Acceptance Freakout Thread

Not to seem totally neurotic, but where in the alphabet are the people who have heard from Vandy so far?  I'm trying to come up with any reason why I might not have gotten a rejection yet...  other than, y'know, the good one.

My last name is an H. It seemed to all happen at once, tough.

My last name is an H. It seemed to all happen at once, tough.

And I'm F and haven't heard yet. It seems to not be alphabetical?

Eta: I am about to start crying from nervous hope?

Edited by girl who wears glasses

I just say this, because I'm a T.  So near the end.  Ugh ugh.

I wear glasses too.  We have so much in common.  We'd make stellar colleagues!

Also, yes.  Almost crying from nervousness.  I need to get out of work, go to the gym, and have a nice dinner with some good red wine.

Edited by jrockford27

As someone who has been on the red end of Brown's Modern Culture and Media mass-killings before, I'd like to offer sympathies to the fallen Vanderbilt warriors. 

Heh, that was me last year.  I was pretty naive to think I could get in, my materials being what they were.  My app is a bit stronger this year and I decided to go for it again, since it's my dream program.

It's 45 minutes until the close of business in Nashville.  They've got to have sent out all the rejections by then, right, RIGHT?!

Edited by jrockford27

From looking at the boards from previous years, it looks like rejections went out on either one day or over a couple (?), but mostly on one day. It seems strange that they would do some on one day and some on another, unless it's like "cuts" and we won't find out the next round of cuts for a couple of days

It looks like Vanderbilt has kept a secret waitlist in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this again... we haven't seen any acceptances or real wait lists yet though, either, so if you've not rejected yet... well, yay.

Seems like there are too many of us here who haven't heard yet to assume that not hearing = in or waitlisted.  Statistically speaking.  Unless Vandy really loves grad cafe users!

I mean, it's a free app, so I imagine they get a ton.  Then again, we can put a man on the moon, I assume they can send out 580 rejections at once.

Edited by jrockford27

I'm sure my application was looked at for no more than 60 seconds. I really applied to Vandy, Duke, Chicago, and NYU just because I'm a masochist. I know realistically that these schools do not want me, but... but. but.

There were some people with pretty respectable GRE scores and GPAs in the bloodbath, so this wasn't just them discarding low numbers or anything.  But yeah, the most likely scenario is that if we don't hear, it's probably just initial cuts.

I wouldn't feel too bad, asleepawake.  I envy you, actually having at least one acceptance as you do! ha

Edited by jrockford27

I'm sure my application was looked at for no more than 60 seconds. I really applied to Vandy, Duke, Chicago, and NYU just because I'm a masochist. I know realistically that these schools do not want me, but... but. but.

Hey, if I've learned anything from this process, it's that we don't know.   And, you're awesome enough to already have an acceptance and fellowship in hand. I think that's impressive

Hey, if I've learned anything from this process, it's that we don't know.   And, you're awesome enough to already have an acceptance and fellowship in hand. I think that's impressive

This is true! I still have an obviously diminished chance compared to some. I just don't have the academic record for these schools unless they are REALLY impressed by my writing.

& thank you. :) My fellowship is just a nomination now, though... I'm up against people in other departments, and I feel like science folks will always win these kinds of things. But if I don't get it they will offer me the regular TA. I am very happy with it. 

I hope yours is coming soon! I don't think any of us can survive the wait much longer...