Acceptance Freakout Thread

To continue the two-day-long tradition of freaking you guys out, I think my anxiety is about to take over. I'm waiting on one of the schools that typically notifies pretty early. At least there's a significant time difference so I technically get the morning/afternoon off from being worried about it. This my brain knows that? Nope. 

Hey guys, another English grad school candidate here.

Apparently, I've decided that whining on the other thread on the "Waiting it out" subforum wasn't enough, so I decided to do it here too. I apologize in advance. :P

It won't be long for some places.  Judging from previous years, NYU and Northwestern will probably start notifying by next week or so...

This is killing me. I've applied to both. I feel like I'm dying right now.

I got that too and had the same reaction. They should really have "CALM DOWN! THIS IS NOT THE DECISION LETTER! PLEASE GO OUTSIDE AND GET SOME SUN INSTEAD OF STAYING BY YOUR COMPUTER ALL DAY" in the subject line.

I got that too and had the same reaction. They should really have "CALM DOWN! THIS IS NOT THE DECISION LETTER! PLEASE GO OUTSIDE AND GET SOME SUN INSTEAD OF STAYING BY YOUR COMPUTER ALL DAY" in the subject line.

But all I have is clouds and sub-zero temperatures! I have to be inside otherwise I'll die! 

Guys, it's 72 where I am. There was a light breeze and it was so chilly. BRRRRR.

Why do I want to leave my tropical paradise again?

if you're in the general vicinity that i suspect you're in, we should have some rain in the next few days to liven things up!

Received my first news of this cycle, and it was a rejection. Granted it was one of my earliest applications (and thus, did not have my strongest writing sample OR SOP), but I do wish the season could've started out otherwise! However, a dozen left to go, and all I really need is one. This is for film studies, so you English chaps can relax. I just post here often since it's a livelier thread.

Received my first news of this cycle, and it was a rejection. Granted it was one of my earliest applications (and thus, did not have my strongest writing sample OR SOP), but I do wish the season could've started out otherwise! However, a dozen left to go, and all I really need is one. This is for film studies, so you English chaps can relax. I just post here often since it's a livelier thread.

Sorry to hear this. I hope you hear good news soon!

Yuck! I'm sorry to hear this. It is too early for rejections to be going on! Unreal. I believe your acceptances are coming!

I feel you - my first news was a rejection too.

Sorry to hear about those rejections, Swagato and arglooblaha. There's still a ways to go, though, so here's hoping to good news in the future!

Meanwhile, I'm here to freak out about an acceptance, possibly TWO! AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

This morning, I got an acceptance letter from a lower-tier school that I applied to as sort of a back-up. While it isn't the most prestigious school, the location is great, and there are two excellent scholars in the two fields I work in there. No word on funding until late February. 

Tonight I got a fellowship nomination from another program! No word from the English department yet, but the application for the fellowship states that it is awarded in addition to the standard TA-ship. I'm going to assume that it means I'm accepted with a TA-ship (because, why not?).

ERMAHGERD!!!

Edited by HHEoS

Wow, congrats HHEoS!! Do you mind sharing which programs you've heard from?

Thanks, sebastiansteddy!

Sure. The only reason I didn't include them in the original post is because I found a Twitter account today that was @(myfullname), created in the last two weeks, that is a ridiculous Nicki Minaj shrine. I've been paranoid all day that someone is trying to mess with me because though my name rhymes with "Nicki Minaj", I've never found anyone else with my name on Google before. If any potential program is reading this: I am in no way affiliated with that page, and I'm not a Nicki Minaj fan in any way, shape, or form. 

Anyway, to answer your question: the program that mailed the acceptance letter is NIU. The one that nominated me for the fellowship is FSU.