Harvard Kennedy School Admissions

pete-mc

Hi PJM,

Not quite sure what you mean! I was waitlisted, which means I got a rather nice email explaining that they would have admitted me if only there had been more spots. (Take that with as large a grain of salt as you wish.) The email went on to explain that the waitlist is quite hard to predict: sometimes they admit a good chunk of people off the list, and sometimes they don't take anyone. It all depends on the initial yield. I did appreciate that HKS was very upfront regarding the gamble of relying on the waitlist. They stated that the earliest wait listed folks could expect a response would be May. Consequently, they encouraged waitlisted applicants to accept other offers if we found them appealing.

I was exactly expecting the same as time is tight for the mason...hopefully by Friday It will be out.

Do you know if HKS is giving out travel vouchers to attend admit day? I find it cool that Chicago Harris incentivizes admits with $250. Its not much (especially if you're international), but better than nothing.

One more thing: the waitlist is not ranked (at least not officially). The admissions committee is going to be using the waitlist to replace "holes" in the class as people decline offers. So if they are turned down by Suzy Q Sunshine, the crusading human rights activist with a deep interest in alpacas and labor relations, chances are the committee will be looking for a similar profile off the waitlist (as opposed to, say, an ex-banker interested in international policy).

One more thing: the waitlist is not ranked (at least not officially). The admissions committee is going to be using the waitlist to replace "holes" in the class as people decline offers. So if they are turned down by Suzy Q Sunshine, the crusading human rights activist with a deep interest in alpacas and labor relations, chances are the committee will be looking for a similar profile off the waitlist (as opposed to, say, an ex-banker interested in international policy).

Thanks for the feedback. Was there any mention of a background check? I read that b-schools are now making their offers conditional of passing such a check, i.e. HBS, MIT Sloan, Wharton etc.

Thanks for the feedback. Was there any mention of a background check? I read that b-schools are now making their offers conditional of passing such a check, i.e. HBS, MIT Sloan, Wharton etc.
No mention of a background check in my email. Might be different for an acceptance email!

@ admits: can you already see the "new admit" tab in sparks? just curious..

in the past it was reported that it either showed before admissions decisons were sent out or way after admissions decisions were sent out.

wondering if they fixed that

B-schools use a security service called kroll to verify the background info of admitted applicants. It's pretty basic: college, gpa, gmat, recommenders, companies worked at, dates of employment, job titles.

Can you share some data/background on yourself with us?

Sure. I'm on the younger side of the applicant pool--graduated from a top liberal arts school in 2011 with major in economics, minor in Russian.. worked with a foreign policy think tank in Washington DC for nearly two years where I published in a book and wrote several articles, helped some publications while in college as well..blogged for the WSJ for a year and held several leadership positions in college and after...  now I'm working with the government. Didn't do  well on GRE--158 Q+V 5.0AW but I absolutely detest standardized testing and provided an explanation...my grades were great though and lots of quant so that may have helped. Plus I've published quite a bit for my age. I think my recs and essays really did the job. Honestly, I'm shocked I got accepted though and didn't even bother applying for all fin aid options thinking HKS application fee was going to be a donation to the school from my sad bank account. 

Now, I'm regretting not applying to all HKS funding options (got really tied up at work and couldn't get my act together) and have been offered no aid at SAIS (which was my top choice)...Fletcher offered me 20k/year but I may not even be able to afford that...WWS is my last hope now..

I have a lot of decisions to make about loans and such. But I'm an international student so if I can't pay back in $$ my life will be hell. That's my dilemma. I was fortunate to have a fully funded undergraduate education but just can't think of 100 k loans...

Edited by intlrlns

Sure. I'm on the younger side of the applicant pool--graduated from a top liberal arts school in 2011 with major in economics, minor in Russian.. worked with a foreign policy think tank in Washington DC for nearly two years where I published in a book and wrote several articles, helped some publications while in college as well... and now I'm working with the government. Didn't do  well on GRE--158 Q+V 5.0AW but I absolutely detest standardized testing and provided an explanation...my grades were great though and lots of quant so that may have helped. Plus I've published quite a bit for my age. I think my recs and essays really did the job. Honestly, I'm shocked I got accepted though and didn't even bother applying for all fin aid options thinking HKS application fee was going to be a donation to the school from my sad bank account. 

Now, I'm regretting not applying to all HKS funding options (got really tied up at work and couldn't get my act together) and have been offered no aid at SAIS (which was my top choice)...Fletcher offered me 20k/year but I may not even be able to afford that...WWS is my last hope now..

I have a lot of decisions to make about loans and such. But I'm an international student so if I can't pay back in $$ my life will be hell. That's my dilemma. I was fortunate to have a fully funded undergraduate education but just can't think of 100 k loans...

If you get in at WWS (you'll know tomorrow or Friday for sure), then its a full ride. I assume you will then turn down HKS, SAIS, etc. in favor of WWS?

Congrats! Do you mind providing your stats and background?

@ Soapwater: Thanks!  And no problem.  I had just under a 3.6 undergrad GPA from a Top 50 private school.  Q: 162, V:166, AW: 4.5.  About four years in the military after college, which played into my SOP.  Very strong letters of recommendation (at least they read that way to me when my recommenders sent me a copy after loading them to the website).

