Fall 2013 Season

hanbran

Just over a week til the big Ann Arbor "weekend"! Good luck to everyone else whom I'll be joining there - I hope you're a little less nervous than I am!

Thank you!! Still toying with the idea of sending a quick hello email to the graduate students before I go next week... but I'm worried about being annoying...

Good luck to you for any interviews/ application responses you have coming up!

Anyone want to claim one of the ND or Arizona MA results?

Edit: one too many definite articles.

I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone might have about the grad program at Arizona, since I'm currently attending. 

Edited by Pius Aeneas

No, but I've narrowed my choices down to direct-entry PhD programs. I've taken your profile pic to heart in the last few weeks, Conoscia Fati. "Esto placidus et Vergilium legito" indeed! The Aeneid is my go-to book in times like these. Anyone else reading anything to get your mind off things or prepare for visits/interviews?

I had this great idea to devote my spare time to reading everything I could find written by my POI ahead of my interview this weekend. Then I realized I have no spare time. This is problematic! :P Perhaps I should bring the Aeneid with me on the plane, though; I can see how it would be calming!

Visiting weekends are weird.  Some professors will ask question after question, while others will simply shoot the breeze with you during an "interview."  I have yet to figure out if there's a reason for this.  Perhaps some professors have already decided whose applications to support, or they have no say in admissions, or, maybe, they're mostly interested in personalities at that point in the game.  At any rate, be prepared for anything :P.

Visiting weekends are weird.  Some professors will ask question after question, while others will simply shoot the breeze with you during an "interview."  I have yet to figure out if there's a reason for this.  Perhaps some professors have already decided whose applications to support, or they have no say in admissions, or, maybe, they're mostly interested in personalities at that point in the game.  At any rate, be prepared for anything :P.

That's what I was told, about it being about personalities at this point. This worries me! Maybe I'm not a bad student but I could be a boring person! :P Hahaha

I'm sure that boring is better than obnoxious or insane :) ! I heard some great stories about past visiting students who were...not nice to be around.

Anyone heard anything from NYU and/or Rutgers?

Rutgers emailed me last week saying that two of my letters of recommendation hadn't come in, which I take to mean that they're looking over applications now.

Thanks for the replies!

Somebody posted an acceptance from Rutgers on the admissions results page, and I haven't heard anything.

So I guess I'll be taking Rutgers off my list.

Coincidentally, has everyone gotten into at least one school? I've applied to several schools for Classics and ancient history this year, but I did not get into any. Is anyone else in this situation, or know someone in this situation?

I'm just wondering what I should do now, try again next year in the next round of applications, or just use my college degree to try and do something else, and get a job? I'm considering all options now :)

Coincidentally, has everyone gotten into at least one school? I've applied to several schools for Classics and ancient history this year, but I did not get into any. Is anyone else in this situation, or know someone in this situation?

I'm just wondering what I should do now, try again next year in the next round of applications, or just use my college degree to try and do something else, and get a job? I'm considering all options now :)

Can you--either here or in a PM to me--describe your background and goals at greater length?  How much Latin and Greek have you had?  To which programs did you apply?  Is time and/or money an issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one know what the deal is with wait-lists? I got wait-listed at Tulane, but they're not telling me anything else and what my chances are. They said they're still waiting on funding, but I saw on the results page that two acceptances are already posted. So where does that leave me?

So why do they put people on wait-lists? And does anyone know what are the chances of getting accepted from the wait-list?

Thanks for the replies! Has anyone else from this website heard back from Tulane? Have you guys been wait-listed, or accepted?

Also, has anyone on this site heard back from Johns Hopkins? I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Last year, Johns Hopkins was among the latest responders, but the department apparently made offers secretly before sending out rejections, so I wouldn't wait for them.

Hey Nomothete, I emailed USC to ask, and they told me that I was rejected and that they had already sent out offers of admission. So you should just email them as well.

I'm just waiting on NYU and Tulane now. Has anyone at all heard anything back from these schools?