Penn GSE

HigherEd2013

Does anyone know just how selected Penn GSE's higher ed admin M.Ed program is? I got in (with some funding) but I feel like I need to know it's selective to be validated. Haha. Graduate school problems!

Congrats!!!! I was wondering who got in today. Penn is a really competitive program for master's (we can't beat the 1% acceptance rate of the PhD kiddos). According to their blog, it seemed like last year was around a 25% acceptance rate for Higher Ed, probably lower because they posted before the end of the application season. You should be so proud! It's a fantastic program and from what I can tell, the professors are not only knowledgeable, accomplished, etc., but they seem really down to earth. At the very least, they have a remarkable online presence so it's easier to learn about their program :).

If I may ask, when did you get the email saying your ap was complete? I submitted mine a month ago as of late next week and am wondering how close to the "4 weeks decision" they are staying for Higher Ed.

Hi highered2013,

My app was complete on 1/3/2013... and my decision link appeared yesterday (2/8), though the Penn GSE email telling me my decision was ready came today! Good luck!

Thank you for the information! I'm hoping to hear back soon. Congratulations again!!!

Any reason in particular?

I learned my lesson this year. Apply way before Christmas break or apply afterwards. Applying right before adds a month of stress when little to no progress is being made on apps  :wacko:

It's just that it seems that they are running behind their 4 week notification and the later our "application complete" dates are, the later we will probably find out, in my opinion. That is just me guessing so I'm not anxiously refreshing my inbox once tomorrow comes :). I just assume that the closer we waited until the deadline, the more applications they will have to review, so it will take longer for us to find out.

Yeah, I submitted my app on 1/6 and I think I received the "complete" email 1/16 (the day after the deadline).

I don't know if this is still true, but I was looking at previous years of their admissions blog and they mentioned they update the system at 2 p.m. daily. So now I only check around that time, lol.

Sadly, my hope for the wait list has been extinguished - I got an official rejection from the PhD program. :( But, a few days later, I was admitted to one of their Master's program that I had applied to, so that's comforting! 

Edited by Minnow

Sadly, my hope for the wait list has been extinguished - I got an official rejection from the PhD program. :( But, a few days later, I was admitted to one of their Master's program that I had applied to, so that's comforting! 

Awww :(. But yay for getting accepted into master's! That's no easy task either.

Those of you with 1/15 or 1/16 completion dates.. can you post on here when you hear back? I'm getting pretty anxious. I hit my four weeks today!

Awww :(. But yay for getting accepted into master's! That's no easy task either.

Those of you with 1/15 or 1/16 completion dates.. can you post on here when you hear back? I'm getting pretty anxious. I hit my four weeks today!

Thanks! :) My completion date for the master's was 1/31, btw - but again, I applied to the PhD as well and heard back about that one first, and my apps for both were very similar. Also, I applied to the Language & Literacy M.S.Ed, not to Higher Ed.

Fingers crossed for you (and everyone else)!

Congrats on the acceptance, Minnow! That's great news. I agree with the comments that the longer we waited to submit the app, the more loosely the 4 week response time will apply. I submitted my app on 1/15 and got an email back saying it was complete and sent for review on 1/16 though, so who knows? I had been emailing Admissions with another question, and my heart skipped a beat when the person I was emailing with emailed me back and said funny story, I'm actually submitting your app right now. Eek! :o Sometimes I think the less you know about the process, the better, lol.

My application to the M.S.Ed  in Higher Education program was also marked complete on 1/17 and I haven't heard a decision back either even though we are at the 4-week mark.  Looks like the turnaround time is a little longer since we applied so close to the deadline.  Good luck to everyone!

Um, okay weird question. I seem to remember Penn opening a new facility recently, it had a lot of study space, I think it had something to do with interdisciplinary mingling, and I remember that it was very blue with a sort of '60s futuristic design ethic. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

note: There's a 10% chance I imagined this, and a 40% chance this is at a different school.

Um, okay weird question. I seem to remember Penn opening a new facility recently, it had a lot of study space, I think it had something to do with interdisciplinary mingling, and I remember that it was very blue with a sort of '60s futuristic design ethic. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

note: There's a 10% chance I imagined this, and a 40% chance this is at a different school.

Well my fiance is an senior undergrad at Penn so I spend a lot of time there, and I can't think of any such building. It seems like they're constantly building new things, but nothing that fits that description comes to mind at the moment.

Does anyone want to claim the Higher Ed acceptance yesterday? I didn't realize they could update status pages on weekends. :blink:

The Penn one? If so, that was my friend/coworker!