Fall 2013 Season

hanbran

I haven't heard anything. I only know one other person who's applied and she hasn't heard back either. Haven't seen any results posted. I guess they haven't met yet, or they haven't contacted many people about the status.

Has anyone heard from Columbia Classics (not Classical Studies)? There haven't been any reported admits/rejects, and its getting late for them. Then again, Stanford ran like a week or two behind, so who knows.

I haven't heard anything. I only know one other person who's applied and she hasn't heard back either. Haven't seen any results posted. I guess they haven't met yet, or they haven't contacted many people about the status.

There's one acceptance from UT-Austin on the results page from a few days ago.

Oh thanks! I just saw it. I haven't heard back anything from UT Austin, so I guess that's another program I can take off my list. :(

Wow I TOTALLY missed that one. Thanks for the head's up. Guess I'm not in there!

Sorry to hear about KCL, the UoL colleges between them have one of the best engineered masters programmes I've ever heard yet unfortunately they always struggle funding wise. Saying that, there are a number of scholarships so don't count yourself out yet, I know INTs hear back later on that front so don't worry.

I've yet to hear back at all, pretty sure by now I've been rejected and just waiting for the letters to come. 

Sorry to hear about KCL, the UoL colleges between them have one of the best engineered masters programmes I've ever heard yet unfortunately they always struggle funding wise. Saying that, there are a number of scholarships so don't count yourself out yet, I know INTs hear back later on that front so don't worry.

I've yet to hear back at all, pretty sure by now I've been rejected and just waiting for the letters to come. 

You might not have been; I know a few people who haven't heard back yet or have only just heard back as of yesterday and it's not because they've been rejected, it's just that all of their programs have taken this long to meet and start sending out responses. you never know. Good luck!

You might not have been; I know a few people who haven't heard back yet or have only just heard back as of yesterday and it's not because they've been rejected, it's just that all of their programs have taken this long to meet and start sending out responses. you never know. Good luck!

Gratias ago amice....we will see I suppose, I just can't help shake the feeling. But I pray you're right. :)

It's still early.  I think that only a few programs have finished with acceptances.  A lot of programs also wait until their offices of admission finish processing aid packages and whatnot before notifying applicants.

Edited by hanbran

Hahaha I just got admitted to a school for a program to which I didn't apply... cursing my undergraduate uni for not having an arch survey course... *shakes fist* I've at least been given the option of switching into it after a year.

Does anybody know whether Stanford uses a travel agency or reimburses?  I am trying to visit multiple institutions during my trip to the states, and using several different travel agencies has already been nightmarish. Any advice on this (multi-city plane fares for institutional visits) would be appreciated.

Hahaha I just got admitted to a school for a program to which I didn't apply... cursing my undergraduate uni for not having an arch survey course... *shakes fist* I've at least been given the option of switching into it after a year.

I'm not sure if that's a tremendous compliment or insult.

Does anybody know whether Stanford uses a travel agency or reimburses?  I am trying to visit multiple institutions during my trip to the states, and using several different travel agencies has already been nightmarish. Any advice on this (multi-city plane fares for institutional visits) would be appreciated.

Have you spoken to Stanford about your visit?  I can't imagine that anyone could be more helpful than their DGS.

I'm not sure if that's a tremendous compliment or insult.

Well, I don't blame them. It's true that it's a requirement for their program to have an undergrad survey course, and my field courses from last year are not enough to satisfy this. They do sometimes make exceptions. I suppose they're willing to make one for me so I can start off in a similar program (Ancient Civ, Religion, and Ethnicity) and take the necessary undergrad course in my first year. On the bright side, the course will likely be a breeze. But I'm not keen on the possibility of spending time during my MA doing a 1st or 2nd year level undergrad course that isn't a language class.

Have you asked if you could "test out" of the course somehow? Or maybe take a summer course somewhere?

That's  good question to ask, actually. Perhaps they'd let me do a summer course in Toronto at U of T to at least have it under my belt. I may inquire, but this is sort of my last choice on the list. I am not entirely worried about it... yet!

Are you doing anything to "prepare" for your recruitment visit, ciistai?

So far not much, although I plan to sort of write down beforehand what I really want to get out of that program and why I think it's a good fit for me. I feel like this is just as much an exercise for myself and my own understanding of my goals as it is preparation for the weekend. I'm also tracking down and re-reading a few recent articles written by my POI so I can go into my secondary interview with him without being at a loss for things to talk about and with an idea of what I'd like to know more about from him.

I was also given an email address at which I could contact the current students so I may introduce myself to them ahead of meeting them in Ann Arbor. I'm excited to get to meet them in person but it shouldn't hurt to send a quick hello in advance.

Otherwise I am really not sure what else I can possibly do. I guess I will just have to go there and be myself. I feel like the program is a very good fit for me and I will do what I can to convince them of this but ultimately the decision is theirs!

What about you?

I'm doing more or less the same things as you guys.  Rereading my application, and several works by the faculty, preparing to answer questions about my interests and how they might be fostered by the program.  Since I'll be there for a couple of days, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should send any emails.  I don't wanna create an unnecessary burden, but, just in case there are some people whom I might not get to meet while visiting, I am considering it.

Thoughts?

I'm doing more or less the same things as you guys.  Rereading my application, and several works by the faculty, preparing to answer questions about my interests and how they might be fostered by the program.  Since I'll be there for a couple of days, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should send any emails.  I don't wanna create an unnecessary burden, but, just in case there are some people whom I might not get to meet while visiting, I am considering it.

Thoughts?

I'm having the same conflict. I've drafted an email to send to the current students but I wonder what the point is if I'm going to be spending a few days with them in March. I feel like sending an email might give the impression that I'm a try-hard. In reality I am quite interested in getting their perspectives but I also don't want to be misinterpreted or to annoy anyone with my email. On the other hand, maybe emailing shows initiative? Maybe other people coming for an interview have also emailed?

I will be doing the Michigan weekend but have not emailed.  Talking with the graduate student weekend coordinators at the other institutions doing mid-March perspectives weekends, it's seemed like the grad students have had a lot on their plate (planning activities, pairing grad students to perspectives, and such).  But, I am not very proactive by nature, so...