Fall 2013 Season

hanbran

Got an email from the Director - he wants me to send in a paper I wrote in my third year. It's listed on my CV because I was given a departmental prize for it.

IPCAA is in my top two dream programs. This has just made me so nervous I might be physically ill. I guess this is neither a bad sign nor a good one.

Is it? I have no idea how to interpret that ahhh. I just feel like even though I applied to the program I was kind of resigned to the fact that I wouldn't get in but now this is giving me a stupid little spark of hope that I wasn't planning on having! Eek! I need to take my mind off of this... but at least we know now when they're meeting. I'd wondered if they already had.

If they hadn't been legitimately interested, they wouldn't have gone out of their way to ask.  Plus, they have soooo many applications to read, they definitely wouldn't add to their huge pile of reading if they didn't think that it could potentially be worth it.

Though, of course, it doesn't necessarily indicate that you're likely to be accepted.  

...Have I made things worse?

Not at all! I am being very realistic about this haha. I mean, I am assuming the worst! I'm pleased he's interested enough to ask for further details like that at any rate.

Not to put you guys more on edge, but Columbia's Classical Studies program has started making interview requests.  (Based on last year's dates, I think this might be a multiple-round process?)

Are we differentiating Classical Studies and Classics? Do they do so? I'm not aware of whether they have separate admissions committees. I believe they have separate directors.

I suppose that means more spots to fill and more funding. :)

PS. I'm pretty sure everyone was a long way over the edge long before your posted this.

Edited by rsmease

I think that it's very common for larger departments to stagger interview requests and even offers of admission, particularly those departments which offer various funding packages.

I would say it's more common for smaller departments (like the CLST program) to stagger, because they can only realistically accept two or three candidates per year, so they can't have more than a handful of standing offers at any given time. Larger programs would survive a year with a higher admittance rate than they were planning on, but with limited funding, you've gotta be careful.

I have no evidence to support this whatsoever. Just an educated guess.

I would say it's more common for smaller departments (like the CLST program) to stagger, because they can only realistically accept two or three candidates per year, so they can't have more than a handful of standing offers at any given time. Larger programs would survive a year with a higher admittance rate than they were planning on, but with limited funding, you've gotta be careful.

I have no evidence to support this whatsoever. Just an educated guess.

Now that I think about it, that comment was based mostly on the observation of history departments and their admissions practices.  Though it's probably not healthy to spend too much time thinking about it.

Now that I think about it, that comment was based mostly on the observation of history departments and their admissions practices.  Though it's probably not healthy to spend too much time thinking about it.

Especially on a Friday night. #mylife

Once, and only once, someone in my back-of-the-woods-but-famous-because-of-it's-football-team hometown thought that it meant I studied classic cars.

I just misspelled the APA's URL (I typed "apa.classics.org," instead of "apaclassics.org") and I was redirected to a website for buying and selling classic cars.

Which, incidentally, is probably a more lucrative profession than our would be one.

"Nec calidae citius decedunt corpore febres, | textilibus si in picturis ostroque rubenti | iacteris, quam si in plebeia veste cubandum est."