Acceptance Freakout Thread

On my way to Rome from Paris, I decided to hop on airport wifi. First thing I did? Check my email of course! No news there. Second thing I did? Checked gradcafe! So happy to see this good news party. Congratulations to all who have heard back already!

Congrats.  I hope to hear something this week coming!  Today is my anniversary (18 years of marriage) so I owe it to myself to stop obsessing for a little while at least and enjoy myself.  Soooo no checking the website tonight, right?

Yes, it is! But my parents were married for 51 years, so that keeps it in perspective for me!  It is so good to hear that people are getting notifications.  I am so praying that my good news phone call/email/letter is on the way!

YOU GUYS, I just almost had a heart attack! I was perusing the results board and getting impatient about hearing back, and at that moment I got an e-mail from UT Austin's Comp Lit department. Turns out they just wanted to tell me that they never got my writing sample and to send it to them ASAP - although, of course, I had sent it back in October with all my other materials! Must have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Anyway, I hope that means they're reviewing apps right now!

You know, I've been handling this waiting period very patiently and maturely for over a month. I've really been able to distract myself with research and preparing for next semester... and then I decided to watch the third season of Glee (don't judge--it's a guilty pleasure) and there's an episode where everyone was getting admissions results for college and suddenly I was like ZOMG I MUST HAVE MY RESULTS NOOOOOWW!!

Has anyone else gone through these periods of brief but desperate impatience/anxiety? How did you get through them?

Force myself to read a minimum number of pages of the books I'm reading, each day. Since I have to understand to my satisfaction whatever I'm reading, this means that if, in distraction, I skim pages I inevitably have to go and re-read them. So it goes. 

I didn't. I just indulge in my neuroses, understanding that they will go away in about 6 weeks when all this is over. 

It doesn't help that I deal with kids applying to college every day.