What are you reading?

Great thread idea. I am taking my time off to finally read things that have been on my list for a while. Right now I am finally reading Maus, and loving it! I'll probably finish it today, and move on to another book I've never gotten around to 'till now - A Clockwork Orange. 

Bluecheese - what are YOU reading now?

I need to read all of Maus at some point. I read part of it once, and then never finished for some reason. The part I read was great.

Ugh. The semester is starting... so reading and writing is ALL that I'm doing. 

I'm in a reading group that's reading:

Being and Time by Heidegger

History of the Concept of Time by Heidegger

On the side I'm reading:

Tool-Being/Heidegger Explained by Graham Harman

Re-reading in conjunction (because it's such a fun book):

Queer Phenomenology by Sara Ahmed

The above will be more of a semester long sort of thing. We've already met twice, so I've already read a bit of each of them.

Besides that, I have to read these other books in the next couple of weeks (because I'm teaching/taking a class):

Teaching:

Family Ties by Clarise Lispector

Cronopios and Famas by Cortazar

Stories in the Worst Way by Gary Lutz

For Class (next two weeks):

Illuminations by Rimbaud

Mute Objects of Expression by Francis Ponge

Also, I have to read parts of books for my thesis (that I should be working on right now). And I want to read the first volume of Proust's big novel since we'll be reading a poetry book based off of it in my graduate seminar later this semester. I'm not sure I'll get to doing that, given that both the class I'm teaching and the class I'm taking have 13 books. But yeah, the semester grind has begun.

Edited by bluecheese

Since I'm not presently in some kind of formal academic program, I'm mostly continuing to read various articles that feed into my major interests. Plenty of emergent work on screens and space, media archaeology, speculative realism/new materialism, but also working through Eivind Røssaak's Between Stillness and Motion and Stanley Cavell's Little Did I Know: Excerpts from Memory.

I don't have a super great relationship to books right now (reading is the only time I feel stressed about the application process) but I'm rereading Joyce's Portrait for a class I'm sitting in on and a handful of other novels that I have all but abandoned until this process is over.

I'm attempting to get through all of Proust's "In Search of Lost Time". I'm about halfway through "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower" right now. I also just finished Erskine Caldwell's "Tobacco Road" and am starting his "God's Little Acre"

Edited by sadthatthisdefinesmylife

The Woman In White is pretty awesome! I'm reading the Song of Ice and Fire series. Again. Not exactly Heidegger, but... in my opinion, much more fun :)

By the way, what do people think of Proust's In Search of Lost Time? I took what was supposed to be a survey course on Modern French Lit, but the visiting professor decided that Proust represented ALL of Modern French Lit, so we were supposed to read all the volumes for the class and nothing else... I'm pretty sure no one in the class read more than 20 pages.

I'm catching up on feminist film criticism for the course I'll be teaching, so reading several articles on that topic, but for my thesis, some other things I'm working on...

Galatea 2.2 (Powers--yay, a novel!)

alterity & transcendence (Levinas)

The Community of Those Who Have Nothing in Common (Lingis)

Alien Phenomenology (Bogost)

The Animal That Therefore I Am (Derrida)

and Tournier's Friday is on the  back burner for my course next semester, but I have a whole week before I have to think about that. :P

Illuminations by Rimbaud

currently (re)reading this myself, at the tail end of Rimbaud's complete works.  also reading some Whitman.  Beckett's Malloy trilogy and Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation are on deck.

hoping to convince myself to make space for Proust in the near future.

Edited by thestage

Great thread idea. I am taking my time off to finally read things that have been on my list for a while. Right now I am finally reading Maus, and loving it! I'll probably finish it today, and move on to another book I've never gotten around to 'till now - A Clockwork Orange. 

Bluecheese - what are YOU reading now?

One of my favorite books; the movie, however, is more difficult to sustain.

As for me: On the Road by Kerouac--makes me feel horribly stationary, but I'm enjoying it!

One of my favorite books; the movie, however, is more difficult to sustain.

Thank you!! In film school, I was something of a pariah because I have a real problem with Kubrick adaptations. I agree that he is a wonderful director, but I disagree with his adaptation philosophy (complete transformation--including theme--rather than just a transformation of media). Also not a huge fan of The Shining for the same reason. I once had a dream where Anthony Burgess and I were sitting on my couch and bitching about Kubrick's adaptation. :rolleyes:

Monogamy by Adam Phillips, In Praise of Athletic Beauty by Hans Ulrich Gumbrecht, L'Erotisme by Georges Bataille, The correspondence of Paul Celan and Ingeborg Bachmann

For class: What Is Pastoralism?, a bunch of pastoral stuff, a bunch of Kafka, and Burning Darkness (an anthology of film criticism)

(reading is the only time I feel stressed about the application process)

I would like to 1. contest the truthiness of this statement (judging from the time you spend on this forum, I bet you feel stressed about the application process quite often, and 2. wonder about some other thinks I won't mention here. 

currently (re)reading this myself, at the tail end of Rimbaud's complete works.  also reading some Whitman.  Beckett's Malloy trilogy and Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation are on deck.   hoping to convince myself to make space for Proust in the near future.
Beckett's Trilogy seriously depressed me.