How Rude! (or, when grad programs suck at wooing)

sr0304

I had an odd interview today with a top ranked program. The first part of the interview was spent addressing a question that completely befuddled me: what would you say to someone who thought you were a professional student?

why was I befuddled? i finished my first and second masters in a timely manner, have a publication, have served on committees...if I am a "professional student" then I am working too hard at it. One might say i am working as if i expect to get a job or something.

I have, in fact, heard rather the opposite: that I spend too much time on professionalization and that I am "rushing" into the market, which is also a strange claim, but at least one that can be evidenced.

The interviewer said I gave a great answer. Then, the final twenty minutes was spent talking about why the program is great and supportive. But all I could think about was--who came up with that lame and--I'll say it--hurtful question? If they were at all considering inviting me into the program, you would think they would be a bit more tactful.

Anyways--has anyone else been through an interview wherein they changed their minds about the school they thought was great? Because I was scratching my head for hours thinking, "What was that?" Or am I being too sensitive...

I think they were probably just trying to "get at" your goals for your education, make sure you have a clear plan for where you are going next. I agree that the question is a little off-putting, but that was probably part of the point as well: can you respond to unexpected questions in a professional manner, without getting flustered or defensive? Sounds like you gave them what they were looking for. I don't think it would ruin an otherwise appealing program for me

I don't actually see where being a professional student is such a terrible thing, as long as you're contributing to each field as you reach it. Should we really stop broadening our field of knowledge because someone thinks we've been at it too long? Of course, I don't know how they said it. It does seem possible, as Woosah said, that they were just trying to understand what you're after.

I agree with woosah's take on it.  I wouldn't take it as an insult - they don't know much about you except what's on paper and the interview allows them an opportunity to get a better idea of who you are, your motivations, goals, etc.  Sounds like you handled it well. 

The first part of the interview was spent addressing a question that completely befuddled me: what would you say to someone who thought you were a professional student?

See, this is a question I would love. And, it's actually quite a good one in this context. Consider, these folks are on the verge of making a significant investment in you. You're someone they might bring into their pack for several years. Sniffing you out is an even more crucial part of the process than any SoP or LoR. As woosah mentioned, the purpose of this question is to see how you handle criticism (especially when you're not expecting it). It's a test of maturity, and it sounds like you passed it. So, cheers!

Don't think less of your interviewers. They're just trying to make sure they're investing in forthcoming students that have the thick skin and quick wit necessary to handle a tough program.

And as far as hurtful goes, it would help to note that your interviewers are (I'm assuming) career academics. It's clear that the question was asked from the perspective of someone that would think of a pro student as wasting life (hence, shaking you up), but from your interviewers themselves a title of "Professional Student" is probably a departmental accolade that comes with a shiny sash and a certificate and a party with cake. I think you can safely set your worries aside, mate.

See, this is a question I would love. And, it's actually quite a good one in this context. Consider, these folks are on the verge of making a significant investment in you. You're someone they might bring into their pack for several years. Sniffing you out is an even more crucial part of the process than any SoP or LoR. As woosah mentioned, the purpose of this question is to see how you handle criticism (especially when you're not expecting it). It's a test of maturity, and it sounds like you passed it. So, cheers!

Don't think less of your interviewers. They're just trying to make sure they're investing in forthcoming students that have the thick skin and quick wit necessary to handle a tough program.

And as far as hurtful goes, it would help to note that your interviewers are (I'm assuming) career academics. It's clear that the question was asked from the perspective of someone that would think of a pro student as wasting life (hence, shaking you up), but from your interviewers themselves a title of "Professional Student" is probably a departmental accolade that comes with a shiny sash and a certificate and a party with cake. I think you can safely set your worries aside, mate.

I am a bit calmer after reading these responses (thanks chaps!). but it may be worth mentioning that the question was put in the context of my application in particular. I roughly quote the interviewer: "So, if someone on our admissions committee thought it was an issue that maybe you loved the classroom too much, like you would never leave."

If the question was asked in a context that was broad and more generalized, I would understand. My confusion comes from the question seemingly being directed to my application--perhaps because I have two MAs? I dunno...it didn't sound like "professional student" wasn't a good thing to them.

I did add that if the question was directed to my love for learning things about my field, I am guilty as charged. I then further added that i would want to work with professors who never ceased being a "student" because once a professional stops seeking to learn, it is the beginning of the end.

Perhaps i was being tested. Okay. I can flow with that.

I will say, though, that there are more suave ways of testing. Why not ask, "What do you see yourself specifically doing in the field within the next six-to-ten years?" and see if I have an answer. This whole "What if we thought you were a professional student" thing is still off-putting.

either way, i appreciate the more objective POVs ya'll have.

Edited by sr0304

I roughly quote the interviewer: "So, if someone on our admissions committee thought it was an issue that maybe you loved the classroom too much, like you would never leave."  If the question was asked in a context that was broad and more generalized, I would understand. My confusion comes from the question seemingly being directed to my application--perhaps because I have two MAs? I dunno...it didn't sound like "professional student" wasn't a good thing to them.

I could see how someone on the admission committee may have concerns.  I am assuming here that you have never stopped your schooling and there may be at least one field change in your education since you have two master's degree.  If the admissions committee didn't fully understand your transition to this new field (which I assume is your second master's)-- perhaps they are concerned that you'll want to transition again once you are done with this program (which I am assuming is a PhD program).  Since it is a top program, I imagine that the spots are selective so they want to double check your rationale esp. if there are many qualified applicants in the pool.

When I sat on the admission's committee in my dept, I learned that sometimes it is not about the current applicant, but you remind the faculty of a past student who entered the program but didn't work out for whatever reason.  They just want to make sure that you are committed to the field/program/what not before they commit to you for 5+ years.

I would at least wait until the campus visit day before you rule out the program.  If you still get a negative vibe or bad feelings, then yes don't enroll.  I think it is too early to make that call because we don't (yet) have a pattern of bad behavior.

Edit:  And yes, I too had several weird phone conversations with programs when I was applying.  I chalked it up to academics not being the most socially savvy bunch of individuals. 

Edited by ZeChocMoose