Harvard Kennedy School Admissions

pete-mc

I received an e-mail saying that my application is complete, and now I only have to wait. You can check it up on the Sparks website.

They haven't provided any information on the number of applicants, other than a map specifying the origin of the current applicants, which is basically the whole world except for a few usual suspects.

Recently, my hopes for acceptance have been very low. I'm starting to wonder why I even applied there.

Hi, I applied to HKS. Has anyone already heard from admissions about their status?

Does anyone know how many people applied this year? There is little info on their website or blog regarding any stats.

Are you applying to mba programs as well?

- Alf, how many years of work experience do you have? Did you take the GRE or GMAT? May I ask what score you got?

A friend of mine applied to the MPP and from what I know they are obsessed with high test scores (unless you qualify as minority).

- Revolution, do you know the % rate for MC/MPA and Mason admissions? Anything official?

I applied also for MBA programs (not joint degree), but will choose which one to attend (MPA vs. MBA) after admissions.

Sure blackfish, I have 4 years of very relevant WE, 164Q/160V on the GRE and 111 on TOEFL.

My scores are not stellar, but I think I may stand a chance. I also believe my statement is very good and my LoRs are probably the strongest part of my application (a Nobel Peace Prize ex-HKS lecturer included). The huge problem (and what I think may exclude me from consideration) is my 3.4 GPA.

Edited by alf10087

- Alf, how many years of work experience do you have? Did you take the GRE or GMAT? May I ask what score you got?

A friend of mine applied to the MPP and from what I know they are obsessed with high test scores (unless you qualify as minority).

- Revolution, do you know the % rate for MC/MPA and Mason admissions? Anything official?

I applied also for MBA programs (not joint degree), but will choose which one to attend (MPA vs. MBA) after admissions.

Which mba programs are you applying to?

I think mc/mpa and masons have like 50% acceptance rates. They're very high.

I applied to Insead and IMD, so European programs only, as they are 1 year.

Do you have a source confirming the MC/MPA admissions rate?

HKS does not conduct interviews, but I read that they do on occasion. Any ideas on that?

How many people apply to the MC/MPA? They published some maps of countries represented, but no stats.

Hi folks, 

Do you have any idea about what's going on in the admissions office right now? 

My Sparks Account seems complete, but I haven't received an email from the office stating that it is complete. Have you received such an email?

Thanks. Wish all good luck!

As far as i know they don't send out updates. I got an email saying my application was incomplete, sent them what they wanted, and it updated on sparks and I didn't get another email, so don't sweat it.

I'm applying for MC/MPA as part of a fellowship program, btw. What's everyone applying for?

Hi folks, 

Do you have any idea about what's going on in the admissions office right now? 

My Sparks Account seems complete, but I haven't received an email from the office stating that it is complete. Have you received such an email?

Thanks. Wish all good luck!

I think atleast 1,300 combined is fine. Then they look into your work experience and academic preparation. Your SOP must be aligned. If you have these elements, you are in good shape. Good luck.

Thank you, yhakak. I applied to MPP Program.

As far as i know they don't send out updates. I got an email saying my application was incomplete, sent them what they wanted, and it updated on sparks and I didn't get another email, so don't sweat it.

I'm applying for MC/MPA as part of a fellowship program, btw. What's everyone applying for?

Hi plenum123, 

Do you think that 1300 GRE Score works for international students, as well? 

My Quantitative Score is 800, but my Verbal is 450. I had 4.5 from Writing. What do you think? Thank you. 

I think atleast 1,300 combined is fine. Then they look into your work experience and academic preparation. Your SOP must be aligned. If you have these elements, you are in good shape. Good luck.

Edited by destine

Hi plenum123, 

Do you think that 1300 GRE Score works for international students, as well? 

My Quantitative Score is 800, but my Verbal is 450. I had 4.5 from Writing. What do you think? Thank you. 

This is an unknown factor. And that's why they require international students to submit TOEFL in addition to GRE. But definitely 450

will red flag them, keep in mind that you are competing against international students around the world who normally are good in

Quan part and definitely have a better score on verbal than yours. But luckily, they will not use GRE to solely judge your credibility.

Edited by plenum123

Hi, I applied to HKS. Has anyone already heard from admissions about their status?

Does anyone know how many people applied this year? There is little info on their website or blog regarding any stats.

There were around 1,729 applicants the previous years. That year I believe they required policy memo too. However, there's only 1 SOP + optional essay this academic year. This would attract applicants all around to try their luck which will significantly increase number of applicants. I 'd say the number would be around  2,000-2600 apps with 18-20% % admission rate. 

Does anyone know if it is easier to get into HBS's MBA program once you are at the Kennedy School's MC/MPA program?

I've read stories where MPP students successfully got into the Harvard Law or Yale Law's JD program.

No it won't be any easier. HKS, although a top MPP/MPA program, is nowhere near the level of HBS and HLS. Usually it is the opposite way around where YLS and HLS Law students come into HKS without breaking a sweat. Law school admissions only looks at your GPA/LSAT, and the business school has no incentive to admit HKS students since it is the more prestigious program.

FYI I am doing the dual degree program with HKS and one of the law schools you mentioned. 

Edited by adollarninetynine

Does anyone know if it is easier to get into HBS's MBA program once you are at the Kennedy School's MC/MPA program?

I've read stories where MPP students successfully got into the Harvard Law or Yale Law's JD program.

If you have GMAT 700 up ,solid essays and relevant WE it's doable. But MBA candidates seem to have more competitive work experiences with big name companies which allow them to elaborate their stories in essays much better and easier. While MPP/MPA line of work is very flat. You will be competing with engineers, finance folks, and other fields. But Law school is very straight forward. GPA x LSAT. It is true that MPP program is much easier to get in. Even Johnson school at Cornell is tougher to get accepted than HKS by comparing admitting rates. Plus, you can not dual with HBS unless you apply at the same application cycle. And no, they are not smarter than you, you just need to find your theme to properly answer WHY MBA WHY NOW and be sharp during an interview (if you get invited)

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not military experience plays a role in admission to the MC/MPA program?

I spent six years on active duty, with two tours in Afghanistan and one in Iraq before going to ungrad (which I did while working full time).  Since separation from the military I have been working for federally funded research and development centers (MIT).

I have 14 years or experience in goverment work, but am concerned that my age will limit my chances of admission; I am only 31.

Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I would assume active military service would be a plus. Question, though, if you have 14 years of experience and you're only 31, that would mean your experience started at 17? So that means 14 years of experience including in the army?

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not military experience plays a role in admission to the MC/MPA program?

I spent six years on active duty, with two tours in Afghanistan and one in Iraq before going to ungrad (which I did while working full time).  Since separation from the military I have been working for federally funded research and development centers (MIT).

I have 14 years or experience in goverment work, but am concerned that my age will limit my chances of admission; I am only 31.

Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!