MS Admission Decisions, Biostatistics?

hari

Does anyone know the time frame for hearing back about MS decisions? I'm seeing a lot of PhD replies on the results board for biostatistics but I can't really figure out if decisions go out at the same time as PhD ones or if it happens kind of randomly. 

Thanks for the help!

It's more random, typically, though it varies by department. Masters applicants are usually reviewed as they come in, but there may be a longer delay between the actual admissions decision and notification because PhD notifications are often prioritized to ensure that admitted students have time to make arrangements to attend recruiting events in Jan-March.

I applied for Biostatistics MS at several programs. The first letter I got from Michigan was dated January 4th, but I received it on the 19th and I heard back from UNC and UW this week. It sounds like JH is in the process of reviewing applications because I received a couple of questions about my application via email. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on Harvard and Hopkins but based on combing past years results this week is the earliest I would expect to hear back. For the programs I have been accepted into I am waiting to hear about potential funding before I even begin to decide where I am going to go. Waiting sucks but I think this is a case of no news is good news, or at least not bad news, as spots will open up down the road. 

Fairly sure I saw a UCLA MS admit in the results page but I don't remember which day it was. 

In addition to Hopkins and Harvard, I applied to UMICH, UNC, and UW. UMICH has offered me funding so I anticipate declining UW. That's where I did my undergrad and I want to go somewhere new. I would prefer UNC to UMICH, but I still haven't gotten any communication from the department regarding my offer - only the graduate school.

In addition to Hopkins and Harvard, I applied to UMICH, UNC, and UW. UMICH has offered me funding so I anticipate declining UW. That's where I did my undergrad and I want to go somewhere new. I would prefer UNC to UMICH, but I still haven't gotten any communication from the department regarding my offer - only the graduate school.

When and how were you offered funding from UMich... And if you don't mind sharing, what are your credentials: GPA, GRE, research?

I ask because I applied to UMich PhD and was accepted to their fast track masters program. They said funding would be decided in early March and I'm trying to get an idea of my chance at getting it.

Edited by Noco7

I got a call last night at ~7:45 pacific and then they sent me an email with an attached copy of the funding offer letter. The prof called me after an adcom meeting. They didn't specify whether or not I will have an RA or TA position. 

I'm happy to share my stats, but I don't think that comparing credentials is all that helpful - we can't really compare LOR or SOP and I think that transcripts from different schools with different coursework are hard to compare by GPA. 

My undergrad GPA is 3.78 and I don't remember my GRE scores. I have 1.5 years of research experience in Theoretical/Computational Neuroscience. My undergrad degree is in Neurobiology but I also have a math minor and a qsci minor (applied stats classes for bio and ecology researchers). I think that one thing that makes me an attractive candidate for MS programs is the fact that I have a strong biology background (competitive undergrad degree and lots of honors science coursework) with enough math and stats coursework to suggest I can transition over to statistics work. 

I got a call last night at ~7:45 pacific and then they sent me an email with an attached copy of the funding offer letter. The prof called me after an adcom meeting. They didn't specify whether or not I will have an RA or TA position.    I'm happy to share my stats, but I don't think that comparing credentials is all that helpful - we can't really compare LOR or SOP and I think that transcripts from different schools with different coursework are hard to compare by GPA.    My undergrad GPA is 3.78 and I don't remember my GRE scores. I have 1.5 years of research experience in Theoretical/Computational Neuroscience. My undergrad degree is in Neurobiology but I also have a math minor and a qsci minor (applied stats classes for bio and ecology researchers). I think that one thing that makes me an attractive candidate for MS programs is the fact that I have a strong biology background (competitive undergrad degree and lots of honors science coursework) with enough math and stats coursework to suggest I can transition over to statistics work. 
Thanks for the response. It's interesting, Im also coming from a Biology degree and I'm transition to stats.... If I may ask a couple follow ups, how long ago did you get admitted and was their any indication about the number of students receiving funding offers?

Got into Columbia just now for Biostatistics MS. No mention of funding, but that's not really surprising to me. Pretty excited though, it's my first admission ! (:

They sent out acceptances today?  When did you apply for the record?

Haven't gotten anything.  Doesn't look good  :(

They sent out acceptances today?  When did you apply for the record?

Haven't gotten anything.  Doesn't look good  :(

My application was submitted through SOPHAS in mid-December. 

Thanks for the response. It's interesting, Im also coming from a Biology degree and I'm transition to stats.... If I may ask a couple follow ups, how long ago did you get admitted and was their any indication about the number of students receiving funding offers?

I applied the day before the deadline so I think December 14th. They didn't give me any information about how many funding offers they are going to make. 

Update for those waiting on Michigan. Got offered funding via postal mail, looks like about $2300 a month for two years. No indication on how many more offers will be made, and also seems like there will not be reimbursements for visit days (at least for the MS/PhD students anyway).

Update for those waiting on Michigan. Got offered funding via postal mail, looks like about $2300 a month for two years. No indication on how many more offers will be made, and also seems like there will not be reimbursements for visit days (at least for the MS/PhD students anyway).

Thanks for the update. Do you (or anybody else) know how students transition from their MS/PhD program to their PhD program (do students need to re-apply or just pass the qualifying exam)?  

Thanks for the update Shostakovich. I'll certainly be anxious when checking my mail the next few days, fingers crossed. 

Biostatdude, I emailed the department a few weeks ago with some questions similar to yours. I didn't get any stats on the number of MS/PhD students that actually make the transition to their PhD program, but I was told that MS students (even the ones on a "fast track") DO have to re-apply to the PhD program, but they are given preference/priority over other applicants.... Now, this next part, don't take what I say for fact, but it sounded as if a MS/PhD fast track student finished the MS coursework with satisfactory progress, it's more than likely they'd be accepted into the PhD department. 

Thanks for the update Shostakovich. I'll certainly be anxious when checking my mail the next few days, fingers crossed. 

Biostatdude, I emailed the department a few weeks ago with some questions similar to yours. I didn't get any stats on the number of MS/PhD students that actually make the transition to their PhD program, but I was told that MS students (even the ones on a "fast track") DO have to re-apply to the PhD program, but they are given preference/priority over other applicants.... Now, this next part, don't take what I say for fact, but it sounded as if a MS/PhD fast track student finished the MS coursework with satisfactory progress, it's more than likely they'd be accepted into the PhD department. 

Thank you for the info, Noco7. I too will be anxiously checking my mail the next few days... hope we both receive good news!