Harvard Kennedy School Admissions

pete-mc

Admitted !! Just got my admissions letter by email :)

Are you trolling? Has anyone else heard anything?

Edit: Added second question.

Edited by Kadisha

lol no you didn't kid

I have a distinct feeling that you may be spying in the forum on behalf of admissions.

Why don't they send someone official here instead of resorting to a student?

Yes just got the email this morning. Am still in complete shock and awe !! Good luck everyone else.

From the Harvard Admissions Blog

Some readers, but likely not all, might be familiar with the expression, “March roars in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.” At present I can state that I almost feel as if a lion is chasing me. Admissions Committees are meeting, papers are flying around, spreadsheets are being exchanged, emails are going back and forth, decision letters are being revised, budgets are being reviewed, and candidates are being ranked. I run from one meeting to the next and pepper those in my office with data requests.  Decisions will go out this month, but I am not so sure March will go out like a lamb as we will be busy preparing for our New Admit Days.  New Admit Day for our MPP, MPA2, and MC/MPA programs will be on April 5th.  The MPA/ID New Admit Day will be on April 8th.

Inconsistency here.

Edited by Kadisha

At 7:49 AM EST on a Monday? Not likely. Definitely a troll.

I've called admissions to confirm. You're welcome to do the same. I thought others would congratulate me but instead am sensing the opposite here.

Sorry if my post troubled others. Am sure you'll get your letters too sometime soon..

I've called admissions to confirm. You're welcome to do the same. I thought others would congratulate me but instead am sensing the opposite here.

Sorry if my post troubled others. Am sure you'll get your letters too sometime soon..

They'd announce on the blog the day they release decisions for each program, just like last year. The blog post today indicates they haven't even finalized the decisions letters, ranked applicants, or finished meetings. Also, why would they send anything outside regular business hours? Just doesn't add up.

Don't get us wrong I believe everyone is happy  for you that you've been admitted provided that the news is true. 

With anonymity of the internet allowing people to get a kick out of the anxiousness of others you have to excuse our skepticism. 

Don't get us wrong I believe everyone is happy  for you that you've been admitted provided that the news is true. 

With anonymity of the internet allowing people to get a kick out of the anxiousness of others you have to excuse our skepticism. 

Yes. I'd be happy to eat my words once I see others who've been on this forum report something.

I'm terribly sorry, I'm new to this forum and just realized that I posted accidentally in the HKS forum instead of the Goldman forum.

I was admitted at Goldman, not HKS. Sorry folks for the confusion. Was overexcited and didn't check properly. Still good luck with HKS !!

I'm terribly sorry, I'm new to this forum and just realized that I posted accidentally in the HKS forum instead of the Goldman forum.

I was admitted at Goldman, not HKS. Sorry folks for the confusion. Was overexcited and didn't check properly. Still good luck with HKS !!

:angry:

And yet you still haven't posted to the Goldman thread. 

wow you guys are so easy to troll and trick it is ridiculous. 

Where was I trolled or tricked? I called it immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if it was you on an alt account.

Man, so many people on here are childish. If you have to resort to trolling a admissions forum, you took a few wrong steps along the way.

Tom-MPP was clearly a troll. He didnt get admitted to Goldman, he created his account today! Please mods, do something about these people.

He probably just made a silly mistake, can we please refrain of calling each other names for liking/hating a school, for making mistakes, for being a  current student and providing information? It just creates a toxic environment which is not the point of this forum at all but to inform ourselves.

I completely agree with Ethical Realist. I have many friends who graduated from HBS, and in my experience it is true that there is something of a perceived "hierarchy" among the schools. That said, I would attend HKS over HBS any day.

First, I WANT to be in the public sector. I left a highly prestigious job in private practice to join the public sector for a reason. I am ambitious and I want to be among the best in my field, but I will not relentlessly pursue achievements that do not mesh with what I ultimately want to accomplish in life. HKS is the best fit for what I want to do, and I would be thrilled to go there for the opportunities it would open up in the area where I want to be.

Second, I want the public sector oriented network that HKS offers. The people likely to look down on me for attending HKS are precisely the people who would look down on me for choosing a lower paying public sector job over a higher grossing job in finance, or the people who might have looked down on me for entering the public sector from a successful private practice career. I am fairly open to many ways of thinking, and this in itself does not phase me. Ironically, I am friends with many people who are likely to make such casual judgments; however, I find that any tendency they may have to condescend is quickly cast aside once they realize they are speaking with their intellectual equals. Being at HBS would help me meet many more people interested in the private sector; I am sure I would quite like them and make many friends, but the networks at HKS would simply be a better fit. Being at HKS would help me meet like-minded people who share similar goals and who are more likely to be in the types of professional circles that my future positions will involve.

