Comparative Literature, 2013

I just saw a Yale acceptance on the results page. So Yale is notifying now?

Yeah, that kind of freaked me out a bit. I e-mailed the graduate secretary, and she just said that we'd be notified on the website or possibly by e-mail. But the website doesn't say anything about being able to view decisions there... do you know if there's a special place to check our status, or is it just the application?

I just saw a Yale acceptance on the results page. So Yale is notifying now?

I saw this last week. It also looks like, in previous years, someone was notified around the 7th/8th as accepted... and a slew of rejections followed the week after...

Were you told when we'd be notified?

I've visited a friend who studies there, but never actually visited the department. I've been to Boston and Cambridge lots of times. My areas are vaguely 20th-century and Contemporary Latin American/Jewish diaspora, so there's a lot of trans-atlantic Yiddish & German dialogue going on there. Lately I've been particularly interested in Brazilian fiction. But who knows, I have some other languages I want to fit in there, and many other random interests. The profs I mentioned were Sorenson and Wisse.

Yeah! I'm currently finishing up a MS Architecture degree (history/theory/criticism). I study 20th century French Lit and how and why and if architecture-space theory can be used to generate fictional settings. I plan to specialize in (loosely) the same thing. I've also been learning Japanese here. Interested in Victorian Lit as well. I've been in touch over the last few months with Tom Conley, although he isn't necessarily a member of Comp Lit but sort of associated with it. He teaches in French Lit and Visual Studies. His wife, Verena, is part of the Comp Lit department. I lived in Cambridge but have never visited the department... 

Also, I received confirmation of receipt for my application on the website after submitting, but never one via e-mail.. It's not possible to check app statuses for Harvard, right?

Excellent! All of your areas sound very colourful and seem to call for a very diverse linguistic ability.

So I see Yiddish, Hebrew, German and Portuguese? Quite nice really.

I also received confirmation after submitting the application. So the application status says 'submitted', but that's all.

I myself am a medievalist. My background is Old Irish/Medieval Welsh and Old French lit, but I want to focus on Medieval Latin and Russian scholarship at Harvard. POI is Jan Ziolkowski who is happy to supervise any future dissertation projects. So proposed four languages for now are Latin, Old French, either Middle High German or Greek, and Russian at least as the instructional language they mention. Also interested in palaeography and digital humanities. So looking at the secondary field in Medieval Studies or Germanic Languages and Literatures. 

I spent a week in Harvard in October and talked to David Damrosch, Gregory Nagy, Jan Ziolkowski, James Engell and Luis Girón-Negron. All of them really helpful and generous with their time.

Hope it all works out in the end!

Good luck to you all!

When I login to my Harvard application, I'm told my application has been submitted. When I check the status of my application (on the left handside), I'm told that the deadline has passed. Confusing! I sent Harvard GSAS my GRE score with ETS upon taking the test... so hopefully this isn't the issue? I hope they received my score. Otherwise I'll be pretty peeved with ETS...

When I login to my Harvard application, I'm told my application has been submitted. When I check the status of my application (on the left handside), I'm told that the deadline has passed. Confusing! I sent Harvard GSAS my GRE score with ETS upon taking the test... so hopefully this isn't the issue? I hope they received my score. Otherwise I'll be pretty peeved with ETS...

Yup, same here. I emailed the dept to ask whether all my materials were in order. If they get back to me, I'll post the response.

Thing is, once you are accepted you need to resubmit all that stuff again anyways.

Hi vvvooommm, I'm also (not so) patiently waiting for comp lit news. I only applied to a few top progarms. Most days I feel that I don't have a chance, but then every so often I think, "Well, maybe...?" Who knows!

Where did you apply to, Lolotte? And what are your areas/languages? Have you received any responses from programmes yet?

Got my first wait list today. DGS informed me that I'm at the top of the list, so if one person backs out, I'm in... Does anybody know anyone who has gotten in off a wait list and actually ended up going to that school? What if you don't hear until April 14th and have to make a decision without ever having visited or gotten a feel for the program?!

I wouldn't give up yet, Rose! I haven't gotten anything official yet, and when I contacted them last week they said they would be having an "official admissions meeting" soon, which I would think means the decisions aren't/weren't finalized yet. In any case, bon courage! I'm rooting hard for you.

That was me. Got a call from Jonathan Eburne about an hour ago. Totally psyched for recruitment weekend! Let me know how things go for you guys, too.

Big cong!!! So happy for you! And anxious for myself, too. May I ask if Eburne notify on behalf of the Dept? Or as POI?

Big cong!!! So happy for you! And anxious for myself, too. May I ask if Eburne notify on behalf of the Dept? Or as POI?

Thanks!About your question, I'm not sure... Prof. Eburne's not really in my field of interest, but we did correspond a few times back in the fall. 

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for you! He said they were hoping to enroll a cohort of 4-6, but are of course admitting more than that.

That was me. Got a call from Jonathan Eburne about an hour ago. Totally psyched for recruitment weekend! Let me know how things go for you guys, too.

Congratulations for you ghijklmn, tough choices you got :)

Edited by Rose Egypt

Thanks!About your question, I'm not sure... Prof. Eburne's not really in my field of interest, but we did correspond a few times back in the fall.    Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for you! He said they were hoping to enroll a cohort of 4-6, but are of course admitting more than that.
Thanks, ghijklmn! Still haven't heard anything yet....