can a POI be too old?

iowaguy

Can a POI be "too old"?  I'm considering working with a POI who is in her mid/upper-60's.  Very good fit between our research interests...

But would her age concern you if you were in my shoes?  i.e. she might retire sometime during my 5 years of a PhD program (although she hasn't mentioned this and she is still taking on new PhD students), she might not be motivated to continue publishing as she gets later in life, might be harder to get a LOR from her down the road if she retires, etc.

Thoughts?  Thanks!

I can just say that two of my LOR's are semi-retired (emertius at their old universities and now heading up new departments/centers) and they have been the best, best, best persons for helping me in my career.  They comment bluntly on things, are very direct and straight, help me with decisions, are always willing to proof-read and network for me.  It has led me to believe that most professors who go into semi-retirement (and not full retirement) are extremely interested in helping their students get ahead by writing letters and networking for them. 

I definitely do not think that age is a factor here - look more towards whether they have applied for a new funding or projects later or whether they still go to conferences etc.  A better indicator of what lies ahead.  How are their old students fairing? It's good to look at that.

If you have a chance to visit, (discreetly!) ask her students if there are rumors about her retiring. You can also ask her point blank but I'd only do that after meeting her and sensing she was open to the question. I don't think upper 60s is too old, though.

A responsible prof would also normally tell you if they are planning to retire within the time you're there. When I was visiting schools for MSc degrees, there were some profs in their early 60s that were planning to retire within 5 years (and have emeritus status) and they talked to me about it. In Canada, the MSc and PhD degrees are separate and it's not uncommon for a student to change project, advisor, or even schools between MSc and PhD. Some profs said that they would be full-time while I'm on my MSc for sure, but if I was planning to stay for a PhD, I should know that they are reaching retirement age. Most of them did say that they would still advise me after retirement (as a prof emeritus) but some of them made it clear that they were only promising to work with me for the MSc!

So hopefully, the prof will bring it up themselves so you don't have to ask the awkward question. But if you have already met them face to face and are seriously considering them as a potential advisor if you accept the school's offer, you should try to bring it up in a phone or in-person conversation. Since it can be a pretty personal question, I wouldn't ask it unless you are seriously considering accepting that offer though!

60's? Eh, a spring chicken I say! My prospective adviser has already broken 80 :)

In Canada, the MSc and PhD degrees are separate and it's not uncommon for a student to change project, advisor, or even schools between MSc and PhD. Some profs said that they would be full-time while I'm on my MSc for sure, but if I was planning to stay for a PhD, I should know that they are reaching retirement age. Most of them did say that they would still advise me after retirement (as a prof emeritus) but some of them made it clear that they were only promising to work with me for the MSc!

Although it's possible to be advised by an emeritus professor, it might complicate things; if you think/know your advisor might retire during your studies, you should ask about procedures involving having an emeritus advisor. Some schools will not let an emeritus professor be the sole/main advisor on a dissertation, and having to add a second advisor at some point may lead to conflicts. It's at least something to keep in mind when applying, and making sure there is someone suitable who could take on this role. There are also the difficulties associated with having an advisor who is away some/most of the time but that's a more general worry that people with a very hands-off advisor face even if the advisor is very much still active in the department. It's probably going to be hard for the potential advisor to tell you exactly how they might support you after they retire, because I'm sure they don't have all the details figured out themselves; but it's worth asking about if you are seriously considering working with this person. I'm sure it's possible and may be very beneficial. I wouldn't dismiss the option without thoroughly investigating it first.

My experience was similar to TakeruK's. When I was contacting POIs, I had one that said something like "I am not taking any new students because I'm planning to retire in the next few years, but please feel free to ask me questions". It seems like an issue an older professor would be aware of. I'm not an expert, but if it doesn't come up before, it seems like something for you to bring up later in the process, when you've been made an offer or when it's likely you'll be made an offer. That way, it doesn't seem presumptuous. Consider asking a professor you trust about how to ask such questions. Good luck!

One POI I spoke with is planning on retiring in the next few years and was very upfront about it. He also said that he was still taking students until 2015, and the university would allow him to remain as the head of their committees until they graduate. You should just ask her about it. Or... You could also email the head of the department (if its not your POI) or a graduate assistant and ask if there is a possibilty she will be retiring and what her productivity is now. I have cooresponded with other professors in the department that aren't necessarily in my specific field and asked questions about the department.