Interviews

socanth

This has just come up in the "waiting game" thread - thought it might be useful to have a thread specifically about it.  It would be great to hear from people who have had them in previous years, so we can get some idea of what they'll entail, and also from people in the application process at the moment in relation to what preparation you're doing for it!

The other question that came up are which schools interview and which don't, if anyone can speak to that.

None of my schools have formal interviews but I have had two campus visit / informal interviews already. Huge tip: make sure to read at least some of the work of faculty you'll be meeting and relevant questions. Take a notebook to take notes. You are kind of interviewing the school, too. figure out your advisor's advising style, whether or not your stipend is enough, when they expect you to TA, about student life, foreign language requirements and more.

They mostly asked me specific questions about my research, everyone had read my statement of purpose and some had read my writing sample. Yale straight up asked me which other schools I'm applying to and what my opinion is of them, and also why I chose not to apply to certain other schools.

Stanford interviews (according to a current graduate student there).

Northwestern has an "interview weekend" (according to the results page for 2012).

Duke obvi interviews.

Emory interviews (my friend missed the interview round last year).

WashU in STL interviews (same friend got an interview last year).

I was told by someone on grad cafe via PM that Yale does actually interview (but I think people sometimes blur the boundaries between being asked to Skype and chat about their application and there being a formal interview component)... my impression was that there was a sort of "interview round" though.  He described it as being fairly brutal and basically just said they spent the time picking apart weak points in his proposal.  Lovely. haha

Thanks socanth!!

Guys please gives university names and interview details if possible. I would consider any kind of chat or meeting with faculty, if requested by the university, dept or faculty as an interview.

As for me, there is no chance of visiting......

I'm interested in info on UCLA, Umich, NYU, Harvard, Columbia and UPenn

Thanks,

Last year U Chicago interviewed the finalists (though some of them got in without interview). U Michigan traditionally doesn't interview before providing admission, I heard. I think most of schools request skype call after the decision whether it is official or not...

I had a phone interview with University of Oregon this week. I am making a discipline shift from psychology to anthropology so a few of the questions I got were about that. I was asked about my past research (my undergrad thesis, my publications) and my plans about field work for my dissertation (what I want to do and where) but it was a relaxed conversation, not a picking apart or a grilling. The professor had read my CV, SOP and writing sample and we discussed all 3 over the course of the conversation.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and your tips - it is really useful. Regarding Yale, I seem to remember reading in their paper that they're no longer allowed to accept doctoral students without having talked to them first, so as you say there is definitely some form of interview. From last year, it seems to be a very different experience depending on your POI.

Hi HeadCold, I'm certainly interested!  Not sure whether all interview requests have gone out for Emory yet (one's listed from over a week ago now), but I have my fingers crossed that they haven't.  Any insight you had would be great to hear (either here or by PM :)).

Thanks!

I don't know if all of them are out yet, nor how many there'll be this year. I have no access to that kind of info, but I can share what the experience will be like. 

Format-wise it will be a PACKED schedule for 2 days. Last year we were put up in a hotel "on" campus (the whole compound is massive, but campus itself is small). On the first night there was no event planned since everyone arrived at different times. We each had a roommate of the same sex. The next morning we walked to the anthro building for a light breakfast and a short talk by the DGS and then immediately after got started with interviews. The night before, at the hotel, we were given a bag which had our individual itineraries and some brochures/etc. 

If you were cultural you interviewed with all the cultural professors, and vice versa if you were bio. Or a mix of both if you're bio-cultural. If you were bio you also got to request to visit the lab and/or other departments. I would recommend asking in advance of arriving to make sure since all the departments have their interviews around the same time. 

Each interview was about 25 mins long and in the office - one-on-one - with that professor. And they were back to back with about an hour break for lunch. So I had about 8 interviews that day; five in the morning and three after lunch I think. During lunch we got to meet with some of the other grad students and professors. 

After the interviews we walked back to the hotel or could roam campus and look at the libraries (there are 3 or 4; I just use 2) etc. 

In the evening some grad students came and drove us in batches over to one of the professors' homes for dinner. A LOT of people were there; past and present cohorts and all the professors. Bio and cultural were split into two dinners: so you went to the one you were best affiliated with. It was a mix and mingle kind of thing; be prepared to be CHATTY. Yes, you will be tired as **** but this is a good time to let the committee know your personality. And a good time to make friends with people you'll be working with (hopefully). 