@ Tom-MPP: The tab is there for me.

Also, nothing on a background check, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ran a credit check and police records check.  Seems like that would just make sense- and if you were just young and dumb when something happened then it can easily be explained if they ask you about it.

@ Soapwater: Thanks!  And no problem.  I had just under a 3.6 undergrad GPA from a Top 50 private school.  Q: 162, V:166, AW: 4.5.  About four years in the military after college, which played into my SOP.  Very strong letters of recommendation (at least they read that way to me when my recommenders sent me a copy after loading them to the website).

Also, nothing on a background check, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ran a credit check and police records check.  Seems like that would just make sense- and if you were just young and dumb when something happened then it can easily be explained if they ask you about it.

Congrats on your admissions! Is HKS your top choice? Will you attend admit day?

You may have read that admissions sometimes suggests to switch candidates to another program. In your case, you may have also been a good fit for the MPA2. Did they offer you that, or did you not click that optional box when you applied?

congratulations, you got in !! hehe

i wonder what kind of info do they have in the new admit tab? and they said that there is sth like a forum or board for admits, is that right?

I would love to see the acceptance email you received. I've never seen a Harvard admission note. Could you post it here for us anxiously waiting HKS hopefuls? Of course without any confidential content that you may wish to remove.

Obviously, Rugger and other admits, please feel free to contribute.

Edited by PJM

Congrats on your admissions! Is HKS your top choice? Will you attend admit day?

You may have read that admissions sometimes suggests to switch candidates to another program. In your case, you may have also been a good fit for the MPA2. Did they offer you that, or did you not click that optional box when you applied?

Thanks! At the moment it is, but in April I'll be taking a step back to look at the finances.  Also getting an even better feel for the programs I'm weighing at their admitted students days will help, so I will be going to Harvard's (kayak.com here I come!).  

I did not apply to the MPA2 program.  I have not taken any graduate level coursework, and felt I did not quite meet their definition of established professional.  I honestly don't remember an optional box relating to it, so I likely did not click it.

@Tom-MPP:  They have a link to the forum for admitted students that has been talked about elsewhere, and the standard stuff that other schools have had on sites they link you to after admission: info on the admitted students day, how to submit your deposit, various deadlines, etc.

Edited by Rugger

If you get in at WWS (you'll know tomorrow or Friday for sure), then its a full ride. I assume you will then turn down HKS, SAIS, etc. in favor of WWS?

yes, no questions asked I would :) So nervous though! 

Thanks! At the moment it is, but in April I'll be taking a step back to look at the finances.  Also getting an even better feel for the programs I'm weighing at their admitted students days will help, so I will be going to Harvard's (kayak.com here I come!).

Are you paying fully yourself for the trip, accomodation, etc.? If you attend a few of admit days it may set you back financially a bit.

@Tom-MPP:  They have a link to the forum for admitted students that has been talked about elsewhere, and the standard stuff that other schools have had on sites they link you to after admission: info on the admitted students day, how to submit your deposit, various deadlines, etc.

just wondering, how much is the deposit? does the admit day sound exciting (special guests and so on)?

am sure there is already some eager admits trying to setup a flat share and all that :)

I would love to see the acceptance email you received. I've never seen a Harvard admission note. Could you post it here for us anxiously waiting HKS hopefuls? Of course without any confidential content that you may wish to remove.

Obviously, Rugger and other admits, please feel free to contribute.

Just sent you a PM. I don't want the Harvard brand name to sway me though. 

Are you paying fully yourself for the trip, accomodation, etc.? If you attend a few of admit days it may set you back financially a bit.

I will be paying for the flights and trains between cities, but I also have friends scattered throughout Boston, NY (even with a reject from SIPA, I'll probably still go pester my friends there), Chicago, and DC.  I don't plan on having to pay for a place to stay during the whole time I'm on the east coast and I have a few vacation days saved up- so I'll be treating it more like a mini-vacation in that respect.  A chance to see the cities and spend time with old friends in addition to getting a chance to visit the schools before I make a final decision on where my time, money, and effort will be spent for the next two years.  

Tom-MPP: Deposit is in the standard range that I've seen from other schools, nothing crazy.  And no details on guest speakers, so we'll see what happens.

I was scared away from WWS because of my quant score... didn't even bother applying. Is it not as quant heavy for their MPA?

I didn't have stellar GRE scores and got into HKS as well..158 for both Q and V...but that's jsut because I hate standardized testing (do not mean to sound like a whiny kid who hates tests. I'm just not cut out for these types of exams and probably didn't put in as much effort as I could have given my stressful job). I had solid quant and writing in college and at work and I proved that in my application. Do not let other people's stats put you off. Trust me, I didn't think I would get in after looking at all the stats of students admitted in the past. Or their website of current students. Don't let your confidence take a hit.In the end we all have individual stories and you cannot replicate someone else's success by becoming that person.

Edited by intlrlns

Just sent you a PM. I don't want the Harvard brand name to sway me though. 

Thanks a lot, appreciate it. This is like the longest message from a school I've seen. They are really keen on having those come that they admit.

The previous admissions director (Burke or so, I believe) once sent out a note that TOO many had decided to enroll, asking people to consider deferring, isnt that something? -> MIT Sloan did same for this incoming MBA class..

Edited by PJM