What do TAs do?

lightyears

Teach labs and grade papers? Is there anything else they do? I received funding at one school if I become a TA or RA. I don't think I'd make a very good teacher... Do you usually get to pick what you want to do?

My TA experience has been very hands-on (running seminars, holding office hours, helping students, grading), but I have friends in science programs whose TAships consist of only marking, no direct contact with students. Your discipline may help you out here. It's probably best to ask, though.

Just something to consider - you might change your mind once you get to grad school. I was worried about the possibility of having to teach when I applied to grad schools, because I don't think I have natural teaching skills, but now that I'm in grad school I'm looking forward to it. I still don't know if I'll be any good, but I'm looking forward to giving it my best shot.

I was a TA for one semester during undergrad (a freshman Intro to College Learning seminar with 25 students) and my duties were leading 2 lectures out of the semester, preparing exam questions, grading, and helping the students when they needed it, either by answering e-mails or meeting with them during office hours. There were also times when the professor would explain something and I had to provide an example from my undergraduate experience. I had a lot of fun. I would definitely find out what your TA duties would be before you make a decision.

The best way to learn something really well is to teach it.

I would strongly encourage you to give it a try, but to be open with your advisor or TA mentor about your reservations and ask for support when you need it.

I've been teaching for awhile now... so my current TA position was not so intimidating... but even so, it has been well worth doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, check with your school and your specific program. In my undergrad, grad students in the College of Music taught the basic music theory and sight singing classes (theory and composition grads), many of the music history sections (musicology grads), some of the non-major music classes (like Modern Popular Music) (ethnomusicology or musicology grads), private lessons (performance grads), etc.

Luckily, with Arts Administration, I'll be working in an office--though two of our assistantships are with the recital halls and as orchestra manager.

Depends. I had to grade exams and assignments, proctor and hold office hours. Duties vary and generally are dependent on specific professors and departments. I found it fun in a way so I would suggest give it a shot. Who knows you might like it. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a TA for four semesters. I had to grade papers and exams, proctor, sit in on classes, hold office hours for students, and little odds and ends. I've heard horror stories from other grads over the years about getting a mega workload dumped on them, but I was lucky to work for some great professors who made sure I didn't go over the prescribed number of hours.

If you hope to be a professor at some point in the future, it is a smart idea to get some teaching experience early. Don't worry - everyone flounders a bit in the beginning.

As a TA my first year I just graded exams and papers. By my second year I was also leading discussion section and filling in for the professor in lecture from time to time.

I've worked hard to gain as much teaching experience as possible because I'd like to end up at a small liberal arts college (SLAC) but even if you want to end up at a research university - they aren't going to want someone who can't teach their way out of a paper bag - especially when there are great researchers out there who are also good teachers.

Anyway, get started early as a TA if you can. As other posters have said, it helps you learn the material in a new way, gets you funding and gets you useful experience.

but even if you want to end up at a research university - they aren't going to want someone who can't teach their way out of a paper bag

My experience has been that they really couldn't care less how you teach and that is not important in the least to their hiring practices. They want you or not based on your research. If you happen to be a good teacher, that's excellent and they'll let you teach what you want, if you don't, they'll gently encourage you to only teach classes directly in your field to small groups of graduate students or upper division students. So if you're passionate about teaching you should be a good teacher, but don't always expect that to be relevant to getting a job at a research university.

This naturally varies widely between fields and specific universities.