The next morning we were taken by van on a driving tour of the city and area around school. Things we might be interested in, places to eat, good places to live etc. We got to ask our driver, also a grad student, about housing options such as cost of rent etc. 

We were driven back to the anthro building for lunch - again, more socializing with professors and other grad students. And then, we were free to leave. We walked back to the hotel, got packed and waited for the shuttle to be taken to the airport. 

Almost all meals were accommodated, except for dinner the first night, and breakfast the second morning. 

There's a new DGS this year so the format might be different, but you get the gist of the idea. If you have more questions, feel free to post them. :) 

I just got an email from a POI at Berkeley wanting to discuss my research project!

Any tips? I think I´m going to spend the next two days panicking, trying to read everything this guy´s written and make sure I can back up every single point of my application.

Anyone have tips for the Duke interview? I really have no idea what to expect. The email said it is scheduled to be a 15 min talk which doesn't sound like very much.

Did you get an interview for Duke Anthropology?

shockwave, I think you asked a question on another thread about Duke. My sense is that they have done the first round of interviews (they said they had fifteen candidates) and should decide next week. I don't know how they handle waitlists, etc., so I don't know if this is final or not. 

I am curious--OK, queasily, squirmingly curious--about the other Berkeley interview and whether that means Berkeley is only just starting up or what. Does anyone know if they do a full round of interviews or if they just interview some candidates? 

This ended up as just an informal chat with my POI, I'm sure they haven't gotten to a shortlist or anything, in fact when I got the email I was told they'd just started looking at applications and my POI wanted to discuss my research interests further. Don't think too much into it!

Edited by Platysaurus

Hey all, I had another phone interview today (same school, different professor) and was asked again to describe my idea for my masters project in some detail, both methodological and theoretic approached. Just wanted to let folks know they should probably be prepared to answer a question like this.

I just got an email from a POI at Berkeley wanting to discuss my research project!   Any tips? I think I´m going to spend the next two days panicking, trying to read everything this guy´s written and make sure I can back up every single point of my application.
Gotta ask, how did it go? And for those of us waiting to hear from Berkeley, did you happen to get a sense if this was something just your POI does, or if interviews/contact is something all accepted applicants should expect? Hope you got a good feeling from the conversation and it works out for you! *panicpanicpanic*

Informal interview with UPenn. Went really well. They already made their shortlists. Decisions should be made in the next two weeks, if anyone is interested. Doesn't seem like there are any Penn people this year on these threads.

Edited by PhDreams

Congrats on the interview, PhDreams!!!!!!! Best of luck on making the final cut (My fingers are crossed for you :D)! 

I've got a skype interview tomorrow, any advice? What kind of questions were you guys asked during these more informal phone/skype chats?

Informal interview with UPenn. Went really well. They already made their shortlists. Decisions should be made in the next two weeks, if anyone is interested. Doesn't seem like there are any Penn people this year on these threads.

Hi PhDreams,

I am not applying to Anthropology programs, but my girlfriend is, and she applied at UPenn. Since she categorically refuses to visit this forum, she asked me to keep her updated with any relevant news about her schools.

So, may I just ask if you had the impression this was an interview scheduled by your POI independently or rather everyone on the shortlist should have been contacted for interviews by now?

Thank you for the information, and best, best, best of luck with your applications!

Edited by RandomDood

Congrats on the interview, PhDreams!!!!!!! Best of luck on making the final cut (My fingers are crossed for you :D)! 

I've got a skype interview tomorrow, any advice? What kind of questions were you guys asked during these more informal phone/skype chats?

Thank you!!!!!!!! <3 Mine was an "informal interview." I was really just explaining by research more and my background. It wasn't one of those "i'm gonna rip you apart" interviews at all.

What are you doing now? What are somethings I should know about you? Why this school? Why this field? etc. Really informal. I also had a chance to ask questions about my POIs new projects. Overall, really great!!

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi!

sorry I dint check my email all weekend. I also got an email for interview. seems like u are the only other person who got it.

Since they said they may take as few as 5 and a max of 8 across the sub-fields...no wonder there aren't many others. I think they will take a max of 2 ppl with interests socio-cultural.

Fingers crossed...interview in a few hours!

Hi!

sorry I dint check my email all weekend. I also got an email for interview. seems like u are the only other person who got it.

Since they said they may take as few as 5 and a max of 8 across the sub-fields...no wonder there aren't many others. I think they will take a max of 2 ppl with interests socio-cultural.

Fingers crossed...interview in a few hours!

Gooooood luckkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!