Fall 2013 Season

hanbran

Hm, just saw this message posted on the UTexas Status Check thing... don't remember it being there last time I checked:

"Attention: Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review.

As soon as a decision is made on your application, it will be posted on this page, and you will be notified by email."

I guess they're meeting quite soon. Good luck to anyone who applied there, although I'm not sure any of the more frequent posters here have!

Hm, just saw this message posted on the UTexas Status Check thing... don't remember it being there last time I checked:

"Attention: Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review.

As soon as a decision is made on your application, it will be posted on this page, and you will be notified by email."

I guess they're meeting quite soon. Good luck to anyone who applied there, although I'm not sure any of the more frequent posters here have!

Thanks for the update, Ciistai! I applied to Texas and am also waiting.  I'm being really superstitious about checking the Status Check things on my applications, just afraid I'll see an outright rejection.  Makes no sense whatsoever--would a rejection email be any better?  At any rate, thanks for the info :)

Thanks for the update, Ciistai! I applied to Texas and am also waiting.  I'm being really superstitious about checking the Status Check things on my applications, just afraid I'll see an outright rejection.  Makes no sense whatsoever--would a rejection email be any better?  At any rate, thanks for the info :)

No problem, and good luck!! Hopefully we'll both get good news!

Even though I'm convinced none of my statuses will change to anything good before I get an e-mail from the department, I insist on checking the sites.  It's a bit cathartic.

And, on a certainly-not-related note, does anyone know if the Berkeley AHMA result is real?  I'm a little skeptical of an acceptance that gets the university's name wrong (and, well, maybe a little jealous, too).

Edited by kaloskagathos

Even though I'm convinced none of my statuses will change to anything good before I get an e-mail from the department, I insist on checking the sites.  It's a bit cathartic.

And, on a certainly-not-related note, does anyone know if the Berkeley AHMA result is real?  I'm a little skeptical of an acceptance that gets the university's name wrong (and, well, maybe a little jealous, too).

I don't see that one... maybe it was deleted?

(edit)

Actually, I found it, but it's from 2012?

Edited by rsmease

University Of California, Berkeley Classical Archaeology, PhD (F13) Accepted via Phone on 23 Jan 2013 A 23 Jan 2013

report spam

This Texas Girl is moving to California!!

I always search classic* and it pulls up Classics, Classical Studies, Classical Archaeology, etc. :)

University Of California, Berkeley Classical Archaeology, PhD (F13) Accepted via Phone on 23 Jan 2013 A 23 Jan 2013

report spam

This Texas Girl is moving to California!!

I always search classic* and it pulls up Classics, Classical Studies, Classical Archaeology, etc. :)

Oh, I meant this result (no "classic" in any field):

University Of Berkeley Ancient History And Mediterranean Archaeology, PhD (F13) Accepted via Phone on 26 Jan 2013 A 28 Jan 2013

At least last year, AHMA notified long after the Classics department, although I don't think it looks good.

Edited by kaloskagathos

I think the one kaloskagathos is talking about is the one I've quoted below, which gets the name for the Group (AMHA) at Berkeley wrong.  There's actually a program for Classical Archaeology at Berkeley that's seperate from the Group and, I believe, under the umbrella of the Classics Department (I've known people in both programs). I think the "Texas Girl" result  Conscia Fati quotes refers specifically to the non-Group Archaeology option. 

The 2013 result that appears to be for the Group comes up if you search "ancient" or "Mediterranean."  It won't come up under Classics or similar iterations.  It's as follows:

University Of Berkeley Ancient History And Mediterranean Archaeology, PhD (F13) Accepted via Phone on 26 Jan 2013 A 28 Jan 2013

Oh, I meant this result (no "classic" in any field):

University Of Berkeley Ancient History And Mediterranean Archaeology, PhD (F13) Accepted via Phone on 26 Jan 2013 A 28 Jan 2013

At least last year, AHMA notified long after the Classics department, although I don't think it looks good.

Oh! I didn't even think of searching for "ancient." Don't give up hope just yet, though! You never know if they stagger acceptances or if they might still be working on their wait list.

The program is AHMA: http://ahma.berkeley.edu/. This post is mine -- sorry for the "University of Berkeley" -- I had entered another university result on my phone, and it did a fun mismatch of "UC-Berkeley" and "University of"...

It is my understanding that there were two spots this year and that acceptances have been sent out. I do believe there is a wait-list?

The program is AHMA: http://ahma.berkeley.edu/. This post is mine -- sorry for the "University of Berkeley" -- I had entered another university result on my phone, and it did a fun mismatch of "UC-Berkeley" and "University of"...

It is my understanding that there were two spots this year and that acceptances have been sent out. I do believe there is a wait-list?

Oh my gosh, congratulations!  And thank you for saying it was yours.  Honestly, I just wanted to know for certain that it was real, so I can stop thinking about it.

Edited by kaloskagathos

Hey, no problem! I just noticed the University of Berkeley when you pointed it out. I really wish there was an edit feature...

Also, to add to the above, I'm a compulsive status checker. On the plus side, Florida State's web system updated before I was officially notified of acceptance/check account...

Congratulations!!

(Also out of curiosity, although we know it wasn't fake - why would anyone fake a result? I've seen people on other boards in the forum call out certain result submissions as fake but I cannot understand why anyone would do such a thing...)

Conscia Fati - I thought it was just APA changing the name, didn't know AIA would do it as well?

Ciistai, you're absolutely right. It is just APA that is considering the name change. http://apaclassics.org/index.php/apa_blog/apa_blog_entry/3948/

Thanks for the link! As a Canadian myself I see where the CAC is coming from when they say they don't like the idea of CANA.

I personally like American Classical Association but I know that will indeed be confusing between ACA and ACL. Maybe something that starts with Society or Institute is best.

To be perfectly honest I actually see the whole thing as unnecessary but I do understand their reasons behind the decision.

Edited by ciistai

I tend to agree with you -- I'm rather fond of the old fashioned American Philological Association. I do wonder if they will ever be able to agree upon a different name, though. I'm going to be a little sad if/when APA changes to something else.