Has anyone heard from MIT EECS?

sandle123

I have trouble believing that... it would be very non-characteristc of them. I suppose it's possible, but unlikely. Plus, if you convince yourself its BS, and then it turns out to be real, then that's good. If you buy into it, and it turns out to be be BS, then that's bad. 

Try not to let your desires blur the reality of what the data/statistics show. I'm not saying it's impossible, again, just that the probability is low that many more people will be accepted. 

I also called the EECS office and they told me the same thing about the results most likely being posted this Friday (Feb 22) but possibly as late as March 1.

If you look at the results page on GradCafe, there are really only 7 people who posted that they were accepted to either Electrical Engineering or EECS. The rest are all Computer Science. And as someone previously mentioned, those 7 posts might just be trolls. Even if not, I find it surprising that only 7 people who aren't Computer Science have gotten in and posted on this site. 

another week(or maybe two) of waiting? Heaven keep me alive till then. Am so desperate to know the results and move on !!!!!!!

Except 3 results,all others lacked credibility. One of the result in elec. Engg. Is just copied from a previous year Elec. Engg results. :-( :-( :-(

MIT's FAQ page regarding admission says that ' a very strong candidate for admission will contacted by e-mail by our graduate office in case of any missing documentation'. just read it now.

http://www.eecs.mit.edu/academics-admissions/graduate-program/faqs

i got a mail from their office on Jan 3rd asking me to contact my recommenders and ask them to mail their letters soon . Is it any indication of mine application being in consideration?

Edited by mitindian

Eh, it means that at one point they cared enough about you to ask for your missing letters. Unless they did that for everyone who was missing a letter, it suggests your application didn't go by totally unnoticed/ignored. Beyond that, it's all speculation.

It is fun to go off on a daydream about what these little "signs"/events could mean (if anything) though. And then equally not fun to play the opposite scenario immediately afterward. 

well,yah,it's a day dream and fanciful thought. I googled it out and seems nobody ever had got mails to submit their LORs. Mostly it's from POI. And again,am thrown into uncertainity.

Actually i missed all 3 letters :-P i didn't mail the link to my recommenders and it's said letters can arrive till early Jan.

Let me assume it's over for this year and go with a mediocre job or something !!!

@mitindian It is funny how determined you are to give up hope. You're like that kid with the put up bravado who's trying so hard to convince themselves nothing will ever go right, that way if whatever they're waiting for doesnt go right, they can claim to have seen it coming and pretend not to be disappointed. It is kinda funny reading your short post history and watching you go from optimistic to suddenly being despondent and changing your tune.

I work in Boston at a firm affiliated with MIT(started by MIT faculty). I work professionally in my field with quite a lot of current MIT faculty and of course they're too ethical to say anything outright but from hearsay and indirect questions, what I've so far gathered from them is that what admissions is saying is right. They might have accepted a few people(POI wanted them and had the funding, etc) but yes, we are going to hear back from MIT on the bulk of admits and rejects very soon. Friday should be here in 3 days so we'll see in 3 days! Good luck everyone!

PS: It is really obvious that more than half of MIT admits posted in the results are trolls as you yourself pointed out in your first post. Anyway, if youre so convinced that youve already been rejected, please feel free to email them right now to withdraw your app just incase you're holding up  a position that someone else will gladly take. 

Edited by Comrade_S

If it gives you guys any hope, I just received an email saying that I was waitlisted. Not all hope is lost yet.

PS. They also said they had 3000 applicants for 165 positions. It's a really tough battle.

peeps check out this group

http://m.facebook.com/groups/350179911762383?refid=48

the group is started by graduation student association and some queries are revealing. The GSA member says most of the admits are informed but they are not sure since they're not connected.

Few posts suggest atleast half are notified. They were talking about visit days for admits.

peeps check out this group

http://m.facebook.com/groups/350179911762383?refid=48

the group is started by graduation student association and some queries are revealing. The GSA member says most of the admits are informed but they are not sure since they're not connected.

Few posts suggest atleast half are notified. They were talking about visit days for admits.

Yeah, after seeing this page: http://scripts.mit.edu/~eecsgsa/index.php

I think everyone's fate is sealed.