How many hours a day do you spend doing "academic" work?

shockwave

As an aspiring scholar and academic wonder how many hours a day do other people in my shoes spend doing academic related work.  This could be reading books/articles, writing papers, putting together bibliographies, doing research, learning language, etc.? 

I was wondering how many hours on a typical day did everyone do.

I think this does depend on discipline and your research, but here's my experience. 

In an average week I have about 1000 pages to read, 2 or 3 writing assignments (these are usually reaction papers or discussion notes), writing of other kinds (such as applications for grants/workshops/fellowships for the summer or for travel money etc; or drafts of my research proposal for my advisor or for a grant writing workshop). The writing amounts to about.... 10 - 12 pages a week, depending on what's going on. 

I'm not TAing or RAing so most of my day - everyday - is spent reading and writing generally. 

I'm going to hate...HATE myself for saying this, but a lot of what you're talking about doesn't become 'work' after awhile...it's basic instinct for me to go through journals in my spare time looking for interesting articles, or picking a book related to my work to read in my off time.

Time spent working though will depend a lot on where you are in your degree...well, expect to spend full-time hours (i.e., at least 40 hours/wk) working.

Course work will take up a lot of your time. I easily spend 8 hours outside of class doing readings and writings for my classes (I like to over prepare and read the suggestest literature, as I find it helps with my dissertation work too). Reading journals and literature is a task that will NEVER end - there's always new relevant literature being put out, so expect a normal task to be keeping on top of it.

Doing research- that depends on where you are in your program, but also if you have the opportunity to take on some outside projects! Then there's TA work too! I will often clock busy 12-13 hour days during the week, and then low key 8 hour days during the weekend. But I find a lot of the work i do doesn't feel like straining work!

In my program we were presented with statistics that demonstrated that assistant professors, associate professors and full professors all work a little more than 50 hours per week. It was suggested that we treat our PhD program like the job we hope to have one day and work just as hard/as many hours as faculty members.  I actually thought it was really great advice!   

Our program requires 50 hours a week (I'm still suspicious of the legality of that, but it is in writing at any rate), but I think most folks are putting in more like 60-65. Some weeks I hit 80+, but those are usually during field season or when taking classes. And I agree with Dal PhDer, I don't view the reading and proposal writing described above as my core work--those are important and required, but not part of the normal work day or the hours described above (ie not what constrains my schedule). I do a lot of my reading on the bus or train, and my weekends are more or less devoted to writing. I think the difference here could be that I'm in a physical science, and dealing with samples and instruments can eat up a lot of time without being particularly mentally straining. When I'm writing manuscripts for publication I do view that as my full time job, and the hours stay about the same. And clearly not all those hours are productive, as evidenced by my post here...

I'm in my second year of my PhD, and I refuse to put in more than 40 hours a week. I treat school as a job, and am on campus or in my office 8 hours a day, M-F. While this may change or need to be adjusted near the end of semesters or other crunch times, it typicall has worked out well so far. I had a good friend give me this advice early on, and it was quite tough the first semester with all the overwhelming things to learn/do, but so far so good. School is temporary, but my relationship with my spouse, my health, and quality of personal life are more important, IMHO.

I was pretty much meaning how much do you spend of your free time.  Probably would have been a better way to phrase it.

My scheudle is a bit unconventional as I spend Tuesday - Thursday at school from anywhere from 2 - 12 hours and get various pockets of work done, other times TAing, etc.  The other days I work elsewhere, where 70% of my free time goes towards reading, reseraching articles, etc.  Then at home depending on the day/night, I spend anywhere from about an hour to six on academic related issues and this was mainly what I was getting at.  How much of your "free time" do you on academics?

In my lab, grad students work 30+ hours not including TA work. RAs work at least 10 hours a day. My direct supervisor, a last year grad student, tends to work 12 hours a day (9 to 9). He got a lot of papers published.

Applied to:
UT, Rice, UPenn, Carnegie,  UCSD.  WashU. Notre Dame. UWashington.