Improve GRE Math Score?

lawgrad

I took the GRE and got a not too stellar math score = 600. I'm looking for resources beyond the Kaplan books/ETS math publication to help me improve my score. Number2.com is pretty good, but I need more practice problems/depth of explanation so I can really drill some of these concepts into my mind. Any suggestions? Online is preferred (can't afford a Kaplan/PrincRev prep course), books are okay too. Thanks!

Have you tied the GRE Math Workbooks that both Kaplan has?

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-GRE-Math-W ... 1427795045

I used the Kaplan GRE Math Workbook, and along with taking several practice tests was able to raise my score up 130 points. (as a disclaimer, I was a math major 16 years ago )

In one of their (Kaplan's) book, they also had a cut-out sheet of 100 topics for the quantitative test, you need to understand all of those concepts and can solve related problems without issues.

Also, take a look at this website -> http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/ ... /index.htm

There's a section on "Math Help" that covers much of the topics - especically in data analysis.

I also used the Kaplan math workbook for a couple hours every day for a month and upped my score in the 100+ range and I'm definitely not a math major. This workbook is a miracle worker. No joke. I honestly don't think I would have gotten into some of the programs I got into if I hadn't used this. I just wish they made a large series of them.

I third the motion to use Kaplan! I upped my score about 80 points and recommend it to anyone taking it. A friend of mine used Princeton Review and upon looking at it, it seemed easier than Kaplan's - basically if you're doing even moderately well on Kaplan's practice problems you have a great shot at getting a good score on the GRE!

Rather than going through a company like Kaplan or The Princeton Review to find a tutor, I recommend finding an independent tutor who has taken the GRE, done exceptionally well (like a Ph.D. student) and now works as a tutor. It is MUCH less expensive (think $40 vs. $140) and the quality is often better because they are tailoring everything to your strengths/weaknesses and not teaching a cookie cutter method/course. Perhaps I am biased because I AM a tutor, but that is my recommendation!

Thanks all. I just ordered the Kaplan book.

I have seen/used the WTAMU site -- it is excellent. But I need something with a bit more practice built in.

Tutoring may be in my cards depending on how the Kaplan book works out.

How about starting a math tutoring forum here? Some of us are from the science/math background and might actually do something of use while we lurk about here. So what I propose is make such a forum where people can ask GRE quant questions and concepts they have problems grasping and some of us can try to explain how we understand and apply them. I know that I'd surely be able to help. One concept every few days and you'll be ready to ace the quant in about 3months from now. Anybody for this?

liszt85, you would be my favorite person ever. I would definitely benefit. Thanks for the offer!

You're welcome, but nobody else seems to be keen. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have questions.

How about starting a math tutoring forum here? Some of us are from the science/math background and might actually do something of use while we lurk about here. So what I propose is make such a forum where people can ask GRE quant questions and concepts they have problems grasping and some of us can try to explain how we understand and apply them. I know that I'd surely be able to help. One concept every few days and you'll be ready to ace the quant in about 3months from now. Anybody for this?

I'd be happy to help as well if anyone is interested.

In terms of general GRE advice, when I took the GRE I just used The Princeton Review's general GRE book (Cracking the GRE), REA's general GRE book, and the following ETS materials:

GRE Enhanced Diagnostic Service

Practicing to take the GRE General Test

All of the free materials & tips available on ETS' website

I spent a few months prepping on and off (balanced with coursework, research, thesis writing, and school apps) and about a week just prior to the test cramming for Verbal and furiously practicing for Analytical Writing. I did all the 'official' tests and test questions I could get my hands on from ETS, and did a fair amount of the material in The Princeton Review and REA's books. I didn't really spend too much time prepping for Quant but I did minor in math so that may have helped..

liszt85 wrote:How about starting a math tutoring forum here? Some of us are from the science/math background and might actually do something of use while we lurk about here. So what I propose is make such a forum where people can ask GRE quant questions and concepts they have problems grasping and some of us can try to explain how we understand and apply them. I know that I'd surely be able to help. One concept every few days and you'll be ready to ace the quant in about 3months from now. Anybody for this?

I'd be happy to help as well if anyone is interested.

I'm also open to help :P I have some experience tutoring math, that could come handy for this purpose.... Also, I am now spending most of my time in this forum....