HBS is a wonderful school, and I have no doubt I would want to go there if I had wanted to return to the private sector. However, for those of us who are certain of our desire to work in the public sector, HKS is the logical choice.

I completely agree with Ethical Realist. I have many friends who graduated from HBS, and in my experience it is true that there is something of a perceived "hierarchy" among the schools. That said, I would attend HKS over HBS any day.

First, I WANT to be in the public sector. I left a highly prestigious job in private practice to join the public sector for a reason. I am ambitious and I want to be among the best in my field, but I will not relentlessly pursue achievements that do not mesh with what I ultimately want to accomplish in life. HKS is the best fit for what I want to do, and I would be thrilled to go there for the opportunities it would open up in the area where I want to be.

Second, I want the public sector oriented network that HKS offers. The people likely to look down on me for attending HKS are precisely the people who would look down on me for choosing a lower paying public sector job over a higher grossing job in finance, or the people who might have looked down on me for entering the public sector from a successful private practice career. I am fairly open to many ways of thinking, and this in itself does not phase me. Ironically, I am friends with many people who are likely to make such casual judgments; however, I find that any tendency they may have to condescend is quickly cast aside once they realize they are speaking with their intellectual equals. Being at HBS would help me meet many more people interested in the private sector; I am sure I would quite like them and make many friends, but the networks at HKS would simply be a better fit. Being at HKS would help me meet like-minded people who share similar goals and who are more likely to be in the types of professional circles that my future positions will involve.

HBS is a wonderful school, and I have no doubt I would want to go there if I had wanted to return to the private sector. However, for those of us who are certain of our desire to work in the public sector, HKS is the logical choice.

I haven't seen enough conversation about the massive debt many HKS grads have after the program. Does this worry you at all? Sure it is a competitive school but an estimated $71,000 price tag (per year) just doesn't sound that appealing, especially if you have substantial scholarship money offered by other programs. WWS is the best and most attractive program in my opinion because its graduates finish the program debt free and in a much better position to actually commit to the public service jobs they covet so much because they aren't bound by the golden handcuffs. Absent one of the few merit aid scholarships HKS offers, many Kennedy School grads are finishing with debt burdens comparable to HBS grads (142K vs 174K over two years) who earn much more over the course of their careers and frequently get their pre-MBA employers to foot the bill for their degree. For most people, HKS just doesn't make financial sense and epitomizes the worst of the mad grab for prestigious sounding degrees.

Edited by vincehoward

I haven't seen enough conversation about the massive debt many HKS grads have after the program. Does this worry you at all? Sure it is a competitive school but an estimated $71,000 price tag (per year) just doesn't sound that appealing, especially if you have substantial scholarship money offered by other programs. WWS is the best and most attractive program in my opinion because its graduates finish the program debt free and in a much better position to actually commit to the public service jobs they covet so much because they aren't bound by the golden handcuffs. Absent one of the few merit aid scholarships HKS offers, many Kennedy School grads are finishing with debt burdens comparable to HBS grads (142K vs 174K over two years) who earn much more over the course of their careers and frequently get their pre-MBA employers to foot the bill for their degree. For most people, HKS just doesn't make financial sense and epitomizes the worst of the mad grab for prestigious sounding degrees.

This was discussed at length in the WWS thread. 

You make following arguments on HBS grads (compared to HKS grads):

"who earn much more over the course of their careers"

- yes, that's indeed true, but is entering HKS a means to earn a lot of money? HBS, yes, but HKS?

"frequently get their pre-MBA employers to foot the bill for their degree"

- yes, I heard that as well, but sometime in the early 2000's when MBAs were in high demand? It's not like that any more; last I heard an HBS grad tried to condition BCG to pay his tuition upon graduation to join them; they said no thanks

"HKS just doesn't make financial sense"

- yes, I agree, but should it? What about college?

"epitomizes the worst of the mad grab for prestigious sounding degrees"

- I would not generalize here; maybe for some MC/MPAs that's true; but a lot of the MPPs etc. are truly passionate about publi policy from what I've seen

Do you mind sharing with us what's your background and current status vis-a-vis PP/IR apps?