews as well as actual invites. It's just so nerve wracking. I wish they'd just set dates for results and have everyone find out the same day to spare my blood pressure. 

I know!! I'm in the same situation for 3/4 of my schools. I know I'm not a great candidate so my hopes aren't that high, but there is the possibility they're looking through applications throughout that cycle.

Edited by Khani