Fall back plans if no one accepts you

I just finished applying to four grad schools. I have mediocre gpa (3.5) and GRE (301), but I have a great statement of intent, undergrad clinical practicum experience, great extracurricular that are relevant to the field, and I applied to some mid-grade, not very high ranking schools. I think I have a chance of getting in somewhere, but I'm still freaking out, of course.

I was just trying to make a fall back plan in case, God forbid, I don't get in anywhere. Is their anything people would recommend to do to strengthen next year's applications? jobs? retaking the GRE? ect? What does everyone else plan to do if they don't get in?

I think your GPA and GRE scores are good. I don't think you need to worry, especially because you applied to 4 different schools.  Maybe try to find a one-on-one aide job or work as a SLPA and e-mail the school that you are working in the field and to please add it to your application.  Also, meet with them in person (if you live close enough) and ask the coordinator how you stand. I did that because I was really worried and it helps them put a face with your name and shows you are really serious. I got accepted to the one school I applied to in California and my GRE score and GPA is very similar to yours. Good luck!

Edited by runnagal87

lacoulter, have you checked out Grad Cafe's past years' acceptance results or the ASHA stats? I think you're on target for the schools you applied to.

If you don't get in somewhere, I suggest finding an SLP-related work or volunteer position and applying to more schools.

A GRE retake may help, especially if you decide to try for more competitive schools; however, you broke 300, and I think that's more than fine for your current list. (And I think your GPA is fine as well.)

It is good to prepare yourself for the worst, especially because SLP is such a competitive field.

I'm currently in progress on my leveling program so if I don't get accepted this time, I'll assume it is because I have not finished taking 4 required courses. Next year, my prerequisities will be complete so I think I'll have a better chance just because of that. I think I would rewrite my SOP too. My opening paragraph is a childhood anecdote and it's feeling too cliche for comfort in retrospect.

I'm totally freaking out because I'm not moving for grad school, so I've only applied to the 2 in my area.  I have a 3.63 overall, 3.81 major GPA and GRE 315, but both schools are extremely competitive- UT Austin and Texas State.  I have 2 semesters of volunteering, but other applicants have been doing research since Freshman year.  Texas State is not highly ranked, but their acceptance rate is almost identical to UTA's.  

SO, my backup plan is SLP-A wherever I can get it.  I have a sales job right now that would do nothing to better my application if I don't get in this year.  SLP-A jobs are few and far between here, so even if I have to have a long commute I will take any related position I can get if I don't get it.  

It sucks for everyone waiting to hear, but it's especially hard when I'm already way older than everyone because I just want to get in and get to work!

I have a sales job right now that would do nothing to better my application if I don't get in this year.  

I don't agree completely. Obviously, there are jobs that would be better for your application than a job in sales, but considering where the economy stands right now and the fact that SLP-A jobs are few and far between, consider what having a job shows admissions committees. It means that you can show up on time, follow through on commitments, and work well with all kinds of people - a skill set that, sadly, is not as common as you'd think. And especially if your sales job is one that you are doing on top of a heavy volunteer commitment and maybe even an evening class to show your dedication to the field - that tells someone that you manage your time well and work hard, which would make you an asset to a graduate program and future SLP employers.

Of course, I am hoping that you will get into graduate school this cycle, but if you don't, know that any work experience (well, I can think of a few exceptions one might not tell grad schools about...) is valuable on an application.

This is just my opinion and I'm not on an admissions committee, but I have reviewed employment applications for non-retail jobs and we did value retail experience!

lacoulter, have you checked out Grad Cafe's past years' acceptance results or the ASHA stats? I think you're on target for the schools you applied to.

If you don't get in somewhere, I suggest finding an SLP-related work or volunteer position and applying to more schools.

A GRE retake may help, especially if you decide to try for more competitive schools; however, you broke 300, and I think that's more than fine for your current list. (And I think your GPA is fine as well.)

Thanks! I hadn't seen that thread yet. No matter what, I'll be completely worried until I get an acceptance letter for somewhere, though!

I'm freaking out a bit today ... I randomly decided to re-open a document where I typed my answer's to ECU's questionnaire (they don't do an SOP), and I was reading one of my responses which had another school's abbreviation in it ... and I momentarily freaked out that I may have actually submitted the document online that way.  Then, I remembered that I actually re-read the doc as I copied into the online questionnaire and I remember specifically changing the school abbreviation.  Now, the only thing still making me wonder is whether all that happened in my head (changing the school abbreviation) or if I am self-rationalizing or giving my own version of internalized therapy to calm myself down ... Weird!!  I wonder why those things come in our minds THIS late into the application process.  

