Quick Question about courses - Stats PhD

stardog

Hi all,

I'm a junior math major who will be applying for some Statistics PhD programs that require a Real Analysis class covering measure theory.

My question is if I can take this class in Spring 2014 (not offered in Fall) and still be fully considered for these programs? It's offered this semester, but I feel like I have a full enough schedule already. But if I absolutely had to, I could find a way to take the course this semester.

Thanks

Is there no two semester RA option?  I've always been amazed at the places that cram RA into one semesters worth of work.

In any case, so long as the course covers the basics of measure theory in it's treatment of continuity/differentiation (possibly integration) you should be fine.

Is there no two semester RA option?  I've always been amazed at the places that cram RA into one semesters worth of work.

In any case, so long as the course covers the basics of measure theory in it's treatment of continuity/differentiation (possibly integration) you should be fine.

But my question was if I need to take the course this semester, or if I could possibly wait till next Spring?

I'm a bit confused, Shostakovich. You mean before entering the program, or during studies? Almost every statistics program I looked at included measure theory as part of the coursework. Maybe not under that name, but definitely as a component of Real Analysis studies.

I've never heard of a Stats PhD program that *requires* a real analysis course covering measure theory. Can I ask which program you have in mind?

You can certainly teach Real Analysis without ever going down the measure-theoretic route, but it will leave many students ill-prepared when they get to some of the more rigorous stat programs out there.

I've never heard of a Stats PhD program that *requires* a real analysis course covering measure theory. Can I ask which program you have in mind?

The only one I've read about is Wisconsin: http://www.stat.wisc.edu/FAQ

"PhD students are expected to have had an introduction to measure and integration theory with proofs (similar to UW's Math 629). Books that cover Measure & Integration Proofs are Royden (Real Analysis) and Ash (Real Analysis and Probability)."

I'm a bit confused, Shostakovich. You mean before entering the program, or during studies? Almost every statistics program I looked at included measure theory as part of the coursework. Maybe not under that name, but definitely as a component of Real Analysis studies.

I meant before entering the program. My 2nd undergrad RA course covered measure theory, but I haven't seen it officially listed as a prerequisite for applying to Stats PhD programs. Maybe I didn't look closely enough.

Edited by Shostakovich

The only one I've read about is Wisconsin: http://www.stat.wisc.edu/FAQ

"PhD students are expected to have had an introduction to measure and integration theory with proofs (similar to UW's Math 629). Books that cover Measure & Integration Proofs are Royden (Real Analysis) and Ash (Real Analysis and Probability)."

That course they're quoting is a bit unusual in that it covers differentiation, integration, and measure theory in one semester. Typically, these topics span 2-3 analysis courses. I can promise you that few students accepted directly into Wisconsin stat out of undergrad have had a standalone course in measure theory.

To the OP, if you haven't taken any real analysis yet, I would suggest taking it before you apply. If you've already taken a traditional undergraduate real analysis course covering sequences and series, differentiation, and a bit of integration, then I wouldn't worry about taking measure theory before next year.

Edited by cyberwulf