My back-up plan is to get into the master's program, and if I don't get in that one, then maybe the other one ... you get the idea.  I am ready for a career change pronto.  Mentally I keep reminding myself to stay neutral and remember that I still have my teaching job if my applications don't work out this year, but then I remember all of the reasons for heading into a new career, a new master's degree...

Anyway, my mind is starting to go NUTS since we are all waiting.  This period of time between applications and the notifications is torture!!!  

Some of my app deadlines were Jan 10 or 15, but the majority were Feb 1 or 15 ... so I am just on pins and needles until I hear SOMETHING besides "your application file is complete and has been forwarded to the committee for review."  UGH!! 

I've thought about backup plans, but I truly can't think of another profession to go into. I guess that's what 4 years of intensive undergraduate conditioning gets you  :P But I think I would re-focus on the GRE, since my scores were pretty average. I don't think that re-taking classes would really have an impact, because the lowest grade on my transcript is a B- (in A&P I).

I'm freaking out a bit today ... I randomly decided to re-open a document where I typed my answer's to ECU's questionnaire (they don't do an SOP), and I was reading one of my responses which had another school's abbreviation in it ... and I momentarily freaked out that I may have actually submitted the document online that way.  Then, I remembered that I actually re-read the doc as I copied into the online questionnaire and I remember specifically changing the school abbreviation.  Now, the only thing still making me wonder is whether all that happened in my head (changing the school abbreviation) or if I am self-rationalizing or giving my own version of internalized therapy to calm myself down ... Weird!!  I wonder why those things come in our minds THIS late into the application process.  

My back-up plan is to get into the master's program, and if I don't get in that one, then maybe the other one ... you get the idea.  I am ready for a career change pronto.  Mentally I keep reminding myself to stay neutral and remember that I still have my teaching job if my applications don't work out this year, but then I remember all of the reasons for heading into a new career, a new master's degree...

Anyway, my mind is starting to go NUTS since we are all waiting.  This period of time between applications and the notifications is torture!!!  

Some of my app deadlines were Jan 10 or 15, but the majority were Feb 1 or 15 ... so I am just on pins and needles until I hear SOMETHING besides "your application file is complete and has been forwarded to the committee for review."  UGH!! 

I do the same thing. I checked to make sure i had the right draft of my SOPs like five times. All but one of my apps was due today, so now I just have to sit back and obsessively check my mail. 

I only applied to one graduate school as I am unable to move for graduate studies. Since I've only applied to one school with an avereage GRE score I'm thinking there is a good chance I wont get in. I am working on a post-baccalaureate in SLP right now and while my current GPA is a 3.7, my undergraduate GPA was a 3.0 in neuroscience. My backup plan is to do a full year of volunteer work at a local hospital, re-take the GRE, and reapply next year. I could apply to more graduate schools next year, but I would have over an hour commute each way to attend anywhere else.

I'm just crossing my fingers that I get accepted this year.

My plan B is to hopefully find a different job fairly quickly - preferably related to SLP (my current position is killing me, but it feels wrong to be trying to get a new job when I know that I'll (hopefully!) be quitting in August).

If I don't get into either program, I'll reach out to the departments & ask what I could have done to make my application stronger.  Then I'll do it and apply again next  year.

I was pretty blunt in my SOP and discussions with professors.  In not so many words, I told them they might as well accept me now or they'll get really tired of seeing my name.

Hopefully none of us will have to really worry about a Plan B, but I suppose I'll use the 4th year of my full-ride scholarship to get a post-bacc certificate or do the SLPA program.  Or possibly find work doing respite&hab, school paraprofessional, daycare teacher, etc.  That way, I can make my 2014 application more competitive and start earning $$$ :)

I had this thought the other day. It happened to be the day I was at a Lady Gaga concert, and I was seated near the ASL interpreters. They literally got paid to interpret while dancing the entire concert. I have always wanted to learn ASL, but I basically decided I will be incorporating something like this no matter what happens. 

ellio215, that sounds pretty cool !!  DO IT! ;-)  Just kidding... maybe as a part-time gig since you WILL get into school somewhere. :-)  The POWER of positive thinking, people!  We are ALMOST THERE!!!!